Turn your PS-Vita / PSTV into a fantastic emulation machine.

dumpster

Excellent. Thank you.

Restarted Soul Reaver on the Vita rather than through ReDream on my PC as it's just much more convenient. I wasn't  that far in anyway

2 hours ago, wev said:

Excellent. Thank you.

Restarted Soul Reaver on the Vita rather than through ReDream on my PC as it's just much more convenient. I wasn't  that far in anyway

You having success with Dreamcast emulation on the Vita?  

On 02/05/2021 at 21:58, dumpster said:

You having success with Dreamcast emulation on the Vita?  

Nooooo.

I originally started on epsxe on pc, but was having controller issues, then switched to ReDream (again PC) but now back on the PS1 version on Vita for convenience.

Has dreamcast emulation on the vita improved any? haven't had one for about a while now but flycast was so painful to even try when I did have one

Just so slow. It looked great though I really wanted it to work. 

11 hours ago, Wonderm said:

Has dreamcast emulation on the vita improved any? haven't had one for about a while now but flycast was so painful to even try when I did have one

Just so slow. It looked great though I really wanted it to work. 

There are lots of videos on YouTube showing how fantastic It is, but they all seem to coincidentally use Marvel versus Capcom as the game to demonstrate. Everything I've tried runs dreadfully slowly. 

That's what I thought, oh well. 

Wish there was something with the form factor of the vita that could emulate upto dreamcast, it's just right for everything else

Or up to gamecube even. Maybe one day

• 4 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, I have a PS vita turning up that's already hacked, as i'm new to this sort of thing I have a couple of questions, hopefully someone can answer them :)

Can you access the store once it's hacked or is that it, never again?

Can I sync ps vita game trophies if I want to?

Is it easy enough to reset it back to factory settings if I decided down the road to move away from the homebrew stuff?

And then it comes with an SD2vita, if I did remove the homebrew stuff, would this still work or does it only work because it's hacked?

It comes pre-installed with H-encore, iis it worth leaving this on there or can I / should I swap it to henkaku?

Oh and finally, I can't wait to play some of the breath of fire games on this :D

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Luseth said:

Just out of curiosity, I have a PS vita turning up that's already hacked, as i'm new to this sort of thing I have a couple of questions, hopefully someone can answer them :)

Can you access the store once it's hacked or is that it, never again?

Can I sync ps vita game trophies if I want to?

Is it easy enough to reset it back to factory settings if I decided down the road to move away from the homebrew stuff?

And then it comes with an SD2vita, if I did remove the homebrew stuff, would this still work or does it only work because it's hacked?

It comes pre-installed with H-encore, iis it worth leaving this on there or can I / should I swap it to henkaku?

Oh and finally, I can't wait to play some of the breath of fire games on this :D

You can still access the store, but you might have to spoof the firmware so the store thinks you're on the most recent version (this is easily done in the settings). You can still sync trophies, no problem.

Pretty sure all mods are temporary. With h-encore, rebooting the machine effectively gets you back to a normal unhacked Vita. You have to run h-encore every time you fully power down. I don't know how to remove henkaku, so I wouldn't bother with it. I've used h-encore for ages and never felt the need to install henkaku. I just re-run the h-encore app any time the machine has been off for a while. Or you can keep it asleep and it works fine.

Pretty sure SD2Vita requires the hack to work but I've never used it.

EDIT: Just a thought, if it's got h-encore on it already, it must have somebody's PSN details activated. If you wanted to put your own PSN account on it, you would need to go through the hacking process again because the Vita has to be wiped to change accounts. Worth bearing in mind.

Edited by Sprite Machine

19 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

You can still access the store, but you might have to spoof the firmware so the store thinks you're on the most recent version (this is easily done in the settings). You can still sync trophies, no problem.

Pretty sure all mods are temporary. With h-encore, rebooting the machine effectively gets you back to a normal unhacked Vita. You have to run h-encore every time you fully power down. I don't know how to remove henkaku, so I wouldn't bother with it. I've used h-encore for ages and never felt the need to install henkaku. I just re-run the h-encore app any time the machine has been off for a while. Or you can keep it asleep and it works fine.

Pretty sure SD2Vita requires the hack to work but I've never used it.

EDIT: Just a thought, if it's got h-encore on it already, it must have somebody's PSN details activated. If you wanted to put your own PSN account on it, you would need to go through the hacking process again because the Vita has to be wiped to change accounts. Worth bearing in mind.

Ah I didn't think of that, is the original web page in this thread the best way to go about installing it? If so i'll have a read through and see if i'm comfortable re-doing it ^_^

5 hours ago, Luseth said:

Ah I didn't think of that, is the original web page in this thread the best way to go about installing it? If so i'll have a read through and see if i'm comfortable re-doing it ^_^

Yeah, I think so. It's been a while since I did it but it looks like a similar process.

I'm not 100% sure about all the different firmwares but if you follow the guide, ideally you want to install Enzo as your mod if it's possible.  That's a permanent mod.  

Sd2vita does need an active hack to run. 

I do recommend doing a full wipe and setting it up from scratch if you want to remove someone’s details. Once you downgrade to 3.60 you can do anything with them. 

Make sure the Vita is NOT BANNED BEFORE you delete anything!!

If it is banned, you can't get on to Content Manager to shuttle across the required files for downgrading, as I discovered a while back, so if it has someones details on there, use those to downgrade it to 3.60 , THEN wipe it, as at 3.60, you don't need PSN access to run the hack, just the web browser stuff.

2 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Make sure the Vita is NOT BANNED BEFORE you delete anything!!

If it is banned, you can't get on to Content Manager to shuttle across the required files for downgrading, as I discovered a while back, so if it has someones details on there, use those to downgrade it to 3.60 , THEN wipe it, as at 3.60, you don't need PSN access to run the hack, just the web browser stuff.

Thanks guys, i'll have another re-read of your posts before I do anything with it I think but yeah ideally i'd like my details on there.

@MikeBeaver there isn't a mention of it being banned on the ebay ad and with their protections I imagine if it is I'd be within my rights to send it back i'd have thought? What's the best way to check? Try to go on the store or use the content manager before I do anything else with it?

16 minutes ago, Luseth said:

Thanks guys, i'll have another re-read of your posts before I do anything with it I think but yeah ideally i'd like my details on there.

@MikeBeaver there isn't a mention of it being banned on the ebay ad and with their protections I imagine if it is I'd be within my rights to send it back i'd have thought? What's the best way to check? Try to go on the store or use the content manager before I do anything else with it?

Just try to use content manager first, I'd never seen a banned one, so never used to check... then I sold one, and it turned out to be banned, so yeah, we live an learn 😛

You would indeed be protected by eBay, but it would be a PITA having to mess around after deleting their stuff, much easier just to test it beforehand.

Check what firmware it’s on first. 3.73 is the latest, 3.65 is a good one, 3.60 is the best. 

I don’t recall needing content manager to downgrade, there was a standalone tool I used. Let me find it. 

edit: https://vita.hacks.guide/downgrading-firmware-(3.60)

since it already has h-encore you can do this to downgrade it then do a reset to clear any other details off it. 

once it’s on 3.60 you can do everything. 

I bought my Vita off here pre-modded, it is firmware 3.65 and has H.encore but I don't have to run it every boot, it just works. Not sure how or what makes it do that. I have half a mind to reset it and do it so I know where I stand with it but it works, plays all my emulators, does Adrenaline, all that good stuff, so I don't really want to mess with it.

1 minute ago, Vimster said:

I bought my Vita off here pre-modded, it is firmware 3.65 and has H.encore but I don't have to run it every boot, it just works. Not sure how or what makes it do that. I have half a mind to reset it and do it so I know where I stand with it but it works, plays all my emulators, does Adrenaline, all that good stuff, so I don't really want to mess with it.

You've got Enso installed, makes it a permenant hack :)

So i'm up and running with it now, it's not banned and I've redownloaded a bunch of games from the store ^_^

So I think I have most of it down, does anyone have any recommended add ons etc?

50 minutes ago, Luseth said:

So i'm up and running with it now, it's not banned and I've redownloaded a bunch of games from the store ^_^

So I think I have most of it down, does anyone have any recommended add ons etc?

Vita Homebrew Browser is a good start. Then I'd say VitaShell for copying files, Autoplugin for installing OS-level plugins, Retroarch is pretty good. Adrenaline for a PSP inside your Vita. There are ones that facilitate piracy that won't be mentioned here. 

I'd recommend getting GTA San AndreS on there, such a cool game, the files are easy enough to grab, but you need to provide your own data folder from the GTA SA port on Android.

8 hours ago, Vimster said:

Vita Homebrew Browser is a good start. Then I'd say VitaShell for copying files, Autoplugin for installing OS-level plugins, Retroarch is pretty good. Adrenaline for a PSP inside your Vita. There are ones that facilitate piracy that won't be mentioned here. 

Thanks, vitashell I have already as I needed it to downgrade etc, seemed useful to keep on there with the ftp server, autoplugin I have as it seemed the easiest way to get my sd2vita up and running as well :) Retroarch I've installed but not used yet. So the browser i'll have a look for and then adrenaline looks like a good shout, I have a copy of final fantasy tactics on the shelf that i've been meaning to replay ^_^

As for piracy i'm not really into that anyway's, the big thing for me was the storage as I had a vita ages back and have a nice digital library to download :)

7 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

I'd recommend getting GTA San AndreS on there, such a cool game, the files are easy enough to grab, but you need to provide your own data folder from the GTA SA port on Android.

Thanks, might be one for the future :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I was thinking of picking up one of those little retro handheld machines for some portable fun, but now also saw this about how it's possible and apparently not too hard to hack a Vita for similar results.

I've dug out my Vita and checked it's FW version and it's on 3.67. I saw some links to a vitahacks site some posts back, is it best to leave it on that FW and follow those guides?

Only I saw this vid and he's saying to update to 3.73 first and then do the other bits...

I've just got a 16gb card in it currently, but I'd be looking to get the microSD adaptor and chuck in a bigger card. Will my games and stuff on the Sony card stay safe through the hack process and be able to get transferred or redowloaded onto a microSD when I get that?

:unsure:

Yes, everything on your Sony card can be kept intact and transferred on to the microSD card during the process. If you follow the https://vita.hacks.guide/ instructions, it'll even tell you exactly how to do that bit. You can even leave the original versions of things on your Sony card so you can easily switch back in the future.

On 14/06/2021 at 07:27, Alex W. said:

Yes, everything on your Sony card can be kept intact and transferred on to the microSD card during the process. If you follow the https://vita.hacks.guide/ instructions, it'll even tell you exactly how to do that bit. You can even leave the original versions of things on your Sony card so you can easily switch back in the future.

I've got up to step 4 completed ok and it's downgraded to 3.60, but step 5 "Install Henkaku" is giving me troubles maybe.

I went in the browser to the henkaku site and selected the install options where it appeared to do its stuff. But I'm supposed to now have a molecularShell bubble on my home screen...I don't :unsure:

It seems to have installed the Henkaku though, as when I go into the settings it's showing now as Henkaku settings?

Step 6 for installing Enso starts off with "launch molecularShell or VitaShell". I don't have molecular, but do still have VitaShell from one of the previous steps. Am I cool to just try carry on without molecularShell and use VitaShell?

7 minutes ago, Meatball said:

I've got up to step 4 completed ok and it's downgraded to 3.60, but step 5 "Install Henkaku" is giving me troubles maybe.

I went in the browser to the henkaku site and selected the install options where it appeared to do its stuff. But I'm supposed to now have a molecularShell bubble on my home screen...I don't :unsure:

It seems to have installed the Henkaku though, as when I go into the settings it's showing now as Henkaku settings?

Step 6 for installing Enso starts off with "launch molecularShell or VitaShell". I don't have molecular, but do still have VitaShell from one of the previous steps. Am I cool to just try carry on without molecularShell and use VitaShell?

Have you got a memory card installed if you're using an OLED mode? If not, there isn't anywhere for it to download Molecular Shell to.

If you have, then I think the TINY writting as the hack starts, tells you that you can hold ( X I think ) lets you reinstall Molecular