Judgment: detective game spinoff from Yakuza series

mr_woo

Played 4 hours over the past couple of days. I love it.

It's just an absolute delight to walk about and take in the sites of Kamuracho from a different perspective (while still engaging in some skull bashing).

I'm liking the detective stuff and the sense of unease that's building slowly in the story.

@Calashnikov I can confirm that the virtual tourism in Yakuza and in this is perfect. You're going to love Tokyo, it's fucking brilliant. Fun fact you may already know: Kamurocho is actually Kabukicho in real life. And just to get you in the mood, in addition to playing Judgment you can listen to this really dope track that's actually about Kabukicho performed by a dude who looks like he could be a street thug straight out Yakuza:

I’ve actually been to Tokyo before, but it was a long time ago. Way before I’d played any Yakuza. I recognised much of Shibuya from Jet Set Radio at the time. It was that sort of era.

I actually haven’t been thaaaat hyped to try Judgment and probably wouldn’t be thinking of checking it out if it wasn’t for the upcoming trip. I’d rather play Yak 6 for my contemporary Kamurocho / Kabukicho reconnaissance but I don’t wanna go near that until I’ve nailed Yax 3, 4 & 5 in that upcoming collection, and there’s no way all four games are getting battered through before the end of March. So I’m thinking Judgment for 20 banger is the shout.

EDIT: ill track btw!

I think in the long run all the detective modes are underdone. They don't really develop over the course of the game and there's only so many times you can get enjoyment out of following someone around the same streets. It's all far too drawn out given how shallow a lot of the activities are, even if you only do the main missions.

That said, the change in characters and story gives it a fresh perspective, Yagami is a likeable chap, and the tone is still as wonderfully daft as ever in places. You could also lose a good few hours to the drone racing sub-game, which is surprisingly good.

15 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I’m actually swithering over booking myself into APA Hotel in “Theatre Square” when I go:

I think they turned the APA Hotel back into something else for Judgment. Maybe they lost the rights. So it's only there in Yakuza 6.

I haven't been to Japan but I explored Kabukicho in Google Maps quite thoroughly, and was interested to see how many things are faithfully there, in roughly the same places. Apparently the Don Quijote store is always busy because of tourists. Another thing I've heard about Shinjuku in general is that everyone is rowdy and drunk at night, and everywhere you look you'll see people puking in the gutters. So that's nice.

As for Judgment: I played it last year. It's almost as good as a Yakuza game, and it's the best version of Kamurocho in the Dragon engine yet. It gets a bit repetitive with the trailing sequences and looking-for-evidence sequences, but otherwise it's just like a Yakuza game. The plot unfolds in the same kind of intriguing way. Yagami is very likeable and capable, though you miss the way that Kiryu would have reacted to things.

• 3 months later...

This is a bit good isn't it. After finally finishing Yakuza 0 and not liking the sounds my 2014 vintage PS4 makes when it's running God of War I decided to play this game next. Only a couple of hours in and playing with the dub it's great so far.  It's great just to wander around Kamurocho and my only issues so far are the fact none of the vending machines work after becoming used to getting drinks from them playing Persona 5 and that nothing is nailed down anymore which means I've having to adjust how I move around the world because to start off with I was knocking absolutely everything over and bumping into everyone when moving around the world. The stray cats meowing on every story mission are annoying as well. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm probably just too old, with failing eyesight and reflexes but... HOW DO I DO THE BASEBALL MINIGAME? 

I just can't do it. I'm so close to having all the friends and all the side missions, but the guy in the baseball centre is like the elephant in the room. Apparently if I finish a couple of courses, he sells me a golden bat that makes the baseball game easier. I can't even manage that!

Pushing 50 hours in this. I'm normally the kind of old misery guts who says "if I want a story I'll watch a film", but the core story in this is excellent. Twisty turny, doesn't end up where you think it will. I've just found the whole world so charming, I don't really want to leave.

To beat the baseball minigame - use a notepad. In all but the final (few?) course(s?) the ball should always take the same path, so just jot down where each pitch winds up and have it handy as a reference. Then you need to get lucky to finish it off in the hardest run(s?), but you should have your new bat and some more understanding of how the ball curves by then. 

I seriously hope I'm remembering Judgment and not another Yakuza game. It's been a while.

On 13/08/2020 at 16:00, Jashin said:

What’s the best difficulty to play this on?

You'll be fine on Normal. The game warns you before you head into a lengthy fight sequence, when that happens just stock up on health items beforehand. And do some side quests to level up, but you'll be doing this anyway because they're just so good.

13 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

To beat the baseball minigame - use a notepad. In all but the final (few?) course(s?) the ball should always take the same path, so just jot down where each pitch winds up and have it handy as a reference. Then you need to get lucky to finish it off in the hardest run(s?), but you should have your new bat and some more understanding of how the ball curves by then. 

I seriously hope I'm remembering Judgment and not another Yakuza game. It's been a while.

I've read guides with the list of where all the pitches go... it doesn't seem to make any difference. I can usually only connect with the ball once or twice in a course. I keep thinking I must be misunderstanding something fundamental about it

44 minutes ago, scissorkicks said:

I've read guides with the list of where all the pitches go... it doesn't seem to make any difference. I can usually only connect with the ball once or twice in a course. I keep thinking I must be misunderstanding something fundamental about it

I’ve finished all the courses. it’s not too bad once you get the hang (and I’m generally not a particularly skilled gamer). 

First thing is, the pitches are always in the same order on each course. So you can learn exactly where the ball will end up every time. 

The ball will always land in the centre of a square, so if you number the squares like a key pad, you can remember (or write down) the sequence for each course. So if you imagine a key pad like this:

7 8 9

4 5 6

1 2 3

Then the numbers for the King of Kamurocho course would be: 5, 5, 7, 3, 1,6, 8, 2, 7, 3

So once you know the sequence for that course, you just move the cursor to the middle of the square the ball will land in at the start of the pitch, then just watch the yellow ring and hit ‘X’ when it’s the same size as your ball to get the timing. 

I would generally remember 3 key pad numbers, then hit start to pause when the next pitch starts, remember the next three key pad numbers, and so on. 

There’s a more detailed explanation and full lists of the numbers here:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/247615-judgment/faqs/77509/batting-center

It’s really not too bad once you get your head round it. 

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

The battle system in this is pretty good.

Do all Yakuza games have a similar battle system?

EDIT: Scratch that. Are all Yakuza games this awesome? Really loving this; the setting, the characters, the tailing, the fighting... Stick it in my veins!!

Kinda. The battle system is a lot more refined in Jdgment because it's a newer endine. That said, it's not drastically different in the older ones. You should definitely give Yakuza 0 a go if you're that into Judgment. It's also set in Kamarocho but in t he 80's! All the Yakuza games have the same setting, but it's great how they evolve over the years.

I definitely recommend playing on Normal (if not Easy). I made the mistake of playing on Hard and while there were other issues that made the game begin to slog in the back half (tailing missions are abundant and no game has ever made them enjoyable), the difficulty made particular fights just feel like horseshit. Call it Super Armour: The Game for how often both enemies and Yagami would just not respond to attacks and be stuck in attack animations. This felt especially bad on Hard as enemies would deal a truckload of damage, and there were numerous occasions where I'd die in fights due to either enemies not responding to my attacks or myself being stuck in an overlong animation while enemies shot down my health. Felt nowhere near as responsive as other Yakuza titles, or maybe it was more late-game combat unlockables I had yet to get.

Story is as delightfully campy as ever, though the final boss may be my shout for the worst across the entire series.

Wait...

You.

can.

play.

Motor Raid in this?

Why isn't this printed in huge letters on the box?!

This is the best bonus in a game ever!!

This game is obviously the Shenmue III I really wanted. Judment's arcade >>>>> Shenmue's arcade. And Virtua Fighter >>>> Tekken obviously.

God I hope the rumours about MS buying Sega aren't true. Yakuza belongs on the PS

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing this alongside Yakuza 0, and I must say I'm liking the characters and story development a lot more in Judgment. Even the combat seems more engaging.

Will I now incur the curse of Hermano Hornio ?

I just noticed the protagonist's stakeout clothes is just adding sunglasses and a beanie to his regular clothes :p

• 3 months later...

The re-release will feature a 60 frames per second frame rate, improved load times, and all previously released downloadable content.

A physical edition will be available for both PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series in the west, and for PlayStation 5 in Japan and Asia. The digital edition will be available worldwide. There is no upgrade path or save data transfer for users who own the PlayStation 4 version.