IGNORED

The Celebrity Death Thread - Minor, Major, Famous, Infamous

Goose

• 3 weeks later...

Estelle Harris, who played George Costanza's mother in Seinfeld and Mrs Potato Head in the Toy Story films has died.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/estelle-harris-dead-seinfelds-estelle-costanza-was-93-1234993091/

She played an amazing character as George's mother with some of the best lines in the whole show.

I come home to find my son treating his body like an amusement park!

9 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

Estelle Harris, who played George Costanza's mother in Seinfeld and Mrs Potato Head in the Toy Story films has died.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/estelle-harris-dead-seinfelds-estelle-costanza-was-93-1234993091/

She played an amazing character as George's mother with some of the best lines in the whole show.

That’s really sad, she was so fantastic in Seinfeld. 

1 hour ago, Graham S said:

Wow, that is a shockingly awful twisting of the original quote - surely bordering on libellous?

Did Dot Cotton ever say anything mean about Murdoch as it seems a really odd, almost vindictive, way to open an obituary?

Wouldn't it be nice, just for once, to see/hear/read something and not have to second-guess whether it is true or not?

What a crappy world of misinformation we live in. 

11 hours ago, Mike S said:

Wow, that is a shockingly awful twisting of the original quote - surely bordering on libellous?

Did Dot Cotton ever say anything mean about Murdoch as it seems a really odd, almost vindictive, way to open an obituary?

It’s crappy journalism - and weird given that most newspaper obits are prepared years and in some cases decades in advance - but I don’t think you can libel folks no longer living. 

20 minutes ago, loathsomeleopard said:

It’s crappy journalism - and weird given that most newspaper obits are prepared years and in some cases decades in advance - but I don’t think you can libel folks no longer living. 

It is being very kind to describe it as crappy journalism I'd say.

Really, it is cynically awful in it's sensationalist misrepresentation of an individual. To go from 'nothing she liked better than shoving a rabbit in a biscuit tin, gassing it, and then dissecting it' to the truth of her not gassing anything, having sympathy for said rabbit, and then dissecting a frog seems a step beyond crappy journalism as well as being spectacularly inappropriate to lead an obit of someone with such a long life and career behind her. If I were a grieving relative I'd be pretty upset at that sort of defamation being published.

I don't know a lot about libel law so don't know how it applies to the dead but surely there must me some grounds here to force an apology. Even if it be only via the empathy of the rag's editor. But, as it's The Times I imagine empathy is a rare resource.

I hope Mic Wright has something to say about it.

I don't know how that kind of thing is handled in the UK -- there's usually a press council or similar that might request such a thing, and I agree, it's awful -- but that's not likely to undo the reputational damage already done. There might even be a quirk of UK law that applies, though I doubt it -- one of the big reasons why (for example) the whole Saville thing came out was because those reporting it no longer had to fear a visit from a herd of expensive lawyers...

• Goose changed the title to The Celebrity Death Thread - Minor, Major, Famous, Infamous