IGNORED

Taskmaster

Papaya Dance

Hurrah. Absolutely adore TM. Found last series utterly dull but assumed thats just me. Glad others found it less interesting and yes, S7 is laugh out loud wonderfulness. 

The best thing about potato gate was the whole task from everyone: Katherine Ryan especially. Her talking about not getting sport plus have been a memorable highlight of the series until Joe absolutely won all of tv comedy with that scene.

Taskmaster has also given me my one and only proper block on twitter :) Roisin Connaught blocked me when I said in a Taskmaster thread that i find her, Paul Chowdhery and Nash Kumar  awful tv presences that I avoid at all costs. Someone suggested a loser of losers spin off which is pretty much the only Taskmaster version I’d never ever tune into. Mark Watson, Lolly and Asim yes, could happily watch them lose over and over again. Roisin, Paul and Nish would try badly, fail through idiocy/incompetence then spit their toys out of the pram over and over again. Even their voices were grating irritants to me. I stopped watching s1 over Roisin, gritted teeth through the other two. Found Russel Howard unexpectedly dull too, which I wasnt expetting.  

Regardless. My favourite thing on tv. (If you like this you may like Fighting which I find thematically similar).

Wat. Paul and Nish were hilarious and lovely.

Every season @donpeartree and I have a competition where we vote for who we think will win it within the first episode. It’s been a pretty even split so far but I reckon I have him beaten this season with my Kerry vote against his Rhod (she just got a MAJOR lead on the last episode). Altough I can’t say I’d be majorly unhappy if Jess won it, she’s been surprisingly funny ^_^

I agree with Russell Howard. My wife and I were very disappointed in him and the last season overall. 

This latest season has easily been one of the best, there's been so many laugh out loud moments. I'm watching on UKPlay app so a week ahead of TV, but there's a moment with a fez that had me proper belly laughing. Also angry James is the best James.

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

giphy.gif

Was a superb season, thought everyone contributed a lot.

Superb episode to round it off last night too, I'll miss this bunch.

According to Reddit, series 8 airs in May, so not too long to wait.

Definitely worth checking out the youtube/twitter pages too, there's lots of outtakes and deleted tasks that are well worth a watch.

Agree the boiler suit task was the best one ever. This has possibly been my favourite series overall as well. There's usually at least one contestant I'm not keen on and although Jessica grated on me a bit at first she really grew on me over the series. 

Spoiler

Acaster would've been a great winner had his temper not let him down so many times, though it did produce some fabulous moments. Godliman ended up my second favourite after him so I'm glad she won.

16 hours ago, cassidy said:

Yeah brilliant telly as always.  Long may it continue. Has anyone watched the US version yet. Is it worth trying? 

Watched the first episode and thought it was okay. But the fact that I've never got around to watching any more probably speaks volumes.

23 hours ago, cassidy said:

Yeah brilliant telly as always.  Long may it continue. Has anyone watched the US version yet. Is it worth trying? 

It isn't terrible but it isn't a patch on our version.

Most of the tasks were straight out of the UK show, and there's some enjoyment to be had. However, the main problem was the episodes were just over 20 minutes long*, which covered a couple of recorded tasks and the live task. It was a lot to fit in, and unfortunately it was the discussions and arguments in the studio that lost out. It also didn't help that none of the contestants were (AFAIK) particularly big names, and I didn't like three of the five. It doesn't sound like it did well ratings-wise so probably won't be returning.

* The Spanish version had five episodes, each of which were about 90 minutes long.

Finally caught up with the finale and think that was easily my favourite series out of them all, it had me in hysterics.

It was a great finale too and I loved the video game recreations.

Rhod was so clever with that tying up task but I'm surprised Greg didn't pick up on how he completely forgot about the siren after saying "yeah, I'm not a fucking idoit am I" about it earlier.

I really wanna go and see this recorded in the studio.

• 6 months later...

What do people make of the start of series 8? I hope I'm wrong but I've got a horrible feeling this is a bit of a dud line up. I only knew Inbetweeners guy and the chase guy to begin with but nobody really stood out in that first episode. I had a couple of chuckles but nothing like the regular LOLs last season was regularly whacking out. Hope it improves.

I love Taskmaster but there's definitely a bit of barrel scraping going on for this series. Judging by the first episode Lou Sanders (who I've never heard of) is the only remotely funny one, the rest we'll just have to hope deliver the funnies due to the situations. Joe Thomas comes across like he's got social anxiety.

I did really enjoy the bridge hide-and-seek game though.

I quite liked it, although there's definetly a caricature angle going on I think. CBeebies guy was the Angry Acaster, The Chase guy was obviously the Useless One, Lou Sanders was Competent Female, red haired lady was Useless Ones Competition and Inbetweeners was Guy Who Knows Greg/Awkward Guy

9 hours ago, cassidy said:

Well I just enjoyed it and laughed a lot. 

And I had massive concerns about those competing. 

Me too I enjoyed it as well. The bridge hide and seek was good (I dreamed I was doing it last night)

Joe Thomas is the only one I knew about going into but the others did have me laughing. Might already be developing a crush on Lou Sanders.

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

Just caught up with this series after smashing through the other seven while I was off work incapacitated recently. Can’t believe I never gave it a chance before. 

Which has been your favourite series/contestant from the smash session? Bob Mortimer has been the best for me, though I haven't seen the early series since they were first on so would struggle to pick a favourite series now.

1 hour ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Acaster and Wang is peak taskmaster so far. Acaster losing the plot because he failed to show his improved hula hop skill, then getting pissed off over rod Gilbert being useless was just pure comedy gold

That was amazing, but...

https://amp-reddit-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.reddit.com/r/taskmaster/comments/9eppc8/bob_mortimers_face_mask/?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQECAEoAQ%3D%3D

12 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Which has been your favourite series/contestant from the smash session? Bob Mortimer has been the best for me, though I haven't seen the early series since they were first on so would struggle to pick a favourite series now.

Now there’s a question ! Bob’s definitely up there as a contestant. I liked Noel Fielding as well, and Nish Kumar was good too, in an inept way. Favourite series is very close between five and seven - some of Rhod Gilbert’s solutions were the work of a madman, and Acaster/Wang were really funny in that series. Acaster never acknowledging Alex Horne always made me laugh.

36 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

I would love to see Paul Foot on a series of this.  His nonsense would be perfect.

I dunno. I like Paul Foot but he was on Would I Lie to You? and was very weak. I wonder if his humour doesn't translate to TV well... Although tasks would maybe be a better fit. I'd prefer him over Iain Love Island any day. Someone who just got massively lucky.