Animal Crossing: New Horizons

23 minutes ago, spanx said:

@Danster Was going off this..

189265042_Screenshot2020-04-28at14_07_35.thumb.png.681dc5c5136f8a4303a5acfdc798afd4.png

A lot of my purples and blacks will be clones which hopefully doesn't matter.  I'm gonna try that from the black + yellow seed stage

Hmm, actually a lot of my purples will probably be wrong, Arrgh!

5 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

They can’t be customised :( it’s really annoying.

Ah, shame. Rethink needed then. 

Trying to find decent pavements and roads is a ballache. Any suggestions?

4 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

A lot of my purples and blacks will be clones which hopefully doesn't matter.  I'm gonna try that from the black + yellow seed stage

Hmm, actually a lot of my purples will probably be wrong, Arrgh!

I don't think you can go wrong with the Purples. 

Roses can be a nightmare. Note the 1.6% chance of a blue in that method above. In time you can get it. And in fact some will get it quickly but you could be quite unlucky and wait a while.

There are a number of different routes which can give better odds at the end.

BLUEROSEGUIDE-1_compress68.thumb.jpg.17a6e97930c36d832e8e1afa5d765804.jpg

This is pretty amusing!

https://www.ft.com/content/68f96d24-02f0-42fd-b132-aba0acba777f

Spoiler

Virtual rate cut forces Nintendo gamers into riskier assets

Shock among users as Animal Crossing’s Bank of Nook slashes rates to near zero

an hour ago

‘Animal Crossing’ players must now speculate to make money after the Bank of Nook imposed a steep interest rate cut © FT montage; Nintendo

Savers at the Bank of Nook are being driven to speculate on turnips and tarantulas, as the most popular video game of the coronavirus era mimics global central bankers by making steep cuts in interest rates.

The estimated 12m players of Nintendo’s cartoon fantasy Animal Crossing: New Horizons were informed last week about the move, in which the Bank of Nook slashed the interest paid on savings from around 0.5 per cent to just 0.05 per cent.

The total interest available on any amount of savings has now been capped at 9,999 bells — the in-game currency that can be bought online at a rate of about $1 per 1.9m bells.

The abrupt policy shift, imposed by an obligatory software update on April 23, provoked a stream of online fury that a once-solid stream of income had been reduced to a trickle with the stroke of a raccoon banker’s pen.

“I’m never going to financially recover from this,” one player wrote on a Reddit forum. “Island recession incoming,” said another. 

The shock Bank of Nook rate cut mirrors efforts by monetary authorities around the world to ease the effects of coronavirus by cutting rates and lowering longer-term borrowing costs through vast bond-buying programmes.

Total worldwide stimulus announced in recent months comes to about $14tn, according to the IMF, after adding in various government spending packages. Such activity has given a big lift to asset prices, from stocks to junk bonds. 

“We used to think this easing was all temporary but we’ve clearly crossed the Rubicon and it’s now permanent,” said Albert Edwards, a strategist at Société Générale. 

“Now that the [Bank of Nook] has cut interest rates to near zero, their next logical step is quantitative easing. It’s essential that players try to hook their game up to their printers as it might start churning out money,” he joked. 

Recommended

The latest instalment in the Animal Crossing series, which was launched by the Kyoto-based games maker in late March for use on its Switch console, has proved to be a well-timed addition to its catalogue as customers look for diversions during lockdown. The game thrusts the player on to a chirpy, violence-free ecosystem of insect collection, home improvement and resource extraction, where economic activity is often dependent upon bank lending. 

It did not take long, however, for players to spot that they could defraud the game’s bank by depositing large sums in saving accounts and then “time travelling” into the future by tweaking the console’s internal clock. The bank duly pays decades of compounded interest, making rapid bell millionaires.

People familiar with the situation said the Bank of Nook rate cut was an attempt to curb that practice. Nintendo has made no official comment on the matter.

As many users pointed out online, the much lower interest rate means that the most effective way of making money is now to gamble on the game’s internal “stalk” market — a bourse in which the only commodity is turnips, sold to investors during a single session on Sundays. The root vegetables rot and their value drops to zero after a week.

Players can also make money by catching and selling tarantulas, which fetch 8,000 bells apiece. However, the spiders are hard to find, appear only after 7pm local time and are dangerous, as a bite causes players to faint.

Users on the Nintendo Life discussion site said that in several respects, the behaviour of Nintendo, the Bank of Nook and its customers had echoed the experiences of Japan’s financial industry and its now 20 years of life under near-zero interest rates.

Savers were informed about the cut in a short message from the bank’s raccoon-like manager, Tom Nook, who apologised for “any inconvenience” and offered a compensatory gift of a floor mat shaped like a bell.

As some users went online to question the economic rationale behind the rate cut, others railed at the “brutal capitalist instincts” of the financier and his monopolistic position on the imaginary island.

One user suggested a protest against the bank in which everyone withdrew their savings and instead stashed them under the mattresses of their virtual homes. But others said the logic behind the bank’s move was sound.

“It’s a change to keep the game realistic,” Yellowbeehive said on Reddit. “With interest rates on home loans being 0 per cent it makes sense that interest rates on savings would be minimal. The Bank of Nook isn’t a charity and has multiple investments to maintain.”

8 minutes ago, spanx said:

@thesnwmn I was focusing on the simpler one first, even though the probabilities are lower. I may have to start a well-planned out, separate rose farm just so my brain doesn't explode :)

In reality I think most people will.do.okay with the simpler one. Get 10 pairs and it's a 10% chance. I am struggling to keep it all straight in my own flower farm.

I scrapped most of my rose crop and went back to the start a few days ago.

It's only blue rose and purple pansy I'm missing now. The latter not really sure why. I must have fucked up.ny hybrid reds at some point.

2 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

I've got a horror story for those of you complaining about having a lack of custom design slots. If you share a village with another player, you share the slots. 

:mellow:

I found that out the other day. I mean, what the Christ. 

10 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

@NexivRed I think this is your brick pattern which I used when redesigning my play area last night. Got it from the design thread. Works really well!

ED608AD8-4586-472E-9AF3-69E8F30C72C1.thumb.jpeg.efa66f137eb452d80bf0306a24916bd7.jpeg

IT IS!!! Omg, and you made it look great :D 

That wasn’t how it started out. It looked like this!

(Someone asked for island photos? I made some before and now comparisons from a few pictures I took.)

My main path from airport to plaza has never changed. 

F5AE133A-EBA5-47E0-917E-12153FA30693.thumb.jpeg.b32eb46169ef27b36d2fe8cabfaa5c6d.jpeg

This area was the north east of my island and the final area of my Brolly zoo before I redesigned that to be the genetics lab. 

F760C57B-B929-4F56-9799-3928D6ADCCE4.thumb.jpeg.e560a5ef60e1a62c1b7ebfc900031f70.jpeg

Better mid-build shot of the campsite. 

A34AB60C-90BC-4A2D-806F-A682AD298C8D.thumb.jpeg.f9e875c10de8bde75b355cd8c0dae611.jpeg

And this was where I pulled up a shit load of trees, picked up a shit load of weeds, and halved my prison camp to dig down for the movie scene. 

8D4BC48A-81EE-48BF-B8BD-1E49A561B485.thumb.jpeg.46b95c1657d6456a8734fc0fe432b359.jpeg

Quickie. 

I have met redd previously, opened art gallery and bought art off his boat. 

However I’ve visited the north beach today and his boat is not there? Does he only come certain days? For some reason I thought he was there all the time. 

3 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

IT IS!!! Omg, and you made it look great :D 

It just added that something extra to the area. Tried with it just grass, and wasn’t feeling it. Then tried your pattern across the whole of it, and it felt too neat. But with bits scuffed away and the side brick patterns added, it then had a nice broken, overgrown used look to it.

Honestly, top work. I’m not sure I’d have the patience to design the pattern myself. Oh, and your island is amazing.

I swear I have no luck when it comes to fishing. It's been torrential rain all day in my town and all I've managed to catch are Black Bass with the occasional squid. 

24 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

It just added that something extra to the area. Tried with it just grass, and wasn’t feeling it. Then tried your pattern across the whole of it, and it felt too neat. But with bits scuffed away and the side brick patterns added, it then had a nice broken, overgrown used look to it.

Honestly, top work. I’m not sure I’d have the patience to design the pattern myself. Oh, and your island is amazing.

You have no idea how many times I laid and re-laid it at mine lol :D sometimes I go back even now and change areas. 

Big tip - for a nice little pattern, lay the two end bits in pairs next to each other. You get a nice little gap like this. 

72DDA3D3-E21C-4BA3-9CBD-9E68F0D1AEEE.thumb.jpeg.bcdd03285189c8fd0395e9b8796ca267.jpeg

Needs four spaces so you can close it off at both ends, but it mixes things up a bit. 

Who else has heard some nice little island theme tunes at the airports? I heard a brilliant Tetris one that I can’t remember who had. 

Mine’s been the same ever since my partner set it to the national anthem of the USSR :hmm:

9 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

You have no idea how many times I laid and re-laid it at mine lol :D sometimes I go back even now and change areas. 

Big tip - for a nice little pattern, lay the two end bits in pairs next to each other. You get a nice little gap like this. 

72DDA3D3-E21C-4BA3-9CBD-9E68F0D1AEEE.thumb.jpeg.bcdd03285189c8fd0395e9b8796ca267.jpeg

Needs four spaces so you can close it off at both ends, but it mixes things up a bit. 

Nice, I’ll try that! :) 

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

In reality I think most people will.do.okay with the simpler one. Get 10 pairs and it's a 10% chance. I am struggling to keep it all straight in my own flower farm.

I scrapped most of my rose crop and went back to the start a few days ago.

It's only blue rose and purple pansy I'm missing now. The latter not really sure why. I must have fucked up.ny hybrid reds at some point.

Thats my plan, brute force it with lots of black/ yellow pairs to get the right oranges and by then I will have enough purples cloned to be able to brute force the red flower creation and final stage too.  Just need time and space to set it up

Have mentioned before that I used a lot of blue pansies to get the purples.  Must have had 40 at one point but was using old fashioned diagonal patterns at the time

1 hour ago, Rob Rule said:

I've got a horror story for those of you complaining about having a lack of custom design slots. If you share a village with another player, you share the slots.

:mellow:

Nintendo really want you to have one console each, just like apple with iPads

17 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Who else has heard some nice little island theme tunes at the airports? I heard a brilliant Tetris one that I can’t remember who had. 

Mine’s been the same ever since my partner set it to the national anthem of the USSR :hmm:

Tetris theme is me :)

38 minutes ago, Kieran said:

@NexivRed are your tiles from your genetic lab available? I have a similar set up on a mountain top and yours would look ace. 

I haven’t uploaded them, no, but they’re dead easy to copy. 

I altered the colour to a blue tinted grey because it looks colder. Then just a bit darker for the outline. 

Spoiler

4BD9F2DE-EED9-4DF8-8C60-24757D82F407.thumb.jpeg.0349639c865e3ab397e87c81af4697b9.jpeg

E511B55C-B558-4024-BAA5-544B2526603C.thumb.jpeg.5e3351dd28f1f60904fe43195cd048c8.jpeg