Animal Crossing: New Horizons

I didn’t play all weekend! First lapse since I bought the game. But then again I did play Last of Us Part 2 every waking hour possible so I don’t think it’s AC’s fault. 

Thanks, anything in particular you need?

Have opened up the island to friends, we have added some more bits to it so grateful for any comments.

Are trying to hybrid roses in the top left corner of the island so any watering will be gratefully appreciated :)

edit - will be afk mostly.

1 hour ago, Spleen said:

I've got Redd in my town, have opened the gates to friends of anyone fancies a gander. His beach is behind the museum, no ladder needed. 

We'd like to visit but I don't think you're in our friends list. Could you please add us?

Noticed one of those lily of the valley flowers this morning. Had no idea my island was 5 star. I don’t think it’s ever been 4 when I’ve checked before!

also Rolf the grumpy white tiger is in boxes if anybody wants him, but he already came from somebody else’s island here. Got lolly a cute cat from my camp site.

17 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

With that number of pairs and assuming you are getting friends to water then you shouldn't really be waiting too long, how many days has it been?

Are you getting the other expected offspring from the special hybrid reds?

How did you grow the hybrid reds? You need to have done so in a way that doesn't create self clones otherwise your crop will be poisoned with regular reds.

Did you use one of the patterns in the "Different parents, desired offspring same colour as parent" section?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1anxm3WwEKyh0_-l_lZIAUETaa_q432Px3griacQ3NcU/preview#

If you did then it should just be a case of waiting a few more days :)

Has been some occasional friend watering, but as I’m not been in any great rush is mostly just me. I know my output will be slower and lower like that, but with enough flowers down I’d hoped for at least one or two by now. 
For the planting patterns I’ve had them as alternate pairs mixed with a different species pair either side and making sure the next row over with touching diagonals is also different species. Sometimes just two or three pairs shoved in a corner where there’s space...

B2B08CF2-3D96-4225-98AF-8BFB14DF2564.thumb.jpeg.03ad54582fa0a8d823525927cc0a57ba.jpeg

23FA8804-2124-457E-B734-C5FED1ED6AC3.jpeg.06450934458e9f2c40a2aaf2d36c3e4e.jpeg

or also I have bigger plot like...

CEF37113-7BC5-474B-AE05-44BF728D8C18.jpeg.7a5a99fba8205d5c340e1fd11a15e28a.jpeg

BF08F111-5E1F-4D78-8BD8-E013E8102C50.jpeg.06e8dbe781e95d5baf8a159694cd1852.jpeg

I got the blues from pairs of seed white and now have them blues paired with seed red. 
Hard to say how long it’s been, probs a couple of weeks now since I started, with adding more red pairs each time I get any new produce off them blue/reds. Like there up on the right towards the back in that pic two of those blue/red have today sprouted up what I’m assuming and hoping is the special hybrid reds I’ve been pairing up hoping for purple out of, so I’ve taken them away and paired them up somewhere. :sherlock:

• Upvote 2

@Meatball that looks fine to me.  @thesnwmn is the main expert so hopefully he has a look too.

Can't remember exactly how long it took me to get a purple windflower once I started focusing on it but it was pretty quick, less than a week probably.  I did have a couple of big advantages though.  A stack load of blue winds that I'd already grown earlier and 5x friend watering which give you something silly like 13 new flowers each day from 15 breeding pairs

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I didn't bother shaking the trees (not a euphemism).

Is it weird that I never shake trees unless I need branches? I must've missed out on so many pieces of furniture, but meh, I have too many trees and it would take an age.

2 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Is it weird that I never shake trees unless I need branches? I must've missed out on so many pieces of furniture, but meh, I have too many trees and it would take an age.

It got part of the routine. It replaced bashing the rocks because I don't need iron or stone any more.

I'm also unfathomably bored of getting repeat items.

I’ve been slowly eliminating things from my routine as they become superfluous. Stopped shaking trees after a few days as everything I got from them was shite. I don’t bother with my fruit anymore. In fairness, that does mean that my morning routine is pretty much just checking the post, checking the shops, moving new flowers, watering the flowers, dumping today’s money tree in the endless pile of money trees, grab a recipe from the beach, check for visitors and maybe give people presents if I can be arsed. It’s over quicker but I really need to get into some bigger projects again.

I'm only shaking trees for the stamp. I didn't start doing it straight away.

I feel a bit sad I've come to the end of my infatuation with it. I've not put nearly as much time into it as the stalwarts of this thread, but aside from the seasonal events I don't think there's anything for me to do. I'm happy with my island and I don't have the patience or drive to take the flower meta seriously.

I didn't know there was a stamp. I'm going to have to reduce my non-fruit trees to the bare minimum and get shaking...

I'm anticipating not logging in quite so often, but there'll still be seasonal fish and bugs to catch. June has been a bonanza for fish, and July is pretty much the same for bugs. The chirp of cicadas remind me of every anime I've ever seen. :wub:

1 minute ago, Number 28 said:

I didn't know there was a stamp. I'm going to have to reduce my non-fruit trees to the bare minimum and get shaking...

I'm anticipating not logging in quite so often, but there'll still be seasonal fish and bugs to catch. June has been a bonanza for fish, and July is pretty much the same for bugs. The chirp of cicadas remind me of every anime I've ever seen. :wub:

You can shake on nook ticket islands too.  there is always one item to get assuming the island has trees on it

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

I'm only shaking trees for the stamp. I didn't start doing it straight away.

I feel a bit sad I've come to the end of my infatuation with it. I've not put nearly as much time into it as the stalwarts of this thread, but aside from the seasonal events I don't think there's anything for me to do. I'm happy with my island and I don't have the patience or drive to take the flower meta seriously.

I’m tiring of trading on Reddit, which has kept the game alive for me. What should be kind of like a barter economy is at the constant mercy of farmers, so the value of everything is fucked. 

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

You only need 17 non fruit trees to shake each day.

• Upvote 1

@Meatball your approach seems sound apart from one thing: if you're not using friend watering consistently you might consider just dumping all your hybrid reds into a single big shape rather than pairs. The perfect separate pairs is the best approach in some cases but in this you've got a uniform set of reds (they're all the same type of hybrid) so you don't need them so isolated.

The exact reason why is some reasonably simple probability but in short:

• With 5 waterers a pair of flowers are basically guaranteed to breed (96% chance)
  • With no waterers a pair of flowers have a 9% chance of breeding

So, increase the chance that you get breeding by putting more of them next to each other. The suggested pattern is something like the below (so basically a big grid with some spaces in it to let flowers appear:

XXXXXXX
X X X X
XXXXXXX
X X X X
XXXXXXX

When they breed and produce a red you need to take that red out and trash it.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

@Meatball your approach seems sound apart from one thing: if you're not using friend watering consistently you might consider just dumping all your hybrid reds into a single big shape rather than pairs. The perfect separate pairs is the best approach in some cases but in this you've got a uniform set of reds (they're all the same type of hybrid) so you don't need them so isolated.

The exact reason why is some reasonably simple probability but in short:

• With 5 waterers a pair of flowers are basically guaranteed to breed (96% chance)
  • With no waterers a pair of flowers have a 9% chance of breeding

So, increase the chance that you get breeding by putting more of them next to each other. The suggested pattern is something like the below (so basically a big grid with some spaces in it to let flowers appear:

XXXXXXX
X X X X
XXXXXXX
X X X X
XXXXXXX

When they breed and produce a red you need to take that red out and trash it.

Cheers! Yeah, I think you suggested that a couple weeks back to me for be lumping all the hybrid red roses together trying to get a blue from and mixing them up around every couple days in case any of them were the duds. I been doing that with those red roses I've got, but then decided to scrap that low percentage method for the longer more complicated higher percentage 'paleh' method. But I kept them ones around in case they got lucky.

I've been thinking to try the same with these Windflowers seeing as they're all same colour and type, but it was just the issue of free space to do it and was easier to slip them in to the pairs layout spots I'd already got set up. I reckon I can probably shut down the green mum breeding and some others now though, then reorganise whats left all together and make some space free to put all those red Windflowers in a grid of some type.

Sounds like hard work. I better go craft some load of shovels :(

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

I only just found out that CJ's original Japanese name is Justin. Why did they change that?!

:(

Hide contents

Justin Beaver

Like M Bison in Street Fighter! I really don’t think Mike Tyson would have sued. 

I don't know if this is common knowledge, or when they were introduced, but there are a couple of new items in Nooks shopping. Under seasonal, for summer/winter solstice.

12 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Got my weather seed pinned down with MeteoNook now. Stars predicted to the second will be great for getting resources outside of the more reliable heavy showers. Still fun to visit others for those but nice to be able to pick up a few others.

https://wuffs.org/acnh/weather

Have tried that a couple of times but each time the weather predictions were wrong so I must have been identifying the weather incorrectly when entering data.  Wish I had some more shooting stars so could do it from that but it seems to be almost non stop rain on my island at the moment :(

6 hours ago, Tetmon said:

I don't know if this is common knowledge, or when they were introduced, but there are a couple of new items in Nooks shopping. Under seasonal, for summer/winter solstice.

I check nook shopping every day as am after a full set of KK songs, those solstice items have been there for a week or more.

Have been using up some of my heart crystals and can confirm that the max number of items you can order from Cyrus in a day is 8 so don't leave it to the very end of wedding season to get stuff

Morning,

Is anyones Cranny selling Windflowers or Pansies? Need to grab quite a few.

Also have Leif on my island selling Mums and Cosmos if anyone need any, can open up the island if anyone needs any.

18 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Morning,

Is anyones Cranny selling Windflowers or Pansies? Need to grab quite a few.

Also have Leif on my island selling Mums and Cosmos if anyone need any, can open up the island if anyone needs any.

Mine has both Windflowers and Pansies so have opened up for you.  Saharah is also around

Apologies for the gloomy weather

Edit, you started flying in before I had even finished posting. Are you psychic?