rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Slightly worried this game isn't on the list of games you can buy with the 2-for-£84 game vouchers you could get from the eShop.

Anyone seen any reason given? Are they going to be? I've a voucher that expires in a few months!

1 hour ago, ann coulter said:

Isn't it just because you can't pre-order it yet? The eshop page doesn't let you buy it at all, voucher or otherwise. It would be the first Nintendo-published game to not let you use a voucher. I can't see it.

I was going to say the same.  Their OS says "As new eligible games are released or made available for pre-purchase, they will be added to the list of games available to be redeemed with a voucher."  So just keep an eye out, I'd put money on it being included.  

Maybe they're delaying so people pre-order more physical versions...

Ah, thought you could preorder it - that’d explain if so.

Just worried as they discontinued the program in the US a few months ago!

They're cheeky fuckers though. My Nintendo Online sub expired and I was unable to use my remaining voucher until I resubscribed.

1 hour ago, ann coulter said:

They're cheeky fuckers though. My Nintendo Online sub expired and I was unable to use my remaining voucher until I resubscribed.

Aye. The do at least warn you about this if you read the T&Cs, but who reads them...

Having never played a console AC, are we assuming it’s one town per Switch (not one per user account)?

Explained to my 11yo that she’ll probably be a mere visitor to my town and she didn’t love the idea. 

On 17/01/2020 at 22:43, StephenM said:

Having never played a console AC, are we assuming it’s one town per Switch (not one per user account)?

Explained to my 11yo that she’ll probably be a mere visitor to my town and she didn’t love the idea. 

I thought it said you could have four per Switch in a recent video but I don't know if that's four separate towns or up to four human characters in one town.

• Upvote 1

They said it's one town per Switch. There was some discussion about how that's possible as saved games are sandboxed from each other on the Switch, but that's what Nintendo said so...

• Upvote 1

They've made Animal Crossing saves exceptions across most installments, so it wouldn't be too surprising even if the Switch handled AC different from the norm. You couldn't duplicate your GameCube or Wii AC file and there was the save data transfer tool gubbins for the 3DS that required a digi copy on the receiving end. They sure do take virtual furniture seriously.

How daft, my son will definitely want to play this on his profile. What possible benefit is it to Nintendo to restrict to one town?

Guess I’ll buy a Switch Lite for the boy. 

Ahhhh!

• Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

They've made Animal Crossing saves exceptions across most installments, so it wouldn't be too surprising even if the Switch handled AC different from the norm. You couldn't duplicate your GameCube or Wii AC file and there was the save data transfer tool gubbins for the 3DS that required a digi copy on the receiving end. They sure do take virtual furniture seriously.

*sigh* I lost two well-developed New Leaf villages with completed houses when I transferred to subsequent brand new 3DS systems. Always regretted buying AC:NL as a download rather than physical copy, at least I’d still have my village safe while the cartridge lasts. (After the second accidental wipe I bought a cheap Nintendo Selects reissue copy, still sealed, in preparation for when the 3DS eShop is closed down...)

6 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

*sigh* I lost two well-developed New Leaf villages with completed houses when I transferred to subsequent brand new 3DS systems. Always regretted buying AC:NL as a download rather than physical copy, at least I’d still have my village safe while the cartridge lasts. (After the second accidental wipe I bought a cheap Nintendo Selects reissue copy, still sealed, in preparation for when the 3DS eShop is closed down...)

If only there was some sort of guide you could follow that let you transfer all your data rather than just some of it...

• Empathy 1

This was a discussion six months or so ago; I followed the excellent dekay guide to the letter but transfers have still sometimes gone wrong. The 3DS is famously finicky regardless, your guide just greatly reduces the risk. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

This was a discussion six months or so ago; I followed the excellent dekay guide to the letter but transfers have still sometimes gone wrong. The 3DS is famously finicky regardless, your guide just greatly reduces the risk. 

Same, sadly. Followed deKay’s (very useful) guide, but even then, it’s not fool proof due to the 3DS’s weird hardware design.

(BTW, I have to correct my earlier post – lost my original AC:NL village due to the microSD card in my first New 3DS XL – my third 3DS – getting corrupted. Second village I made, and all my 3DS games data, got wiped on the move to another New 3DS XL after my previous one had gotten quite worn out.)

11 minutes ago, Purin said:

Any news on a hardware bundle or hardware designs?

Not yet.

50 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Not yet.

They're cutting it fine. How about news of a Nintendo Direct? Sureley there has to be one soon.

If anyone sees a pre order for that lite please let me know ! Would sit nicely next to my animal crossing 3ds

• Upvote 1

I’ve held off pre-ordering just because Amazon has called it a “Standard edition” so I’m just waiting for an announcement of a Special Edition including as much tat as you can throw at me.....Exclusive AC Switch Lite? Go on then I’ll have one. AC Collectors Edition with Tom Nook toilet paper? Sure I’ll have one of them too please

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

11 minutes ago, michael said:

Isn't that just a skin though? I do like that flappy thing, mind.

Yes just realised that. Shame.

6 minutes ago, jonamok said:

How does that flappy screen cover attach, and does it leave port access?

It fits over the whole Switch, like a glove.

20 minutes ago, deKay said:

It fits over the whole Switch, like a glove.

You sure? This bit of the image for the regular Switch implies not. Though I guess it could be the cut-away angle that's obscuring the back section in the illustration.

Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 11.29.34.png