Just Cause 4 - After Rain Comes Explosions

2 hours ago, Trumpets said:

Bought this for base PS4 and my God if it isn't the ugliest game I've played this whole generation. Without hyperbole it looks like an early PS3 game.

Apparently they prioritised performance this time around, so while it’s locked at 30fps, it often drops down to 720p on the base consoles. 

I’m visiting my brother next week so will download it on his OG Xbone and revel in the 720p grainy glory. 

I’m still loving it. Far more enjoyable than JC3. The new tether gadgets are so much fun. I find myself using them more than the weapons. 

Perhaps I was a bit hasty - it's not completely hideous once you get high up and fly around in the wingsuit, and the size and verticality of the map is pretty impressive.

Turning HDR off helped as well. Developers really haven't got to grips with that properly yet.

I’m playing on my brother’s original Xbox One at the moment and I still think it looks pretty decent. Certainly the difference between it an my fancy pants One X and 4K HDR OLED probably isn’t as much as I’d like. 

Screens

Spoiler

43-A59-D62-F716-4-C70-858-D-026-E09-B027

4-CBDD58-B-CD0-C-4-D2-B-8-FAD-4-FF1884-D

926-E97-D4-FFD5-42-B8-85-FF-E6-A33845-A5

And it’s consistently hilarious. I had one side mission where I had to tether a stunt man to a helicopter. Except I used a boost tether so when I’d completed the mission and got my XP, it took off, I activated the boost and the helicopter when flying to the left at silly speed.

and I had this very serious mission where you go to meet a contact and they’re supposed to be dead, face down in a puddle of blood but she was like this instead:

1-F63-EE39-81-A2-4-CDB-8-B3-B-F3-F2-C360

The solemn dialogue played out regardless. 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been playing this sporadically since release. I loved JC2 and 3, but I just don't get this game at all and don't know if I can be bothered trying to figure out how it works. I'm wandering aimlessly around the map doing occasional missions which don't seem to alter my completion status. The menu screens seem an impenetrable mess of sub menus and trying to figure out how anything works just seems like an exercise in futility. Granted, it probably doesn't help that I've stopped and started it half a dozen times so I've completely forgot the tutorial, but the main enjoyment I've always had with these games is the immediate pick up and play nature. 

It's a shame. I really want to enjoy it, but the game seems to go out of its way to make that difficult. 

• 9 months later...

Wow, they really messed this up didn't they? I can only echo what's been said previously.

The most damning thing is that this feels like the first experimental foray into a new open world IP 15 or 20 years ago, not the refinement and iteration of a much loved franchise.

What we've got is the Numberwang of open world games. Absolutely none of it makes any sense. It's actually hilarious in so many ways. Let's take the Risk element of taking over the world just for starters. In Risk you see how many troops you have in each country so you can deploy them strategically. In this there is no indication, that I can see, the lets you know how many troops you have to distribute. There's an icon in the top right corner that tells you how many 'reserves' you have waiting but its meaningless when it is sometimes on zero and you can redistribute invisible troops from who knows where into certain territory. This could have worked if it had just been thought through better.

In fact, that sums up the game. A jumble of ideas none of which have been thought through to completion.

The icons. Jesus, the icons! At least in a Ubisoft game you know what each icon means and why you're completing it. After playing this for three days I still have no idea what the ruin/tomb stuff is all about and how it adds to any sort of completion target. I guess it doesn't.

One of the worst decisions is allowing you to destroy 'enemy' structures and get chaos points even after you've taken over the territory. This underlines the basic fucked up logic of the game. It's like Donald Trump is your leader and anything goes.

I'm sort of playing on in dumbfoundment. Weirdly, the minute to minute gameplay is still good fun but the missions (or 'Strikes', because it's cool to call them something stolen from online gaming) are starting to repeat.

When I do get a cutscene I have no idea what they are jabbering on about because it's been so long since I saw the last one.

I do wonder if Just Cause will recover after this.

On 04/12/2018 at 20:54, Down by Law said:

Just Cause 2 was a fluke.

I would take a modern update of this over just cause 5 and put the series to bed. I got JC4 for xmas last year and could only squeeze a couple of hours out if it before calling it a day. Incredible how they made a game about blowing stuff up so ugly and boring 

What a pity. I've just been playing Just Cause 3 now I've finally got a machine that holds a steady, high framerate.

The missions are pretty awful so far but the traversal and dipping in and out of challenges/liberating settlements is a really fun loop.

I was hoping to pick up 4 cheaply down the line but won't bother if it's a total mess (can't say I was enamoured with their headline weather mechanics in the build up to it's release anyway)

Wasn't it the case that the main Avalanche team made JC2 then went on to make Mad Max amongst other things, whilst a U.S team of theirs made JC3 and 4. Which would explain the dip in quality as they don't seem to have a grasp on what made 2 so great. 

Weirdly I persevered with this and ended up having a great time. If you focus on the main missions the world gradually starts to open up and it's a lot of fun. The missions are more varied than Just Cause 3 and the weapons beefier and more destructive.

I thought I might be too forgiving so I downloaded Just Cause 3 again for comparison. I'd say 3 is still a decent game but the performance issues kill it stone dead now. Progression is more logical but it does get very samey quickly. I got to 31 percent before getting fed up of the loop and the slowdown.

I'd say give Just Cause 4 a chance. Yes, it's got some issues when it comes to explaining what the hell is going on but it does settle down into a lovely loop of destruction and fun but without the terrible frame rate drops of 3.

2 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Weirdly I persevered with this and ended up having a great time. If you focus on the main missions the world gradually starts to open up and it's a lot of fun. The missions are more varied than Just Cause 3 and the weapons beefier and more destructive.

I thought I might be too forgiving so I downloaded Just Cause 3 again for comparison. I'd say 3 is still a decent game but the performance issues kill it stone dead now. Progression is more logical but it does get very samey quickly. I got to 31 percent before getting fed up of the loop and the slowdown.

I'd say give Just Cause 4 a chance. Yes, it's got some issues when it comes to explaining what the hell is going on but it does settle down into a lovely loop of destruction and fun but without the terrible frame rate drops of 3.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I had a lot more fun with 4 than I did with 3. I don't really see them as that different, except 3 runs like crap and 4 has some weather stuff.

Maybe I need to give it another go. One point though is that 3 runs like a dream on the Series X. Just a shame it never had a 4K update. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2021 at 13:40, Mawdlin said:

I've been having a play with Just Cause 4 over the last few days and it is a mixed bag. It has weirdly both managed to improve on Just Cause 3 and go backwards from Just Cause 3 in equal measures. 

I was surprised you found the missions good, so far they seem to be exactly the same as each other. Activate some switches, then protect something for a few minutes whilst a progress bar fills the screen.  

I think the graphics have taken a massive hit from JC3 or the performance is better. That being said, JC3 now plays some a dream on SX. 

It does seem to be more crazy than 3 in terms of the weapons and vehicles. As ever, I think the most fun from this game will be derived from messing about in the world and causing chaos with weapons and vehicles. Which makes it doubly sad that all the exciting weapons and vehicles are locked away behind the story and mission progression. The open world is huge but dull. There just seems no innate reason to explore, it really shows how Nintendo nailed BOTW because in that game there is always something to find on that high peak or island in the distance. 

I would have hated to pay anything near full price for this, the tenner I spent seems about right. 

As for the future of the series, if you take the good parts of 2, 3 and 4 you've got a really good game so there is some hope but that is tapered with the fact that so far each sequel seems to forget what made the previous game good and go off in a different direction. 

3 hours ago, McCoy said:

I've been having a play with Just Cause 4 over the last few days and it is a mixed bag. It has weirdly both managed to improve on Just Cause 3 and go backwards from Just Cause 3 in equal measures. 

I was surprised you found the missions good, so far they seem to be exactly the same as each other. Activate some switches, then protect something for a few minutes whilst a progress bar fills the screen.  

I think the graphics have taken a massive hit from JC3 or the performance is better. That being said, JC3 now plays some a dream on SX. 

It does seem to be more crazy than 3 in terms of the weapons and vehicles. As ever, I think the most fun from this game will be derived from messing about in the world and causing chaos with weapons and vehicles. Which makes it doubly sad that all the exciting weapons and vehicles are locked away behind the story and mission progression. The open world is huge but dull. There just seems no innate reason to explore, it really shows how Nintendo nailed BOTW because in that game there is always something to find on that high peak or island in the distance. 

I would have hated to pay anything near full price for this, the tenner I spent seems about right. 

As for the future of the series, if you take the good parts of 2, 3 and 4 you've got a really good game so there is some hope but that is tapered with the fact that so far each sequel seems to forget what made the previous game good and go off in a different direction. 

Now you mention it I probably found the missions better because the game wasn't constantly chugging in Just Cause 4 and the weapons were more fun. There was one that stood out for me which I will spoiler below but, yes, they did start to repeat a bit too much.

I completely agree about Avalanche needing to add some texture in terms of areas/hidden secrets you naturally uncover that are off the beaten track BOTW-style. There's just no incentive to explore otherwise.

Spoiler

There's a prison breakout mission I really enjoyed which involved infiltrating a base and finding the cell. The prison was huge too, a proper Bond villain underground lair that played no other part in the game. I'm not suggesting this is in anyway revolutionary but it stood out from the defend radar tower stuff.