4 hours ago, Yiggy said:

30 PC Searches

40 Mobile Browser Searches

12 Bing Searches in Edge

225 points per day there.

Actually, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. For me it's 30 PC searches, 20 Mobile searches both at 3pts each. Then a bonus 12 a day for doing it on Edge. So max 162 points. 

Do I need to do something actually on mobile? As I look maxed out. 

20 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I also only have 20 mobile searches to do. Yiggy could have to do more as a punishment for some unspecified wronging he did earlier in life.

Lol. I was just calculating based on 3 points for each search. It might be wrong but I just let the extension take care of it. 

My 20 mins thing was based on somebody literally not even knowing you could do click throughs on cast members etc and thinking you had to think of 30 different things to search which is how I started out doing it!

CBE974C5-BB10-46B7-8621-6A7F00C24DE4.jpeg

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Genuinely curious about this. Why would you not just automate it?

It’s fine. Some just don’t mind doing the manual stuff. Probably makes you feel 5% less dirty as well. Less like you’re cheating. Hats off etc. 

4 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

That’s weird. I had no idea I was special. 

I've had the double points for mobile searches a couple times too but can't remember why, seem to remember though that it lasts for 30 days.

Also one for people to keep an eye out for (might have been already mentioned, sorry of so) is that there a valentines punch card up (just below your daily set) that's a crazy quick 150 points  :).

Are you saying I'm not special now @womble9:seanr:

Any tips on actually redeeming these things now that I am building them up to the tune of maybe 15000 per month? I mean that pays for ultimate but that feels like a waste when you get still top up with the £4 per month deals. Just MS points for a game you really want every 3 months? Do they ever have promotions like double Tesco points type things? 

15 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

It’s fine. Some just don’t mind doing the manual stuff. Probably makes you feel 5% less dirty as well. Less like you’re cheating. Hats off etc. 

Fair enough, it just seems like a pointless waste of time. I don't think Microsoft could care less. Their interest is driving their Bing usage figures, rather than caring even slightly about your This Or That answers.

Next question is how anyone manages to care about not getting 5 points (<£1.70/year) for opening a silly app.

25 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Genuinely curious about this. Why would you not just automate it?

·Using a bot, cheat code, macro or other automated method to participate in Microsoft Rewards;

14 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Any tips on actually redeeming these things now that I am building them up to the tune of maybe 15000 per month? I mean that pays for ultimate but that feels like a waste when you get still top up with the £4 per month deals. Just MS points for a game you really want every 3 months? Do they ever have promotions like double Tesco points type things? 

Loads of things you can redeem against, just check out the redeem page, although the MS ones are the best value.

https://account.microsoft.com/rewards/redeem/?refd=support.microsoft.com

16 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm sure that you're all kinds of special but that's really only for your mum or other half to say :)!!

As for redeeming personally I saved mine for ages (fine by me as I agree with what others say in that they add up very quickly) towards a Series X that combined with cheap codes from CD Keys bought using topcashback worked out at costing me about £250. I'm now saving mine towards a 1TB MS Expansion card though I may hang fire when I get there as I'm hoping for a price drop (keep hoping!).

Oh and there is an auto redeem thingy you can set up where it takes enough points (5000) a month to give you a £5 MS voucher which is cheaper than the usual 5850 but personal that one doesn't interest me too much and iirr the £5 expires in 90 days so you need to keep an eye on it!

5 minutes ago, womble9 said:

As for redeeming personally I saved mine for ages (fine by me as I agree with what others say in that they add up very quickly) towards a Series X that combined with cheap codes from CD Keys bought using topcashback worked out at costing me about £250. I'm now saving mine towards a 1TB MS Expansion card though I may hang fire when I get there as I'm hoping for a price drop (keep hoping!).

How did you do this, out of interest? Did you redeem your points for a string of Microsoft gift cards and then use the whole lot against a Microsoft Store purchase? Or is there some way of redeeming points directly against purchases?

34 minutes ago, Orion said:

·Using a bot, cheat code, macro or other automated method to participate in Microsoft Rewards;

Interesting. I had not seen that before. 

I would imagine its very much a case of them only being worried when people are seriously trying to take the piss or trying to game the system for nefarious purposes. I guess anywhere there is free money you have to very clear in your policies. 

In a simple case though, somebody using an extension to do the job is not really participating in the searches or quizzes any less than somebody who is taking 5 minutes out of their day to do the stuff manually. In a sense they would be punishing you for gaming the system when their rewards system itself is gaming the system from their own perspective!

Also, do they have the power to block the extension on Edge if they wanted to? 

40 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

How did you do this, out of interest? Did you redeem your points for a string of Microsoft gift cards and then use the whole lot against a Microsoft Store purchase? Or is there some way of redeeming points directly against purchases?

I think he means he made up the difference by buying MS store credit from CDkeys (which is cheaper than just using your credit card directly with MS), and made the purchase via Topcashback, which gets you cashback on the total cost of the purchase.

3 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Pob got it pretty much spot on but for complete clarity, I bought 6 x £50 MS credit codes from CD keys which were already down to about £43 through TopCashback who also had something crazy like 12% cash back back on them meaning I got £300 of MS credit for £228. I redeemed those on the MS store (quick pointer that they don’t expire after 90 days) and then when the time came closer cashed in my points to make up enough to get my balance up to the cost of a Series X.

As much as I’m tempted (when I’ve saved enough up) to go for a 1TB expansion card I might actually carry on saving for a Series S for my office gaming setup though I suspect this fella might have something to say about it replacing my (ok, his) One X...

44F8BAA7-6AA6-4E9A-A961-93A12E173342.thumb.jpeg.4ddd421425f50cd493a4d6f95e7df804.jpeg

:)

On 11/02/2021 at 15:20, Yiggy said:

Interesting. I had not seen that before. 

I would imagine its very much a case of them only being worried when people are seriously trying to take the piss or trying to game the system for nefarious purposes. I guess anywhere there is free money you have to very clear in your policies. 

In a simple case though, somebody using an extension to do the job is not really participating in the searches or quizzes any less than somebody who is taking 5 minutes out of their day to do the stuff manually. In a sense they would be punishing you for gaming the system when their rewards system itself is gaming the system from their own perspective!

Also, do they have the power to block the extension on Edge if they wanted to? 

I'd be wary of automating it. I expect it would be fairly trivial for them to check you're maxing out your daily rewards in an unusually swift manner.

A good while back there were stories in this thread about people being banned for typing garbage into Bing searches (just mashing the keyboard then searching). You could argue that junk searches do screw up their metrics, whereas just cheating the quizzes maybe not so much. Either way, worth being aware they have banned people for similar in the past, so yeah. Beware!

It just means you earn less, I switched to Bing from Google years ago. No compulsion to min/max it. In fact, I had $100 off the XSX before I started the gaming rewards stuff through the app. 

I wrote a python script that kicks off automatically every morning on my Raspberry Pi, picks a song title or artist from my MP3 collection (1000s of files) and searches for it, then repeats every [random number] minutes until my points are done. They'll never catch me! Wa-hah-hah!

I do the classic that most people in this thread have suggested. Search for the cast of a film, then right click, open in new tab on each cast member. Takes less than 30 seconds. Do pretty much the same on mobile (not the right click obviously!).

Since someone said they search for ‘terminator 2 cast’, every time I try to think of a fresh film to search for all I can think of is Terminator 2.