Microsoft Rewards

stefcha

It wasn't working for me earlier either but thought I'd have a quick go before bed and it's working, same for a mate of mine I txt about it too :)

Oh and if anyone is after a super easy / quick way to get the 500 points on the new Bethesda punch card then Prey offers a well fast achievement.

Start the game, leave your apartment, go down the corridor and take the lift up to the rooftop. Hop up on the nose of the helicopter and then jump into the blades and bingo. Head pops, achievement pops, 500 easy points get! 

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

I've just realised it's not working in browser either, no daily tasks or searches. It must be properly down.

Really? I was able to do that fine late afternoon, well after the issue with the rewards app,

On 22/05/2021 at 23:52, womble9 said:

It wasn't working for me earlier either but thought I'd have a quick go before bed and it's working, same for a mate of mine I txt about it too :)

Oh and if anyone is after a super easy / quick way to get the 500 points on the new Bethesda punch card then Prey offers a well fast achievement.

Start the game, leave your apartment, go down the corridor and take the lift up to the rooftop. Hop up on the nose of the helicopter and then jump into the blades and bingo. Head pops, achievement pops, 500 easy points get! 

I've just done this and the 500 points has taken me over 100,000 points. Need about 17,000 more to hit my £100 target. 

On 22/05/2021 at 23:52, womble9 said:

If you don't do this right at the start, I'm now about 5 hours in, is there any way to go back and get that achievement - or do I just need to start a new game in a new slot?

8 minutes ago, rgraves said:

If you don't do this right at the start, I'm now about 5 hours in, is there any way to go back and get that achievement - or do I just need to start a new game in a new slot?

I can't say I know for sure but your logic sounds good to me :)

12 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I started a new slot, grabbed the suit, took the lift and decapitated myself. Took under 5 mins.

15 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Okey dokey - ta.

Just out of interest, how on earth are you ever supposed to know to do that in 'normal' play?

I don't understand this question. Loads of achievements are deliberately obscure 

I'd also note that it was the first thing I did on my second playthrough — not knowing there was a trophy for it — because why wouldn't you try it when you understand what's going on?

I've signed up to the monthly £5 gift card goal...thing. Can you earn the requisite number of points each month just by playing naturally, do we reckon, or do you have to do all the additional shite as well, like playing crap games for easy achievements and Bing searches, etc.?

And am I right in thinking that your gift card balance expires after a while anyway?

I don't think you'd come close to over 5,000 points per month just by playing games naturally and nothing else.

And yeah, the gift card balances expire after 90 days I think.

48 minutes ago, xtremeboat said:

I don't understand this question. Loads of achievements are deliberately obscure 

It's not a trick question - I was just wondering if there was anything, even a tiny hint, that this was an action you should consider at that point. Unlike Wiper I never would have done that in a million years. It's also not much of an actual achievement is it. Just seems an odd one all round, so I was wondering if there was a hint, a clue, a back-story from previous titles even that tied to it. It's not even cryptically listed in the achievements list either is it, it's a secret achievement there as well - I get obscure ones if they are listed with a clue...

I guess what I mean is - I'm too old for this kind of 'just randomly try any old shit' stuff - my gaming time is too precious to be trying out an almost infinite combination of things in games hoping to try and ping a win.

13 minutes ago, rgraves said:

It's not a trick question - I was just wondering if there was anything, even a tiny hint, that this was an action you should consider at that point.

There's a couple of things that make it an 'appropriate' rather than purely random achievement, which basically come down to (spoilers for the opening of Prey):

Spoiler

1) you, as the player, will definitely know by the second playthrough that the opening is a simulation, so may want to try and, er, "hard reset" it.

2) the game is heavily oriented towards logical, physical solutions to problems - you're encouraged to look for alternate routes, think vertically, climb on objects, and also expect physics to, well, work properly. So knowing that you're in a simulation, and seeing a helicopter with some natty whirling blades on it...

Basically, it's a game which encourages sequence breaking - why wouldn't it reward people who take that creativity into the tutorial section of the game?

52 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've signed up to the monthly £5 gift card goal...thing. Can you earn the requisite number of points each month just by playing naturally, do we reckon, or do you have to do all the additional shite as well, like playing crap games for easy achievements and Bing searches, etc.?

The "additional shite" is where the real rewards are, bar the occasional 10k achievement card. You can get around 250 points per day for about 3 minutes of effort, which is more than enough to get £5 per month to put towards something you fancy.

And as Majora says, the gift cards expire, so if you're saving for something large you'll want to keep things in point form until you're ready.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

And am I right in thinking that your gift card balance expires after a while anyway?

There's a chrome extension called ABS which does all the daily quizzes and bing searches for you.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/abs/ipbgaooglppjombmbgebgmaehjkfabme

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

Weirdly, the two game related weekly quests are both just "start the game" this week. 

Last week, neither of them were. I think they just messed up their quest scheduling a bit as usually it's one of each.

I missed one of the easy weekly 'get any achievement in Game Pass' tasks this month so I was sweating that I'd be left with something like 'Be on the top squad in Battlefield 1' or something to get the monthly 1,000-pointer.

Played through Sea of Solitude on EA Play the last few, seemed pretty straightforward to get a decent amount of points.

What I wasn’t prepared for was how emotionally resonating it was, such an emotion inducing game.  

Really glad I chose to play through it as an ‘easy achievement’ title, wouldn’t have evening given it a second glance otherwise. 

Really, really good experience.

1 minute ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Played through Sea of Solitude on EA Play the last few, seemed pretty straightforward to get a decent amount of points.

What I wasn’t prepared for was how emotionally resonating it was, such an emotion inducing game.  

Really glad I chose to play through it as an ‘easy achievement’ title, wouldn’t have evening given it a second glance otherwise. 

I was the same. Wouldnt have bothered with it if it wasnt on gamepass. really enjoyed it and it was genuinely heartbreaking at times. 

3 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Sounds good, that's going on the bank holiday weekend list!

On 26/05/2021 at 10:29, ScouserInExile said:

Weirdly, the two game related weekly quests are both just "start the game" this week. 

Anyone else start Dead Space intending to just bag the Points and get completely sucked in? Somehow missed this on the 360. It's great!

1 hour ago, xtremeboat said:

Anyone else start Dead Space intending to just bag the Points and get completely sucked in? Somehow missed this on the 360. It's great!

Nah, I was still on the splash screen when the notification popped up. Quit before it even ran. 

The first two Dead Space games are classics from that short lived era where EA gave their teams the time and money to make great games. I suppose they still let Respawn do that, so far. 

I'd love a remaster with the care they gave the Mass Effect and Command and Conquer remasters.