Rocketman - Taron Egerton as Elton John

On 02/05/2021 at 19:25, sir stiff_one said:

How can you not be an Elton John fan?

nice write up, gonna catch this soon

As someone said on a Chart Music podcast recently, when he was young Elton John felt like music for your parents. And now he still does.

30 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Sounds like the podcaster is a terminal wanker.

I absolutely understand it, as I pretty much share it. The only time I sat down to listen to John, the first track I heard was Jamaica Jerk-Off and I said "fuck this".

In fairness they also made a point about the way he sings with an American twang and I actually think that that's what put me off him for all those years. That and the fact that he seems to be permanently grumpy.

PS: Film is excellent.

I am no Elton John fan but Benny and the Jets is a fucking tune, there’s a reason why it’s been sampled by A Tribe Called Quest, Frank Ocean and others, in the world of hip-hop and R&B.

I can't stop thinking about this film. I think it might be the first musical I've watched all the way through, ever. Maybe I really like musicals? Maybe they're all as good as this. Tempted to give Mamma Mia a shot; I'm not really an Abba fan either, but Rocketman has proved beyond doubt that I have no fucking clue what I like or don't like.

Nah, me and the missus hate musicals, but we've watched this twice, now, voluntarily. It just works so well.

I grew up in the 70s; the guy's music was everywhere.

10 minutes ago, K said:

I can't stop thinking about this film. I think it might be the first musical I've watched all the way through, ever. Maybe I really like musicals? Maybe they're all as good as this. Tempted to give Mamma Mia a shot; I'm not really an Abba fan either, but Rocketman has proved beyond doubt that I have no fucking clue what I like or don't like.

This is a just really well made film. I think you're in for a big disappointment if you watch Mamma Mia expecting it come anywhere close to matching this.

I didn't like Mamma Mia, I adore Mamma Mia 2.

Also, if you enjoyed Taron Egerton singing I'm Still Standing:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, hub2 said:

I didn't like Mamma Mia, I adore Mamma Mia 2.

Mamma Mia 2 is that rare beast, a sequel that’s better than the first. I absolutely love it.

4 hours ago, K said:

Mamma Mia is fucking awful, with some performances that rival Oliver Reed in Tommy for tone deaf singing. 

I’d recommend:

Hairspray

Sing

Sing Street

Once

Calamity Jane

The Greatest Showman

Blues Brothers

4 hours ago, K said:

Honestly, Hedwig and the angry inch.

5 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

Mamma Mia is fucking awful, with some performances that rival Oliver Reed in Tommy for tone deaf singing. 

I’d recommend:

Hairspray

Sing

Sing Street

Once

Calamity Jane

The Greatest Showman

Blues Brothers

West Side Story, although prepare for ballet and opera style singing from one character. The "Cool" section is one-take too.

Also, not Once. Don't give any money to Hansard - no one can say why because they've all been silenced - love the old 'they met when she was 13 and then started dating when she was 18' stuff though.

During filming, he and Irglová began dating and are still a couple. Said Hansard about his relationship with Irglova: "I had been falling in love with her for a long time, but I kept telling myself she's just a kid"

3 hours ago, Festoon said:

Also, not Once. Don't give any money to Hansard - no one can say why because they've all been silenced - love the old 'they met when she was 13 and then started dating when she was 18' stuff though.

During filming, he and Irglová began dating and are still a couple. Said Hansard about his relationship with Irglova: "I had been falling in love with her for a long time, but I kept telling myself she's just a kid"

Ah, the Woody Allen defence. It sounds like she was groomed.

At the Hungry Cat, a fish restaurant, the two discussed how they met in Ms. Irglova’s hometown. In 2001, her father helped book the Frames for a local music festival, and her parents were hosts for a preconcert party. At the concert, as a thank you for the party, Mr. Hansard pulled Ms. Irglova, 13, onto the stage to sing.

“I was super embarrassed, but not because I had a rock-star crush,” said Ms. Irglova, who was studying guitar and classical piano at the time. “It was because he was Irish and exotic, and I had to speak English.”

That early collaboration led Mr. Hansard and Ms. Irglova to work together on an album, “The Swell Season,” and “Once,” the story of a partnership between struggling musicians that teeters on the border of romance. While promoting that film, Ms. Irglova and Mr. Hansard fell in love.

“She’s smarter than me,” Mr. Hansard said, not without pride.

Without a moment’s pause, Ms. Irglova said, “That’s true.”

“Songwriters have trouble growing up,” he explained.

I've known a couple of people who could be carbon copies of this guy- "heartfelt" or "authentic" singer songwriter who turns into a massive creep when they're alone with women.

7 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Ah, the Woody Allen defence. It sounds like she was groomed.

I've known a couple of people who could be carbon copies of this guy- "heartfelt" or "authentic" singer songwriter who turns into a massive creep when they're alone with women.

Falling slowly, indeed.

Apparently it's a very common thing with him.

10 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

I’d recommend:

Hairspray

Sing

Sing Street

Once

Calamity Jane

The Greatest Showman

Blues Brothers

Now that I think about it, I’ve seen Once, Sing Street and the Blues Brothers, but I didn’t think of them as musicals for some reason. But thanks - some good recommendations here. I’ll check out Greatest Showman, & Hedwig for starters. 

Also check out Les Parapluies des Cherbourg - it’s not just the greatest musical of them all, it’s probably just the greatest movie full stop.

Grease is another great musical I refuse to believe everyone doesn't like. It's quite unsavoury and rough around the edges but like in a good way, and mainly it's just a lot of fun. You're so used to seeing it parodied and hearing it at DJ Dave's mobile disco you forget every single frame is completely iconic. Travolta is absolute box-office too.

While we're on the topic, Bohemian Rhapsody on the other hand is crap. It does that thing I hate where they reimagine what must be quite long and complicated moments in history and package them up in such a way that makes everyone look amazing. That scene where they write We Will Rock You made me want to pull my own eyes out for instance. It's a tricky line to tread admittedly, but there's flights of complete fantasy in Rocketman, but they're abstracted and amped up to a point it doesn't matter anymore. Musical bio-pics are so difficult to actually get right. 

10 hours ago, Distinct muttering said:

Honestly, Hedwig and the angry inch.

I'm not usually a musicals person but I've always loved this. Midnight Radio is great:

I would add

God Help The Girl

Hair

Cabaret 

Fiddler On The Roof

Dancer In The Dark

And of course, Rocky Horror Picture Show, but I'm assuming everyone's seen that.

5 hours ago, ZOK said:

Also check out Les Parapluies des Cherbourg - it’s not just the greatest musical of them all, it’s probably just the greatest movie full stop.

This is entirely correct. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is in another class of musical, and still feels novel even today. Plus, Je ne pourrai jamais vivre sans toi is one of the great chansons.

I took my gf to see Rocketman at a special viewing at the Tyneside Cinema, with a quiz beforehand and a special post-film party thing. It certainly brought some colourful characters out, and I thought the event might be fun even though my gf can't stand Elton John (I've never liked his music either). Unfortunately it turns out she hates Elton John quizzes, people dressed up as Elton John, and people dressed up as Elton John doing Elton John karaoke too. And it turns out she especially hates very sugary complimentary Elton John cocktails that have swizzle sticks in them with pictures of Elton John's head attached to the love-heart tops. So that didn't work out so well.

What did work out well - for me at least - was the film itself. For a biopic it's a proper good film, largely because it mostly eschews trying to be real, man, and goes full-blown fantasy. That it's a really enjoyable film even for someone who doesn't like Mr John's music makes it a great music biopic.

It's nowhere near the best musical ever though - see above. Also, as great musical biopics go, I'd recommend, as I always do, a couple of other French ones - La Vie En Rose and Gainsbourg (Vie héroïque). The latter does fantasy/musical even (far) better than Rocketman imo. Even if you find Gainsbourg himself objectionable. It's just, again, a very strong film in its own right. And as a straight music biopic I'm going to have to fall back on Control and Walk The Line again, the former in particular for some amazingly, uncannily convincing musical/dramatic performances.

19 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Unfortunately it turns out she hates Elton John quizzes, people dressed up as Elton John, and people dressed up as Elton John doing Elton John karaoke too. And it turns out she especially hates very sugary complimentary Elton John cocktails that have swizzle sticks in them with pictures of Elton John's head attached to the love-heart tops. So that didn't work out so well.

This made me laugh a lot! That sounds like the perfect evening in anyone’s book, so she was clearly pretending.

I wish more bio-pics would take wild dramatic license with the material. It seems like a no-brainer when the artists have spent their whole professional careers creating a larger than life public image to just role with it and make something big and fantastical. Prince did it a couple of times with Purple Rain and Sign o' the Times – admittedly the second is a live show, but kind of strung together with vague narrative. I remember watching Get on Up the James Brown one and thinking it was a missed opportunity. They skirted the line between fact and fiction so it was just a plod through his career. It's totally up for debate as to what is true or not, when really they could have just avoided those pitfalls altogether. The best bit in it was this sort of dream sequence as it was genuinely surprising and powerful. 

You cannot beat Purple Rain though as a rock flick - even Prince couldn’t get within a country mile of it again, which indicates strongly why most attempts are pretty pointless.

I love biopics and fake biopics too (eg The Wonders) but they aren’t musicals.

@PeteBrant started a good thread on musicals a while back to try to bring some culture into this digitally ravaged wasteland, which contains some excellent suggestions @K - you (like any human) should endeavour to see at least 90% of the flicks listed here:

If you watch Singin’ in the Rain and West Side Story they’ll account for 50% of the suggestions mind you, so it’s hardly onerous, especially as both those films are incredible.