Google Stadia - “being buried in a deep hole next to Google Circles and the rest”

footle

• 2 weeks later...

And no one was surprised.

Except Google of course because they are utterly utterly inept in so many ways. A perfect proof of how too much success can make you overly confident. At what point does their number of failures make then stop and wonder if they're not as smart as they think they are.

Trying to refund as much as possible is better than expected of them I think. Although many will still be out a bit but they will have used it for a while too.

A full refund is pretty impressive. I will basically have played through Cyberpunk for free. No great surprise that Stadia is dead, but hopefully they can white-label the technology for other people as the actual experience of playing was pretty flawless.

Did Google ever offer the tech to publishers? As mentioned, the technology was solid, but it was never going to work out when you're charging money for a cloud-only game on top of a sub. Would have been much better off as a services middleman than a storefront.

It’s such a strange business. If you close it down, you piss off a lot of people who have no way to access games they’ve paid up to £50 each for, so they don’t really have any choice but to refund everything.

As a piece of tech, Stadia was incredible, but streaming is best bolted on to some other way to play the games, and a bonus of sorts. Exactly like XCloud and PS Plus.

Should have £60/70 on its way to me which is pretty nice.

With a January 2023 shutdown, this count down is only out by 2 months, I think.

I post this not to be a dick but in annoyance at Google, which I summed up recently in the Android thread (edit - it might have been about Google Fi, their mobile phone service I joined recently). Points for avoiding the PR disaster by refunding folks, others have probably done it but I only recall Microsoft refunding all e-book purchases as something on a similar scale.

I subscribed to Pro from the start and found it great - it was perfect for a game like Destiny that has regular updates and played online anyway. 

Through the Cyberpunk offer and some YouTube Premium giveaways I had 4 pads and 3 TVs set up with it for me and the kids... 

I'm not in any way surprised that it's shutting though and happy that I'll be getting refunded (by my reckoning Google are buying me a PS5!) A lot of the games I played most are available through Gamepass.

As someone else said though, I do hope they update the controller firmware to let it work elsewhere easily - it's a great pad so unlocking Bluetooth to make it work with my Mac wirelessly would be great.

1 minute ago, Popo said:

A massive order of humble pie for everyone at Google. 

They will not notice their pie. They haven't after any of their constant u-turns and failed projects to enter new markets.

They will continue to be stupid. Google is going to end up with two means. To Google something might mean to search for it or to start with great enthusiasm and then fail to ever really evolve or improve it before you give up on it.

£230 refund heading my way. I’d forgotten just how much those founder’s edition kits were! - £119 for a controller and a Chromecast Ultra.

Mixed feelings really. It works really really well, but I’ve barely touched it since getting a PS5. Month after month of pro games I just didn’t care about. 

When you look at the amount of games that have been released on Stadia so far this year I suppose it was inevitable. I posted some twitter post earlier this year saying that on March 1st 135 out of the 252 (53.5%)games on Stadia at that point had been included as part of Pro at one stage or another. From October 1st it was due to be 175 out of 302 (58%) so the overall percentage of games being part of Pro was steadily rising as the release schedule slowed down. If any new release looked remotely "indie" then there was next to no reason to buy it as the chances were it was going to end up being part of Pro soon enough.