Google Stadia - “being buried in a deep hole next to Google Circles and the rest”

footle

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

He strikes yet again :lol:

Outside of the Tory Party I don’t think I’ve witnessed anyone fail upwards quite as spectacularly. 

I thought Phil Harrison was one of the favourite people for fans of the Xbox? Wasn’t that long ago I was reading about how great he was, I didn’t even realize he had moved to Google. What did he do wrong at his previous job then?

edit - holy shit he left Microsoft 7 years ago lol

Something very wrong with my perception of time

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

I thought Phil Harrison was one of the favourite people for fans of the Xbox? Wasn’t that long ago I was reading about how great he was, I didn’t even realize he had moved to Google. What did he do wrong at his previous job then?

edit - holy shit he left Microsoft 7 years ago lol

Something very wrong with my perception of time

You're a bit mixed up. He was at Sony for the PS3, which of course was a disappointment in the US compared to ps2. Then was one of the main guys behind the clusterfuck that was the early years of the Xbox one that nearly killed the division.

Are you getting mixed up with Phil *Spencer*? 

In news that will surely shock everyone, game developers for Stadia were thrown completely under the bus, with no advance notice that maybe they should stop working on games for it: 

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

In news that will surely shock everyone, game developers for Stadia were thrown completely under the bus, with no advance notice that maybe they should stop working on games for it: 

This is the corporate equivalent of shooting someone on 5th Ave and not losing any votes. They don't give a fuck and, honestly, they don't need to.

4 hours ago, deerokus said:

You're a bit mixed up. He was at Sony for the PS3, which of course was a disappointment in the US compared to ps2. Then was one of the main guys behind the clusterfuck that was the early years of the Xbox one that nearly killed the division.

Are you getting mixed up with Phil *Spencer*? 

And before Xbox he went to Atari where he was president for a short while, which then went on to file for bankruptcy. 

I mean to be fair he was at Sony for quite a while so the problems with PS3 can’t be laid solely at his feet, although he was in charge of global strategy from 2005-2008, the point at which he resigned.

I don’t think he’s ever been liked though, he always came across as arrogant and a bit of snake oil salesman. 

3 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Google are a bit stuck in a cycle now, they release something, everyone assumes they'll kill it after X years, no one buys it, they have to kill it. How do they get out of that?

Release something that people actually want. 

6 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Google are a bit stuck in a cycle now, they release something, everyone assumes they'll kill it after X years, no one buys it, they have to kill it. How do they get out of that?

I don't think they will. I don't think they're concerned with the consequences of the release/cancel cycle because most of the time they're so far up their own collective arses it doesn't occur to them that there could possibly be erosion of confidence in them and their products. 

I wouldn't buy any new hardware from them at all anymore. 

4 hours ago, Noonanman said:

From that point of view, I'm glad they killed it. It was just a horrible experience for me, and in extension for other players with similarly hobbled Internet.

So you’re glad they killed an internet streaming service that was shit for people with shit internet, that was brilliant for people with working internet?

18 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

And it has knock on effects - would I choose to build a cloud native application on GCP?

Or would I choose AWS or Azure where it’s less likely that a part of the platform as a service I rely on gets killed just because?

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Release something that people actually want. 

I wanted it, and so did thousands of others. I rank Stadia as one of the best developments anyone has made in my entire forty year history of gaming.

I am gutted to need to buy a console to replace it, to sit in my front room like a useless lump. It will be like stepping back into the past.

8 hours ago, ZOK said:

Thank Christ I finally decided to finish Cyberpunk 2077!

I just activated the free month Ubisoft trial…I wonder if that means I can keep it until Jan and get refunded?

I wonder if Ubisoft+ will continue to use the technology as a white label product, that seemed to be where they were going.

Capcom used it too for their Resident Evil demo - being able to jump into a game straight from a YouTube ad always seemed like a killer feature, that it took them 2+ years to finally implement.

I can't help but feel that without Phil at the helm they'd have had more of a chance, as the tech was brilliant. Xcloud is decent enough, but Stadia was always absolutely flawless for me.

I'm hoping I can transfer my 100hrs+ Hitman save across to the Xbox, but not sure I can shift my Doom Eternal save? That was the game that made me pre-order the Founders edition in the first place, and I was always in awe at how well it ran.

28 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I wanted it, and so did thousands of others. I rank Stadia as one of the best developments anyone has made in my entire forty year history of gaming.

I am gutted to need to buy a console to replace it, to sit in my front room like a useless lump. It will be like stepping back into the past.

Don’t worry streaming ain’t going anywhere. 

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Don’t worry streaming ain’t going anywhere. 

Yes but Stadia is, and it’s the best one. If anyone can point to an equivalent, I’m all ears.

15 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Yes but Stadia is, and it’s the best one. If anyone can point to an equivalent, I’m all ears.

Come now Mr Zok, I think we both know what that service is. :)

XCG is much better now than when it was in beta, definitely an equivalent experience to the excellent one Stadia provided, I would say, and it can be played without an Xbox, so you don’t necessarily need to buy a Series console. If you’ve got an Xbox One then think of that as the equivalent of the Chromecast. 

17 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I don't know if it's as good but you could try Microsoft's xcloud - how much of their library is cloud enabled, I don't know but it seems like a lot of the games I play offer it and I assume the plan is that everything ends up there. You can, I believe,  use your Stadia controller too.

Just now, Popo said:

Come now Mr Zok, I think we both know what that service is. :)

XCG is much better now than when it was in beta, definitely an equivalent experience to the excellent one Stadia provided, I would say, and it can be played without an Xbox, so you don’t necessarily need to buy a Series console. If you’ve got an Xbox One then think of that as the equivalent of the Chromecast. 

If you have to buy an Xbox, how is that even remotely an equivalent?

I don’t consider a Chromecast to be hardware, it’s an invisible thing - something the size of a jamjar lid that is plugged in behind the telly. And I’ve got an LG CX, so I can play Stadia just as well via the app, you don’t even need the Chromecast.

3 minutes ago, Transient Curse said:

I don't know if it's as good but you could try Microsoft's xcloud - how much of their library is cloud enabled, I don't know but it seems like a lot of the games I play offer it and I assume the plan is that everything ends up there. You can, I believe,  use your Stadia controller too.

The main problem is no-one here who has used both thinks XCloud is as good. And how do I do this without hardware?

I can see I’m going to end up buying a Series X, which feels like going back to caveman days for me.

31 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I don’t use it enough to feel that qualified to say, but Xcloud is excellent these days, I was playing Halo Infinite and it was honestly near imperceptible the difference. PlayStation service good too, was playing AC Valhalla last night on that and thought it was fine.