Google Stadia - “being buried in a deep hole next to Google Circles and the rest”

footle

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I don’t use it enough to feel that qualified to say, but Xcloud is excellent these days, I was playing Halo Infinite and it was honestly near imperceptible the difference. PlayStation service good too, was playing AC Valhalla last night on that and thought it was fine. 

That’s fine - but how do I play it on the tv? If I’m buying an Xbox to do so it’s entirely redundant anyway.

1 hour ago, denisb said:

So we are being refunded for buying a console at launch and any games and subs purchased since then ?

Or have I misread the email?

Almost - refunds are for the hardware and games, but not your monthly sub. 

I think Geforce Now has an LG app but there's a little more fannying about getting it all setup compared to Stadia. Their 3080 tier is meant to be the best cloud gaming experience out there performance wise but it's €19.99 per month. 

The other cloud gaming services (PSN, XBox, Nvidia) need to up their Smart TV game. The services all work great on PCs and mobiles* but who wants to sit and play a console game on a PC or a mobile?

NVidia works well if you have one of their boxes (so basically you need a console sitting under your TV and taking up an HDMI slot). PSN doesn't have a Smart TV app at all, I don't think? 

*Not sure about PSN - perhaps this only works on a PS console?

56 minutes ago, ZOK said:

That’s fine - but how do I play it on the tv? If I’m buying an Xbox to do so it’s entirely redundant anyway.

Don’t think we’re quite there yet. I think MS has gone about it the right way though by making it an adjacent service whilst they build the infrastructure up and keep on improving the service. It’s still in beta although it’s way better now than when it started, I would strongly suggest getting an Xbox though, best of both worlds. 

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Don’t think we’re quite there yet. I think MS has gone about it the right way though by making it an adjacent service whilst they build the infrastructure up and keep on improving the service. It’s still in beta although it’s way better now than when it started, I would strongly suggest getting an Xbox though, best of both worlds. 

XBox is the only current gen gaming device I don't own and I just can't justify buying one, even though I have a Gamepass Ultimate sub (which I mainly use for PC games). If they made it work better on Smart TVs I would get a lot more value out of it by playing the Xbox games there (and possibly wouldn't renew my top-tier PSN sub when it runs out next year). 

I have top-tier subs for Sony, MS and Nintendo online gaming services now - I am probably spending more per month on gaming now, than I ever have in the past. And spending less actual time playing ...

Not surprised but it works really well with chromecast or my old pc. I picked up the starter kit late last year when they were doing it for £10 never continued pro past the trial and only purchased a few games on sale so only expecting £40-50 back.

It needed exclusive games and a better subscription model.

Hopefully the controller will get wireless update for PC

1 hour ago, bear said:

I think Geforce Now has an LG app but there's a little more fannying about getting it all setup compared to Stadia. Their 3080 tier is meant to be the best cloud gaming experience out there performance wise but it's €19.99 per month. 

I might give that a look for that Stranding game then…but I did look before and I couldn’t work out what I needed to do from memory.

31 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think that’s my most likely option…I’ll need something that plays Cyberpunk 2077 but if I’m considering shelling out £20 a month for the GeForce I may as well buy a console.

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

So you’re glad they killed an internet streaming service that was shit for people with shit internet, that was brilliant for people with working internet?

Purely from a development point of view. Having a service that only offers a singular, exclusive solution is a trend I'd never want to take off. I am, however, all for cloud gaming being an arm of a business (like Xbox/Xcloud, for example).

As a player? I felt a similar way about OnLive before it (and I actually had relatively decent Internet for that). While it offered a substandard experience in my eyes, I think there's an argument to be had for it existing for very specific circumstances, it's just not great when it's the only option in a service.

1 minute ago, Noonanman said:

Purely from a development point of view. Having a service that only offers a singular, exclusive solution is a trend I'd never want to take off. I am, however, all for cloud gaming being an arm of a business (like Xbox/Xcloud, for example).

As a player? I felt a similar way about OnLive before it (and I actually had relatively decent Internet for that). While it offered a substandard experience in my eyes, I think there's an argument to be had for it existing for very specific circumstances, it's just not great when it's the only option in a service.

Why would it ever be the only option? That will only happen when the infrastructure it requires is omnipresent. And soon may that come.

If your internet isn’t up to using an internet streaming service, of course it’s going to be a substandard experience. But that’s like saying a game looks drab because you are playing it on a black and white telly. Your experiences of OnLive are barely even relevant here. 

Just go with a different service if your internet isn't fast enough, surely? That's like saying Netflix should bring back their Blu-Ray postal service because you're not happy with the quality of their 4K streaming service.

11 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Why would it ever be the only option? That will only happen when the infrastructure it requires is omnipresent. And soon may that come.

If your internet isn’t up to using an internet streaming service, of course it’s going to be a substandard experience. But that’s like saying a game looks drab because you are playing it on a black and white telly. Your experiences of OnLive are barely even relevant here. 

Oh, I think you missed my point; it is the only option if you're building an exclusive for the platform (which I was at the time). It made development an actual nightmare.

For what it's worth, I've since tried it with fibre broadband and I still feel that it provides a substandard experience; though a better experience than no experience 😅

Regardless, it's a wild and impressive curiosity that I can see continuing as an additional arm of other businesses.

Well, I question that. I’ve been using it on a 4K Oled since 2020 on standard 40mb upload BT internet over wifi, and it’s flawless in my view.

I don’t doubt my standards are lower, however!

4 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Well, I question that. I’ve been using it on a 4K Oled since 2020 on standard 40mb upload BT internet over wifi, and it’s flawless in my view.

I don’t doubt my standards are lower, however!

Less about lower, but where your pain points are. Just so happens that I find the shortcomings of cloud gaming to be the most annoying.

I had a look and I think I’ll get about £115 quid back from Google, so that’s decent at least.

Another question is how I port my C2077 save over to something else…I think you can do it somehow through GOG but I don’t really understand it.

The writing was on cards the moment Jade Raymond left, well over a year ago now. She was in charge of Stadia’s development studios and creating exclusive content. So when that happened and they began winding down in-house development it was only a matter of time. 

Feel sorry for developers and the way in which this was announced, but also if you had other options I would have thought anything else was the better choice. 

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Feel sorry for developers and the way in which this was announced, but also if you had other options I would have thought anything else was the better choice. 

I've been surprised that developers have still been jumping to the service since the initial gold rush and "free meals" stopped. Perhaps the amount of work up front is relatively light compared to the potential of additional income? I can't remember what percentages were like, but I believe there were cuts from subscriber fees based on playtime, etc. If you're making a very specific type of game, that could have been worth it...

53 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Another developer speaks.

That all sounds terrible, but when you get to the end and find the game was called ‘Jump Challenge!’, it’s hard to care.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

The latest patch for Cyberpunk did include something about a cloud save, I'm sure I read.

Yes I think I saw that too…what it means in practice I will have to find out.