Google Stadia - “being buried in a deep hole next to Google Circles and the rest”

footle

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

That all sounds terrible, but when you get to the end and find the game was called ‘Jump Challenge!’, it’s hard to care.

But THEN you find out it's a rythm action game based on the Kris Kross classic* and it doesn't sound so wiggida-wiggida-wiggida wack, right?

*May or may not be true

16 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Apparently cloud saves didn't include cloud based Stadia, there is a workaround, though it looks fiddly and requires the PC version. 

Cheers, that looks useful. I think it’s most likely I’ll be switching to XBox though, will that same process still work? They only seem to mention PC and PS5.

3 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Those Jump Challenge guys laying it a bit thick! Stadia is just Linux, right? Stick it on Steam FFS, deck verified.

Dude, that's so harsh. Imagine spending 4 to 5 months of your companies time launching a title, learning the APIs etc. And then they did this to you. I would be far more emotional than they were! 

It's not like they just have change a line of code to read 'output: Steamdeck'

7 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Xcloud is getting a streaming stick, if you don't want an Xbox or PC, or don't have a recent TV for which they've made an app. It was slipped into discussion in one of the threads without much fanfare a while back.

I’ve been reading about that today…it seems a fairly long way off and unlikely to be 4K, so I don’t think it would be for me.

34 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Dude, that's so harsh. Imagine spending 4 to 5 months of your companies time launching a title, learning the APIs etc. And then they did this to you. I would be far more emotional than they were! 

It's not like they just have change a line of code to read 'output: Steamdeck'

As I understand it the server part of Stadia is just a Linux box. It's hard to imagine there are that many APIs to learn specific to Stadia, though of course I imagine it's a big leap from Windows. Fair enough, bit harsh how I put it, but I would think it's not 100% wasted work.

Of course this was Stadia's big problem, billed as a means of remotely playing graphical powershouses, and in actuality playing indie games you could play on anything.

49 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’ve been reading about that today…it seems a fairly long way off and unlikely to be 4K, so I don’t think it would be for me.

Your predicament made me look up Amazon Luna. Might be worth a look when it comes to the UK? Pad connects directly to service like Stadia. I didn't realize I effectively had this now with Prime, there's a rotating selection of games.

3 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Your predicament made me look up Amazon Luna. Might be worth a look when it comes to the UK? Pad connects directly to service like Stadia. I didn't realize I effectively had this now with Prime, there's a rotating selection of games.

Yes that looks great I think, but who knows when we’ll see it here (or even if)…apparently it’s almost as good as Stadia. But then streaming seems to work better over here than over there from what I’ve read, so may well be as good as.

1 hour ago, SozzlyJoe said:

As I understand it the server part of Stadia is just a Linux box. It's hard to imagine there are that many APIs to learn specific to Stadia, though of course I imagine it's a big leap from Windows.

The dev teams actually posted a fair bit about how it works, and it's a fair bit more complicated. Stadia didn't just run a game on a box and stream it as a video, it sounds far more complex (to my small mind) than that.

https://stadia.dev/blog/

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

The dev teams actually posted a fair bit about how it works, and it's a fair bit more complicated. Stadia didn't just run a game on a box and stream it as a video, it sounds far more complex (to my small mind) than that.

https://stadia.dev/blog/

The 'Apply Now' button still works, of course! https://stadia.dev/apply/

While I cancelled my Geforce Now subscription over the summer i'll definitely be getting back on there when winter hits. £20 seems a lot per month (for the 3080 tier) but even buying a 3080 is equivalent to something like a 2-3 year subscription. I imagine most people will be getting a refund big enough to buy a Shield TV (also the best smart app box available) and get a few months subscription.

Added bonus is you buy the games via a normal storefront so not locked into the platform.

One huge caveat is that game support is still limited, although there is still a lot of choice. More choice than Stadia still, but you're not getting full access to everything on Steam etc.

4 minutes ago, bear said:

The Geforce Now app also works on the Chromecast with Google TV or whatever it's called. Worth mentioning because I'm just assuming all these refunds will end up as Play Store credit. 

That’s interesting!

Regarding refunds, the announcement says they will attempt to refund to the method you used to make the purchases.