Google Stadia - “it’s too bleak to read, say streaming fans”

Ive just ordered the Cyberpunk bundle but it took me a while to decide if I should .. I was looking for a catch as it seemed too good to be true?

If I have this right, you get -

- Cyberpunk 2077 on release

- The Stadia Joypad

- A Google Chromecast Ultra (which as a bonus, we were looking at getting anyway which is usually £50 - £60?)

- 1 month Stadia pro which gives you 20 ish games to play for your free  month

- £10 voucher to use on the stadia  store.

All this for £50 seems to be a good deal?

I totally get the concerns of the device/ service not being supported down the line but as I see it, as long as I can get through Cyberpunk before this happens and I have the Chromecast which we wanted anyway, it seems like a bargain?

28 minutes ago, Tim said:

Ive just ordered the Cyberpunk bundle but it took me a while to decide if I should .. I was looking for a catch as it seemed too good to be true?

- The Stadia Joypad

- A Google Chromecast Ultra (which as a bonus, we were looking at getting anyway which is usually £50 - £60?)

I totally get the concerns of the device/ service not being supported down the line but as I see it, as long as I can get through Cyberpunk before this happens and I have the Chromecast which we wanted anyway, it seems like a bargain?

I checked this out and it says they don’t charge you until the game is out but that’s also when they’ll send you an email with details of how to claim your free pad and Chromecast- seems a bit back to front? 

this:

Redemption code for a Stadia Premiere Edition to use at the Google Store will be sent to the email address associated with your Stadia account by January 15, 2021 11:59 pm GMT, and must be redeemed by January 31, 2021 11:59 pm GMT. You must have or add a form of payment at checkout, but may not be charged depending on the shipping method you select.

28 minutes ago, Tim said:

- The Stadia Joypad

Yep, seems like a good deal to me. The Chromecast is nice for big Tele anyway. I already have the £10 but I didn't realise that the pro came with a month sub, so that is another nice extra. Now I just need to get my full 80Mb internet working nicely with the Chromecast.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I checked this out and it says they don’t charge you until the game is out but that’s also when they’ll send you an email with details of how to claim your free pad and Chromecast- seems a bit back to front? 

this:

Yes ... I should've mention this also, in that as I understand it, although Cyberpunk will be accessible on the 10th Dec, technically as per the T+C's you've quoted there, I could actually be waiting until early/mid Jan for the code to claim the stadia premium edition.

Now that's worse case scenario and I'm hoping the code is sent 10th Dec or there abouts ....but it's a risk I'm willing to take as I can't conceivably get started on Cyberpunk Day one anyway, just have my fingers crossed to have it at Christmas.

For anyone considering the deal but also want Cyberpunk on the go from 10th Dec onwards guaranteed, the workaround here in the short term is that you can access stadia from a range of Devices and connections, although this isn't ideal and poor second choice of it comes to that.

Edit: TDLR what @Mike1812 said!

59 minutes ago, Tim said:

Yes ... I should've mention this also, in that as I understand it, although Cyberpunk will be accessible on the 10th Dec, technically as per the T+C's you've quoted there, I could actually be waiting until early/mid Jan for the code to claim the stadia premium edition.

Now that's worse case scenario and I'm hoping the code is sent 10th Dec or there abouts ....but it's a risk I'm willing to take as I can't conceivably get started on Cyberpunk Day one anyway, just have my fingers crossed to have it at Christmas.

For anyone considering the deal but also want Cyberpunk on the go from 10th Dec onwards guaranteed, the workaround here in the short term is that you can access stadia from a range of Devices and connections, although this isn't ideal and poor second choice of it comes to that.

I guess a laptop connected to a big screen with a decent pad is the best option, if available. 

1 hour ago, Tim said:

Apparently, google stadia support have said that they intend to get the codes and hardware out asap after 10 Dec. so obviously not launch but hopefully not months later either.

52 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Apparently, google stadia support have said that they intend to get the codes and hardware out asap after 10 Dec. so obviously not launch but hopefully not months later either.

Cheers for the heads up, that's reassuring.

I've just done the Cyberpunk preorder too.  I signed up for the pro trial and used my £10 to buy Grid and from a bit of messing around it seems good to me.  Hopefully the pad thing arrives before xmas as it'll be a present for me from the kids.

I haven't had a proper console since the PS3 so have no direct comparison for most of these games, but I think it'll make a nice addition to the Switch for some of the bigger games and still give me the flexibility to play in the living room or in the office if the TV is in use.

I've been playing around with Destiny 2 on this and quite enjoying it.  One thing is on the character select screen and the screen where you change your equipment I don't see my character, just a spinning graphic indicating its trying to load something.  Anyone else seeing this?

It'll be interesting to see how Cyberpunk performs on this. Doom Eternal was an amazing demonstration of what the platform is capable of after Id fixed the launch latency bug but many other ports haven't been so impressive.

There's also the various rumours out there about Stadia's servers getting an updated GPU that can do ray-tracing but it would be good to get confirmation that this is incoming similar to what's been confirmed for Series X and PS5 for 2021. 

Theres a thing happening tomorrow:

Come hang out with Austin Creed (a.k.a. WWE’s Xavier Woods) and Katie Wilson live. You’ll get the chance to:

Hang out with our hosts while they play some games. 

Watch four new trailers.

Get some updates from Stadia Games & Entertainment.

Catch a live Q&A with one of the devs behind Immortals Fenyx Rising.

And more!

It all starts at 9 AM PT/5 PM GMT on December 3. Join us by heading to our YouTube channel. And to make extra-sure you’re ready to play, sign up for a Stadia Pro free trial if you haven’t already. 

Don't know if these are normal or not.

Me again. I installed the Stadia+ chrome extension last night and boy, what a difference! https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stadia -extension/bbhmnnecicphphjamhdefpagipoegijd

It switches the high quality chrome cast ultra stream on for in the browser (along with a load of other things) and suddenly I’m getting a native 1440p resolution and any hint of 1080p up scaling blurriness is gone. 

I'm running at 1440p and 60fps in the browser.  Only played for 30 mins last night but it looks pretty good, I don't have much to compare it to and in my experience you can't go and look at the graphics options in stadia games to see what's on and what isn't.

Has anyone who preordered had their email to claim the free Stadia hardware pack yet?

Edit: I just checked and it actually has a graphics toggle between High Framerate & Visuals.  It was defaulted to High Framerate.

On 30/11/2020 at 09:36, Jonny5 said:

I've just done the Cyberpunk preorder too.  I signed up for the pro trial and used my £10 to buy Grid and from a bit of messing around it seems good to me.  Hopefully the pad thing arrives before xmas as it'll be a present for me from the kids.

I haven't had a proper console since the PS3 so have no direct comparison for most of these games, but I think it'll make a nice addition to the Switch for some of the bigger games and still give me the flexibility to play in the living room or in the office if the TV is in use.

Hmm, this is like me - all I have at the moment is Switch and the last proper machine I had was the Xbox 360. I was thinking of getting a new Xbox now I’ve got an LG OLED, but I’m not too fussed about it really. Is this Stadia worth buying do you think? It seems ridiculously cheap...

just went in to look up the Cyberpunk offer and saw PGA2k 21 on offer for £10.99, I still had the £10 off offer on there as a former subscriber to Pro so seemed hard to pass up on that for 99p as was looking at it for a lot more on Switch & PS4, and looks like Stadia should be able to do a good version of golf.

I think half the trick (or more) of Stadia is picking the right games to play.  The Tomb Raiders worked really well, I thought, and though Cyberpunk seems a bit more "action-y" than I was expecting it also seems to handle it well.  I played a couple of hours last night after it unlocked so haven't got very far but the first mission (which includes some shooting and some driving and some shooting whilst driving) was fine.

6 hours ago, ChristopherBloodAxe said:

Just got cyberpunk on the platform but forgot that you only get 4k if you are subscribed to pro. Pfff.

You also only get 4k if you use their special power adapter... which I don't have a spare power outlet for so I've been slumming it with one of the USB ports on the back of the TV.  Maybe I'm getting old, but 1080p at a relaxed distance from the TV seems ok to me!

14 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

It does seem to kinda ruin the whole point of Stadia if you have to mess with visual settings in the game.

there are litterally two options to choose from and you can completely ignore it if you want. I do agree to an extent though, for stadia to be viable longer-term, I really want to be able to play the latest games at max performance, something that would cost me nearly £2k to have on PC. I don't really want to have to make visual or frame-rate compromises.

Yeah, it's just two options (although there's also the issue of different performance / settings based on pro subscription or not) but it fights against the core message of the service - no faffing, you just get the best looking version of the game streamed to you.

It already seems like it's a difficult sell for them, so diluting the core (or one of the core) selling points of the service seems like it's going to make it an even harder sell.

You know what, having spent a bit of time playing various Stadia games over the weekend thanks to getting two free controllers for being a Youtube Premium subscriber, I am now a true believer. If you've got a nice stable internet connection, it delivers on its promise of minimal faff gaming. Even playing Doom in 4K, whatever lag there was wasn't enough to impact on the fast, twitchy nature of the gameplay.

I've got family sharing set up with my wife, kids and my brother. Only one of us needs to buy a game and we all get to play on our own accounts, which is great because you can also share all the free games you get with a Pro subscription with everyone in your family, whether or not they have a subscription. (Also my brother just told me he's bought Cyberpunk, meaning I get to play it for free.)

21 minutes ago, MechE said:

I've got family sharing set up with my wife, kids and my brother.

Hah!  Thanks for that.  That's one of the features I've actually been waiting for, and it turns out it's been there a while and I just hadn't noticed... Way to go Stadia Marketing guys!

You'll be telling me I can play on iOS next...

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

Hmm, this is like me - all I have at the moment is Switch and the last proper machine I had was the Xbox 360. I was thinking of getting a new Xbox now I’ve got an LG OLED, but I’m not too fussed about it really. Is this Stadia worth buying do you think? It seems ridiculously cheap...

You can sign up for free now and get a month of pro + £10 to spend on a game and test it out in your browser with any controller you can connect to the machine.  

As far as I can tell you really want to be using it on something wired to your router rather than over wifi for the best experience, but I've been playing Destiny 2 for a week or so now and honestly can't tell that its running in some datacenter somewhere rather than on my machine.

I think they're missing a trick getting a bunch of strategy, adventure, and rpg games on the service. Slightly slower, less 'twitch' gaming, that relies on less on reflexes and controller latency. But I think right now they want to go big with the action games so it looks more comparable to a console, or maybe they're just bigger sellers in the end.

25 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

You can sign up for free now and get a month of pro + £10 to spend on a game and test it out in your browser with any controller you can connect to the machine.  

As far as I can tell you really want to be using it on something wired to your router rather than over wifi for the best experience, but I've been playing Destiny 2 for a week or so now and honestly can't tell that its running in some datacenter somewhere rather than on my machine.

So if I sign up one of my secondary google accounts, I can do the trial on that, link it to my main account and play cyberpunk in 4k on my main account or my secondary account or both? Can't wait for the stadia controller and chromecast to get to me: cyberpunk in 4k on my 'big' tele sounds amazing.

Connection-wise, I'm currently playing on my PC, connected wirelessly (2.4GHz) to a mobile wifi router on Vodafone and it is brilliant. I get the odd blip that happens with a mobile wifi set-up but that isn't stadia's fault.

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - “it’s too bleak to read, say streaming fans”