Google Stadia - “now a Game Pass killer: The Crew 2 >>> Forza Horizon”

1 hour ago, choddo said:

@ZOKThe video I saw about this said it was too expensive. Did you have to pay for Cyberpunk on top of paying for the service as virtualised hardware?

I paid £40 for Cyberpunk game, controller and Chromecast Ultra, and I’ve paid £8.99 so far for the monthly pro sub that makes it 4K rather than 1080p (and gives you access to the other games I haven’t played).

It’s been an amazing bargain as far as I’m concerned. Whether I’ll pay for the sub when (if!) I lose interest in Cyberpunk I don’t know...I know I’ve got Sniper Elite IV in my games that I’ve always fancied playing, but I haven’t really looked at what else is there.

12 hours ago, deerokus said:

Even by their own standards that's kind of shambolic. 

Phil Harrison has quite a track record of failure in the industry at this point. 

The moment he was appointed gave it the kiss of death, but then what has Jade Raymond achieved since Assassin’s Creed? Must be great hopping around these companies being offered high salaries and doing nothing - charmed lives those two. 

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The moment he was appointed gave it the kiss of death, but then what has Jade Raymond achieved since Assassin’s Creed? Must be great hopping around these companies being offered high salaries and doing nothing - charmed lives those two. 

What was her job title? I've worked on games that have been cancelled midway through development and believe me, no-one at the studio was "doing nothing". It's soul destroying when it happens, feels like you've just wasted a year or more of your life.

2 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

What was her job title? I've worked on games that have been cancelled midway through development and believe me, no-one at the studio was "doing nothing". It's soul destroying when it happens, feels like you've just wasted a year or more of your life.

She left Motive Studios in October 2018, alluding to a "top secret project".[12][13] In March 2019, Raymond announced that she had joined Google as a vice president; during the 2019 Game Developers Conference, Google affirmed that she will be heading Google's Studios, Stadia Games and Entertainment, to create exclusive content for Google's Stadia streaming service.[14] She left Stadia Games and Entertainment, as well as Google, in February 2021.[15]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Raymond

She was directly involved with development then. In my experience she'd probably have been less hands on, but she wouldn't have been just twiddling her thumbs. She'd have been a combination of manager and creative director and quite an annoying presence for the rest of the devs who'd have wished she'd just have left them alone to make the game.

4 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

She was directly involved with development then. In my experience she'd probably have been less hands on, but she wouldn't have been just twiddling her thumbs. She'd have been a combination of manager and creative director and quite an annoying presence for the rest of the devs who'd have wished she'd just have left them alone to make the game.

Who knows what she did but she seems able to land some nice high paid roles. 

This is a bit disappointing. I’m a huge convert to Stadia since getting the Cyberpunk deal for Christmas. When you’re playing through the Chromecast it’s honestly hard to discern any difference from playing a game locally, and the quality is phenomenal - Destiny 2 is a vast improvement over the PS4/Xbox versions, and Cyberpunk looks stunning too (and is probably the most stable version). It really does feel like the future - it completely removes the fuss of having to manage local storage, you don’t have to race scalpers to shell out £400 on a new console, and you don’t have to make room for a huge plastic box under your TV. 

There are drawbacks - the quality over WiFi is much less consistent than it is with a wired connection - but it really does feel like a viable platform for playing games, much more than I would have anticipated. 

8 minutes ago, K said:

This is a bit disappointing. I’m a huge convert to Stadia since getting the Cyberpunk deal for Christmas. When you’re playing through the Chromecast it’s honestly hard to discern any difference from playing a game locally, and the quality is phenomenal - Destiny 2 is a vast improvement over the PS4/Xbox versions, and Cyberpunk looks stunning too (and is probably the most stable version). It really does feel like the future - it completely removes the fuss of having to manage local storage, you don’t have to race scalpers to shell out £400 on a new console, and you don’t have to make room for a huge plastic box under your TV. 

There are drawbacks - the quality over WiFi is much less consistent than it is with a wired connection - but it really does feel like a viable platform for playing games, much more than I would have anticipated. 

I think this will continue to be a problem as most people using online services these days, whatever they are, don’t rely on wired connections - maybe 5G will eventually solve this but obviously that’s some years away from being fully integrated. 

Just now, Stanley said:

I think this will continue to be a problem as most people using online services these days, whatever they are, don’t rely on wired connections - maybe 5G will eventually solve this but obviously that’s some years away from being fully integrated. 

I would have thought the opposite, surely - wifi connections are only going to improve over time. But yeah, the thing I thought was going to be the main strength of Stadia - being able to play games on any screen - is more of a nice bonus than the core of the service. It works best in the role of the console on the main TV in the house. Given the low barriers to entry I think it works extremely well in that role, but if you've already got a PS5 or new Xbox then there's not much reason to get a Stadia.

18 minutes ago, K said:

Agree with all of this - except I haven’t tried wired, I’ve only ever had it hooked up via wifi and it’s still been rock solid 4K.

2 minutes ago, K said:

I would have thought the opposite, surely - wifi connections are only going to improve over time. But yeah, the thing I thought was going to be the main strength of Stadia - being able to play games on any screen - is more of a nice bonus than the core of the service. It works best in the role of the console on the main TV in the house. Given the low barriers to entry I think it works extremely well in that role, but if you've already got a PS5 or new Xbox then there's not much reason to get a Stadia.

Well yeah I imagine they will continue to improve especially with 5G but as you’ve said yourself, at the moment WiFi isn’t reliable enough. 

Here in the Netherlands with a mostly decent network infrastructure and no data caps, a platform like Stadia is perfect. But I never understood how it could be viable in for example Google home base the US of A, as I hear nothing but bad things about their infrastructure and their draconian data caps. 

I was one of the biggest naysayers about game streaming early in this thread, but after playing around with the free CCU I got with Cyberpunk, I'm convinced. The convenience factor is amazing, I just wish the default Stadia controller was better and more ergonomical, and their business plan wasn't a complete shambles. With those two factors in mind, I'm very much looking forward to Microsoft building up Xcloud to something similar, with a dedicated dongle that you can wire up and plug directly into the telly. The Game Pass model is perfect for this and their cloud library is already miles ahead of Stadia's, and the Series controller is the most ergonomical controller I've ever held.

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

Agree with all of this - except I haven’t tried wired, I’ve only ever had it hooked up via wifi and it’s still been rock solid 4K.

You may as well give it a shot, as it's literally just a matter of going to the stadia website and loading up a game. It's an interesting experience, especially on mobile but the experience isn't quite there yet in terms of seamlessly using your Stadia controller. And you're much more at the mercy of the network being used by other people.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Well yeah I imagine they will continue to improve especially with 5G but as you’ve said yourself, at the moment WiFi isn’t reliable enough. 

It is for me, and my connection is nothing special, just basic BT fibre.

Re @Mr. Gerbik’s point about the controller, I’ve been fine with it. It’s nice and comfy I find, just feels a bit ‘empty’ on one side where it’s clearly got nothing inside the moulding.

It's a fairly obvious move by the suits I'd say - at heart google are not a content company really, so why throw fortunes down a well in the notoriously difficult 'new IP' arena at this point, there are so few successes in recent years and its such a high risk area. The wins are huge but every Fortnite, Rocket League etc sees scores of clones or wannabes that sink on launch. 

You've got tech that you've proved now works, the 'suit' move is to try and become the next AWS and become a core underlying platform for gaming that publishers/devs use, letting them take all the risk in funding the actual content and trying to get it sold. 

Of course MS have a similar platform which I'm sure they'd licence out too, but there is room for more than 1 player here while streaming establishes itself - and even if not ready to quite make consoles defunct its a play to try and be that core platform while that moves shapes up.

41 minutes ago, ZOK said:

It is for me, and my connection is nothing special, just basic BT fibre.

Re @Mr. Gerbik’s point about the controller, I’ve been fine with it. It’s nice and comfy I find, just feels a bit ‘empty’ on one side where it’s clearly got nothing inside the moulding.

Oh yeah it's fine for most. It feels a lot like the Switch Pro controller to me. So much so, that I still find myself automatically hitting B when the game prompts A. But due to my arthritic hands having a perfectly ergonomical controller is very important to me. The DS4, the DualSense, and the Bone abd Series controllers are all far better in this regard. With the Series one being the best so far for me, it's perfect.

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

It's a fairly obvious move by the suits I'd say - at heart google are not a content company really, so why throw fortunes down a well in the notoriously difficult 'new IP' arena at this point, there are so few successes in recent years and its such a high risk area. The wins are huge but every Fortnite, Rocket League etc sees scores of clones or wannabes that sink on launch. 

You've got tech that you've proved now works, the 'suit' move is to try and become the next AWS and become a core underlying platform for gaming that publishers/devs use, letting them take all the risk in funding the actual content and trying to get it sold. 

Of course MS have a similar platform which I'm sure they'd licence out too, but there is room for more than 1 player here while streaming establishes itself - and even if not ready to quite make consoles defunct its a play to try and be that core platform while that moves shapes up.

I think this is it really. Google are really a platforms company rather than a content company. The 3 big Cloud providers will each have their gaming platforms and it'll be up to publishers which one they distribute their content on.

I don't see this as a death-knell for Stadia tbh.

I know I come across as a negative nancy in this thread but thats down to frustration with how close Stadia is to being really good than me being against the idea of the service. Pressing the claim/buy button on the Stadia site, seeing it change to Play and then starting a game in seconds was the best thing about Stadia early on and it still is which sounds damning but it is very, very cool compared to the "you can play this in 43 hours" experience of using a PC or console. The wifi controller setup was a bit clunky when I did it first but being able to easily use the same controller on multiple devices is also cool. Being easily able to share your library with family members is great. My mother will never play Risk of Rain 2 but it'd be easy for her to try it out. Making sure the service worked with the Xbox Adaptive controller as well the standard pad, also great. These are all positive things that they deserve credit for but it also makes it more frustrating when they do stupid shit. 

Microsoft get knocked constantly for launching the Series S/X without meaningful exclusives but we know they have big games in the works and that once the Bethesda deal goes through they'll probably have more people making games for them than anyone apart from Tencent. Google announced their first studio weeks before Stadia launched, thats just dumb. Not being able to use Stadia with the new Chromecast, which is very nice by the way, also dumb. Geforce Now works, why can't Stadia? 

More competition should be welcomed but based on what I've used of Stadia I couldn't recommend it compared to Xcloud or Geforce Now, haven't messed much with PSNow to be able to judge that. I don't like that.

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

You’re absolutely right about Harrison, whose constant upwards failure is really quite remarkable, but I think that’s a bit unfair on Jade Raymond. She built the Toronto studio for Ubi from the ground up, then did the same for EA with Motive. In that respect she was the perfect hire for Stadia — Google wanted to make games and needed someone to get a development division stood up — albeit far too late in the day to make any difference. 

Sad about all this, they had some good talent over there that I suppose were always on a hiding to nothing but presumably thought, like I did, that maybe this time Google would be different. Ho hum. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

But I never understood how it could be viable in for example Google home base the US of A, as I hear nothing but bad things about their infrastructure and their draconian data caps. 

Not only do we routinely have data caps, but we're getting more, and harsher caps. I read they just got introduced for some Comcast users and one guy found his family (usual 2x WFH + kids online learning) was at 90% of the monthly allowance. I pay for 1TB and I'm still nursing ours, not quite ready to just let all devices update themselves. If PUBG keeps cranking out patches and they're 20gb each time (effectively the whole damn game?), it really adds up. And this is mostly 1080p streaming we do, very little is 4k.

That said, I'm really glad Stadia was working out for some. The more options we all have the better, and it keeps the platforms honest. It would be awful for me anything but wired, because the prevalence of wifi devices means everyone has a massively powerful router and I can pickup, and get interference from, a ludicrous number of APs here. There are parts of my house where next door's wifi signal is stronger than mine. I hope we get more options for wired xCloud soon, via my phone it's not cutting the mustard.

43 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

You’re absolutely right about Harrison, whose constant upwards failure is really quite remarkable, but I think that’s a bit unfair on Jade Raymond. She built the Toronto studio for Ubi from the ground up, then did the same for EA with Motive. In that respect she was the perfect hire for Stadia — Google wanted to make games and needed someone to get a development division stood up — albeit far too late in the day to make any difference. 

Sad about all this, they had some good talent over there that I suppose were always on a hiding to nothing but presumably thought, like I did, that maybe this time Google would be different. Ho hum. 

I’m just going on the games she’s produced, as far as I can see all Motive delivered was the lacklustre single player campaign for Star Wars Battlefront II, wasn’t she in charge of Visceral Games too before that was shut? 

I suppose it's difficult to know the creative freedom she's had since. I could well believe EA was design-by-committee, and Google were never going to follow through on the time it takes to start up a studio and crank out an AAA game. Like, literally. Their average product lifetime is 4 years, which is probably about the time for a big gaming title, right?

2 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I suppose it's difficult to know the creative freedom she's had since. I could well believe EA was design-by-committee, and Google were never going to follow through on the time it takes to start up a studio and crank out an AAA game. Like, literally. Their average product lifetime is 4 years, which is probably about the time for a big gaming title, right?

Everything about Stadia was wrong, bar the actual technology which by all accounts is very good, it’s just a fucking mess. My point really was that these people are high profile execs paid very well who seemingly drift around these big companies delivering little if anything of any real worth before departing and doing the same again. I’d imagine the position of VP at Google commands, what, $500k? Nice work if you can get it. 

I dunno. If your goal is to earn money and not have to actually release anything, then it's probably a nice job. If you actually want to create games, then it's probably a complete waste of some of the most productive years of your life.

3 hours ago, Hass said:

I think this is it really. Google are really a platforms company rather than a content company. The 3 big Cloud providers will each have their gaming platforms and it'll be up to publishers which one they distribute their content on.

I don't see this as a death-knell for Stadia tbh.

Has there ever been a successful gaming platform that was just a platform, without exclusive content?

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - “now a Game Pass killer: The Crew 2 >>> Forza Horizon”