Google Stadia - “now a Game Pass killer: The Crew 2 >>> Forza Horizon”

9 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

Google shutting down paid for content stores is a totally different thing to them shutting down ad driven products. 

I paid for my music in Google Music. I'm not raining on your parade, I'm just risk averse after being stung. The good news is that Google have deep enough pockets that if things go south, I reckon they'd refund purchased titles. Microsoft did that when they ditched their ebook store. 

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

I paid for my music in Google Music. I'm not raining on your parade, I'm just risk averse after being stung. The good news is that Google have deep enough pockets that if things go south, I reckon they'd refund purchased titles. Microsoft did that when they ditched their ebook store. 

Yeah, this is how I see this. Google will refund purchases if they totally shutter the store without providing another means of accessing your titles because the PR backlash (even by their standards) wouldn't be tenable and they've got loads of cash. My guess though is that they'll continue to support the store as long as they believe they can sell the underlying platform through whitelabelling simply because the cost of the underlying infrastructure is surely the main issue here.

3 hours ago, TehStu said:

Your google music library has been moved to YouTube though right? It hasn’t vanished. 

33 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

Your google music library has been moved to YouTube though right? It hasn’t vanished. 

Was that automatic? If so, yes. I understood it to be something you kicked off, but elected to export my collection and move it elsewhere. This was possible. Stadia-enhanced PC games can't offer this (unless they let someone roll their own Stadia infrastructure), so they'll need to go the refund route, if at all.

I don't think we need a back and forth here. There is risk in digital purchases and Google has not earned trust for something I cannot readily export. I was just pointing out that the risk exists, arguably more so than, say, Xbox, because the absolute sole purpose of the decades-old Xbox division is to flog games, hardware, and services. Stadia is a gaming product at a data company with an average product lifespan of 4 years. I've only ever bought digital films at Amazon, because my sense is that they have the staying power. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a film from Microsoft (see: ebooks) or Google (propensity for killing products I like).

Everyone's tolerance for this stuff will vary.

https://kotaku.com/stadia-leadership-praised-development-studios-for-great-1846281384

Some grim stuff there. Harrison sent out an email praising the work of the first party teams a week before the closures were announced.  And then:

Developers had to wait three days after receiving the news to directly share their confusion and frustration with Harrison in a second conference call on February 4. This call was followed by a contentious Q&A where the Stadia boss was confronted about his email from just the week before which suggested anything but a wholesale shutdown of the studios. Harrison expressed his regret over the misleading statements made in his previous email, according to four sources with knowledge of the call. When asked what changed from the week prior, Harrison admitted nothing had and told those on the call, “We knew.”

Sheesh. 

On 16/02/2021 at 12:36, footle said:

I’m in a town of 50kish. Pretty “middle”.

58k. 

But this is the problem, as far as the government are concerned I have fibre.

Because FTTC counts.  The fact that the C is an overloaded green box a full kilometer away doesn't matter, I have fibre. Lovely 18mbps fibre.

Directly prior to Stadia’s launch, Google quietly walked back claims with regard to the platform’s ability to play every game in 4k resolution, particularly for those with slower internet connections, the suit says. As a result of its false and misleading claims, Google was able to lock a large customer base into its subscription offerings through pre-orders, hooking gamers who essentially served as beta testers prior to Stadia’s wider free release in 2020, the case says.

I think I’ve identified a flaw in their argument. 

@Paulando you’ve been using a kishi pad and your iPhone with stadia right? Does it have all the buttons needed for Stadia?

I’ve also seen pictures with two different button symbols, one Xbox and the other generic. what does the iOS version come with?

Finally, anyone seen the ios version for less than a hundred quid? A £20 premium for iOS over android smarts a little. 

12 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

you’ve been using a kishi pad and your iPhone with stadia right? Does it have all the buttons needed for Stadia?

It does!

The iOS version has a generic ‘guide’ button which opens the Stadia menu, and it has all of the other start/menu buttons, shoulder buttons, and L3/R3.

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

I didn't actually realise they'd bought the jttsp devs. And then shut them down.  

The guy that founded Typhoon sold them to Google and then jumped ship to work for Google so he made out alright. By all accounts he's a proper dick as well.

29 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

The guy that founded Typhoon sold them to Google and then jumped ship to work for Google so he made out alright. By all accounts he's a proper dick as well.

Yeah, wasn't he the guy who was arguing on twitter and had a pop at Giant Bomb? Twat. 

5 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

They fixed the bug in JttSP btw, so they must have retained some technical people. 

Hopefully the devs charged them an arm and a leg to come back in as consultants.

On 20/02/2021 at 22:51, Jonny5 said:

@Paulando you’ve been using a kishi pad and your iPhone with stadia right? Does it have all the buttons needed for Stadia?

I’ve also seen pictures with two different button symbols, one Xbox and the other generic. what does the iOS version come with?

Finally, anyone seen the ios version for less than a hundred quid? A £20 premium for iOS over android smarts a little. 

I got one of these in the end and I'm conflicted.  Looking at the pictures I assumed the two halves of the pad were attached via some expanding strip which then clamped the phone in between.  It does work like this, only the bit attaching the two halves is a rubber strip.  When attached to the phone the side which plugs in is solid, but the other side is far from solid.  If you push it away from you it's restricted from moving by your phone, put if you pull it towards you the elastic at the back stretches and it flexes loads. It just feels pretty flimsy for a £100 gamepad.  It also requires me to take my phone out of its case in order to fit it into the pad which is a bit annoying.  

I tried it with some Apple Arcade games and it works well enough, but trying to actually play Stadia on my phone screen (An iPhone 11 Pro) is pushing the limits of my old man eyes. I think I'll be sending it back and might just get a phone clip which attaches to the pad.  The only issue is that the rumble is so noisy on the stadia pad that it would irritate the shit out of my wife if I sat there playing while she was trying to watch TV. :lol:

The rumble on the Stadia pad is ridiculous. The noise a normal controller makes when you it rumbles on a hard surface is the noise the Stadia pad makes when it's held in your hand.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-26/google-video-game-unit-stadia-struggled-to-be-googley-enough

This is quite an interesting article on Stadia, the amazing super-console that is poised to destroy Sony and Microsoft any day now. I’m not 100% convinced things are as simple as the article makes out - the thrust of the argument is that they should have done it more like Gmail and taken it very slowly, but Phil Harrison fucked everything up by trying to launch it like a traditional console and failing. Although that is a pretty compelling story, and interestingly Microsoft and Sony are being relatively cautious and low-key with PSNow and Xcloud.

It’s hard to deny that the Stadia launch felt more like a beta anyway, with almost all of the features missing at launch, and weird fuckups like the launch date being the day where they would post the controllers out, rather than the day that people would receive them. They even had Google employees offering to hand-deliver them to people’s houses. 

I disagree with the thesis of that article - I think it’s the opposite problem.

They were launching a platform but didn’t put the groundwork to fully launch it as a new platform, instead believing streaming would be a sufficient USP on its own when, if anything, it puts people off.

Instead, they needed to think of launching it akin to launching a new console. What do you need to do to compete with Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo/Valve? Obviously having some of the same games would get you nowhere - instead, you need either compelling day 1 exclusive content or provide a fundamental different value model (akin to Gamepass). They needed a Halo, Half-Life 2 or similar to get people to buy into the concept. You’re not going to succeed if you wait until years later.

But, as it is, what is the difference between Onlive and Stadia? Seems like it’s just history repeating itself on a bigger scale.

There’s more potential in Xcloud, which has the strengths of the existing Game Pass user base and Xbox infrastructure, and Luna, where the low-cost Netflix-like model has a lower barrier to entry.