rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia - 2 months free pro (as long as you don’t want to use a chromecast)

Just now, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

is it a console?

No, it's a platform-agnostic... platform.

I'm streaming this video to my TV and it is a terrible demonstration of the power of streaming and I'm not even using a controller.

• Upvote 2

Very light on actual concrete... anything. Wondering how they’re going to shoehorn a shit load of advertising in to it. And data privacy abuse. 

Fucking google. 

Possibly the most boring conference I’ve ever seen.

that could have been 10 minutes easy.

It is pretty smart, I'd say.

Removing the console part entirely is a smart way of reducing the inevitable internet lag. The slick "watch the trailer, play the game immediately" is an obvious improvement over the "pre-order, hope the pre-load happens, hope the Day 1 patch downloads" experience. And, for the sort of games that are increasingly popular, the line that the multiplayer online parts are all hosted next to each other is a good one. Being able to share my exact game state has cool possibilities if you imagine roguelikes or similar type challenge games.

I've got no interest at all in the YouTube stuff, but that's me being an old man. It also had some good ideas.

Whether there's much good to play on it is a different question. But it's much more obviously fully thought through than the Sony/MS method of just streaming games in a way that's going to expose a lot of problems.

• Upvote 2

Oh yeah completely forgot about Gaikai and OnLive (amazing product names btw lmao). I guess that's an issue of infrastructure though?

I don’t understand how removing the console has any material effect on lag. The wireless path from my PS4 controller to my PS4 is very low latency. 

Disappointed there wasn't a "...and you can buy it right now!" announcement at the end.

From playing GeForce Now and the Project Stream beta I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Soi said:

The wireless path from my PS4 controller to my PS4 is very low latency. 

It actually isn't. There's a great quote out there from Carmack lamenting it takes longer to push a pixel to the screen than send a packet to Europe from the US.

Bluetooth (which the PS4 controller uses) is even worse.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

And I'm still sceptical about lag.

Either you're sensitive to that unavoidable lag or not. I suspect that the bigger audience won't be, similar to my in-laws either not seeing any difference between VHS and blu-ray back in the day, or even arguing that VHS looks better. I think this Google Box could theoretically be a success. But every form of game streaming I've tried so far felt bad to me and I could clearly see that it was a stream. I'm buying normal consoles in the upcoming gen and will continue to do so while that is an option, but if it ever transpires that streaming is the only available option, I still have a backlog that will literally last me three lifetimes. I'm still very very interested in how this will do though, could be a massive success or a hilarious, Ouya-like failure. Fascinating times.

12 minutes ago, JPickford said:

No explanation of how they will be charging for the games.   

Yeah, the only important thing about it, content and pricing, everything else has been done before.

I'm sure some people really like the ideas presented here and I can see the appeal for the modern gamer, but I just think that both Microsoft and Sony have got this covered already, streaming and dedicated hardware to boot, and exclusive games people give a shit about.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, the only important thing about it, content and pricing, everything else has been done before.

Maybe they pause the game for a commercial break every 15 minutes.

• Upvote 3