rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia - 2 months free pro (as long as you don’t want to use a chromecast)

52 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

The transaction has disappeared from my Google account's history page though, which is a bit disturbing...

That's just the negative latency.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, fretnoise said:

I'll have the best possible experience, seeing as I'm the only person on the planet not to have cancelled?

I'm still in, adjust your ping!! 

The Guardian says "it works".

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/nov/18/google-stadia-review-gylt

From the NYT: "In my tests playing several Stadia games last week, I was generally impressed with how smoothly the games streamed. Even titles with intense graphics ran well on my TV, on a laptop and on a cheap smartphone. But there were occasional glitches and quality issues because of inconsistent internet speeds and early bugs."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/18/technology/personaltech/google-stadia-review.html?partner=IFTTT

It’s really very good. Couple of frames of latency which I’m sure will be a deal breaker for many but I was really impressed with it. And getting a download code for something, opening up a new browser tab and playing immediately is just magical. Shame they’ve made such a mess of the launch, really. 

Apparently Red Dead 2 on Stadia is comparable to the Xbox One X version according to Eurogamer. 

Our final game focus is the big one - Red Dead Redemption 2. Stadia is based on a Linux OS running the Vulkan graphics API, and we know from our recent PC testing that Rockstar supports both this and DirectX 12 with the latest iteration of the Rage engine. We also know that invoking the PC game's higher-end features comes at a cost, so the developer's choices here in how to use Stadia's power should be intriguing.

Again, the obvious takeaway from Stadia is that despite a 4K output from Chromecast Ultra, the game itself is rendering at a lower resolution. It took a bit of effort to figure out what's going on, but the evidence points to Red Dead Redemption 2 operating with an internal pixel-count of 1440p. Again, we'll be looking at the specific visual feature set of the Stadia port in future, but first impressions suggest a good level of similarity in terms of specific settings with the Xbox One X version. Meanwhile, the Stadia port of RDR2 also seems to be running at the same 30 frames per second frame-rate as well. It's Red Dead Redemption 2 in its entirety, it plays well, and even with the existing, very large latency built into the game, there are no issues whatsoever in progressing through the game via the streaming platform.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-stadia-tech-review

9 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

So it outputs 4k, but the games may not support 4k? So, a bit misleading then. 

Probably depends on the game? Plus its early days and as more developers add games the support is there I guess. If i would trust any possible reviews it's always this channel. Their VR teardown stuff is legendary for detail:

• Upvote 1

The digital foundry piece is well worth a read. Looks solid but barebones, but all the things we knew were going to be a problem (compression and lag) are there with the added bonus of 4K Destiny 2 being 1080p and 4K RDR2 being 1440p. 

The launch is a mess but it won’t hold them back in the long run. 

3 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Otherwise known as the “Ultra HD Blu-ray upscale disc” swizz 

1 hour ago, Mike1812 said:

Same as Xbox then.

So it isn't a 4k/60 ultra settings high end pc experience at all? Just a console like experience with added compression and lag. 

I dunno, but those reviews imply that streaming's the real deal to me. The main grievance seems to be with the Linux port which you'd expect to improve over time.

Pc Gamer

All those doubts went away when I tried playing Destiny 2 on the same limited bandwidth that had worked well for Gylt, 35 Mbps. The pixelation and stuttering made it hard to see and aim, and I often found myself trying to compensate for the lag by moving less. Stadia is just like all the other cloud gaming platforms I've tried: Often great for singleplayer games, terrible for multiplayer if your internet isn't up to snuff.

Google Standstill

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Hass said:

I dunno, but those reviews imply that streaming's the real deal to me. The main grievance seems to be with the Linux port which you'd expect to improve over time.

I completed Warhammer 40K: Space Marine on OnLive in 2011 and had a grand old time with it. Even then it was obvious that streaming is the future. But I got the game free and if I’d paid £40 for it I’d have been pissed off because half the time it looked like a 360p YouTube video. 

I think the same applies now. Streaming is going to be great for getting me into a game quickly and when I’m not in my living room, but I want my Xbox to be there to give me a native, lag free experience when I am. 

Which is why (apart from including it with Game Pass) Xbox are going to win this one. 

42 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I completed Warhammer 40K: Space Marine on OnLive in 2011 and had a grand old time with it. Even then it was obvious that streaming is the future. But I got the game free and if I’d paid £40 for it I’d have been pissed off because half the time it looked like a 360p YouTube video. 

I think the same applies now. Streaming is going to be great for getting me into a game quickly and when I’m not in my living room, but I want my Xbox to be there to give me a native, lag free experience when I am. 

Which is why (apart from including it with Game Pass) Xbox are going to win this one. 

But like I said earlier, the Xbox strategy limits the game to the lowest supported platform which is whatever you have under your TV. There's no such limit in a pure streaming platform - I'd expect devs to be able to do some serious stuff in that environment.

20 minutes ago, Hass said:

But like I said earlier, the Xbox strategy limits the game to the lowest supported platform which is whatever you have under your TV. There's no such limit in a pure streaming platform - I'd expect devs to be able to do some serious stuff in that environment.

Not really because all Xbox exclusives are also on PC and therefore scalable, with regards to scaling hardware to provide more compute power they’ve already done that using Azure for the likes of Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves. 

Even now with extra power that Stadia has it offers worse performance than a powerful PC with RDR2 only being 30fps, for example. 

Obviously it’s early days but so far there’s no evidence of what you’re claiming is possible, it just seems like every other streaming service. 

• Upvote 1

Jesus, just read the bit on DF that mentions you need around 20gb of bandwidth for just an hour of high quality play.

That’s scary. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/11/18/google-reveals-pricing-for-first-stadia-games-pro-subscribers-get-discounts/?amp

Stadia Launch Games Pricing

Assassin's Creed Odyssey  -  $59.99 $30.00 Stadia Pro Deal

Gylt - $29.99

Just Dance 2020 - $49.99

Kine - $19.99

Mortal Kombat 11 - $59.99 $41.99 Stadia Pro Deal

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Launch Edition - $59.99

Samurai Showdown - $59.99

Thumper - $19.99

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - $59.99

Rise of the Tomb Raider - $29.99

Tomb Raider 2013 - $19.99 $10.00 Stadia Pro Deal

Final Fantasy XV - $39.99 $29.99 Stadia Pro Deal

Special Editions:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey Stadia Ultimate Edition - $119.99 - $60.00 Stadia Pro Deal

Mortal Kombat 11 Premium Edition - $89.99 $62.99 Stadia Pro Deal

Red Dead Redemption 2 Special Edition - $79.99

Red Dead Redemption 2 Ultimate Edition - $99.99

• Upvote 1

The whole thing would be both more understandable & desirable IMO if the “Stadia Pro Deal” price was the Standard Price for all these Streaming-only versions of the games.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dave White said:

Pc Gamer

All those doubts went away when I tried playing Destiny 2 on the same limited bandwidth that had worked well for Gylt, 35 Mbps. The pixelation and stuttering made it hard to see and aim, and I often found myself trying to compensate for the lag by moving less. Stadia is just like all the other cloud gaming platforms I've tried: Often great for singleplayer games, terrible for multiplayer if your internet isn't up to snuff.

Google Standstill

35mbps being described as 'limited' bandwidth is worth pointing out. That is hugely above average for the UK. 

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Jesus, just read the bit on DF that mentions you need around 20gb of bandwidth for just an hour of high quality play.

That’s scary. 

Stadia is going to shaft everyone’s broadband connections :blink:. It’s all a conspiracy to get us to upgrade to Faster BB but then Labour will give us it free so all will be good again :P

7 hours ago, JoeK said:

That’s scary. 

Is that a problem these days?

7 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Is that a problem these days?

As far as I'm aware in this country it is still very much a thing. Not many services offer actual unlimited data and the ones that do still aren't cheap. 

Here's a question: can you play this over your mobile data internet and what's the quality like? Because there seems to be more 'unlimited' data plans on phones than for the home these days, and would companies like 3 and Gift Gaff stuff offer that if their services offered the quality to use up that kind of bandwidth?