rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia - 2 months free pro (as long as you don’t want to use a chromecast)

16 minutes ago, Hass said:

To be fair, I don't think Google said anything specifically about ultra, I think people just extrapolated this from the GPU spec. They've always said that the goal was to allow Devs to use the platform as they see fit. 

Maybe you're right, but I definitely remember they themselves (by way of Phil "Doomsday" Harrison) emphasising it had more FLOPS than a Pro and X put together, and that developers wouldn't have any limitations in that regard. Even if they didn't literally say "games on ultra settings", they sure as shit suggested it. So any way you look at it, ending up with a shonky looking version of RDR2 and a game like Destiny 2 which isn't demanding at all running on medium settings, is a disappointment. And this is on top of many, many other things that need fixing or are still missing. If any day one paying customer is disappointed by the lacklustre graphics settings of some games, you can't wave that away with "weeeell they didn't literally say that" - I think said paying customer has a point.

10 hours ago, marsh said:

I'm puzzled as to why my 12 year old has suddenly requested this for a christmas present?

Probably someone on YouTube who liked it.

18 minutes ago, Hass said:

To be fair, I don't think Google said anything specifically about ultra, I think people just extrapolated this from the GPU spec. They've always said that the goal was to allow Devs to use the platform as they see fit. 

But that was the point of the platform. Wasn’t it?

Because if it wasn’t, what *was* the point?

2 hours ago, deKay said:

But that was the point of the platform. Wasn’t it?

Because if it wasn’t, what *was* the point?

I think from a developers perspective the goal is removing resource constraints and the massive inefficiency of multi-sku support on pc. This is a long term benefit given the initial release is ports but developers now have a choice to get to a massive potential market with a single optimisation.

I'm disappointed that the day 1 ports are basically XB1X equivalent though. That needs to be addressed because that optimised build needs to be a showcase.

11 hours ago, CrashedAlex said:

I have many friends who will get back into gaming once they know it's not £400 to walk through the door.

Where did you derive the £400 figure from? 

I was watching someone play Destiny 2 on this and there was a hell of a lot of frame skipping going on, Are others noticing this?

Some people swear they can't see frame skipping so I wonder if they're throttling the connection for some reason.

9 hours ago, Revival said:

I was watching someone play Destiny 2 on this and there was a hell of a lot of frame skipping going on, Are others noticing this?

Some people swear they can't see frame skipping so I wonder if they're throttling the connection for some reason.

I played for 3 hours last night on Destiny on Stadia. In a party of 3, all of us using voice chat. I used the balanced data mode on my 20g connection. No stutter, lag, frame skips or voice/party issues. It was pretty much perfect for all 3 of us. It just worked.

@CrashedAlex, would you put Dangerous Driving on Stadia? Or would you consider it one of the types of games better suited to being played natively?

I ask as someone who supports streaming (I loved OnLive and feel it was ahead of its time). But still thinks it really only works for certain game types. It should be an option, not an alternative. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Revival said:

Destiny 2 is consistently excellent in my experience. I guess the usual questions are around your friend's home network environment. Is the Chromecast / PC wired or wireless? Do they have a mesh wifi or just a single access point? Are they using 5ghz? What's the general contention on their connection like etc.

Eurogamer has a story up about how NBA 2K20 appeared to be downloading an update while someone tried to play it. Google have said it's a bug in the game.

It might be the case but they keep pointing back to the developers on all these issues, including games not being 4K60. I don't know how pleased they're going to be with this sort of relationship with Google. 

I also wonder how inclined they're going to be to put the work into Stadia ports for what seem like few sales (early days yet, though). I suppose it depends just how much work it is, but the fact that Rockstar got RDR2 ready suggests to me that it's not an absolutely enormous amount of work.

It feels very much like the rest of their services - minimal support, automated where possible, while shying away from responsibility. 

10 hours ago, Revival said:

I played Destiny for 3 different bouts of 2 hours yesterday at various times - as others here have said , pretty much perfect.

In other Stadia news - the buddy passes are now being rolled out , and also an interesting article about returns policy if you decide the game doesn't fit Stadia for whatever reason here

I ordered one of these, arriving today - I'm just curious to see what it's all about really.

What I find interesting over the life of this thread is the hostility towards the concept, also the same for that Retro game service with the silly name I can't recall at present.

May be worth a thread in its own right but is this the first generational gaming paradigm shift we're seeing - many of us here are of a certain age and the idea is just firmly rooted in our brains that you play games on physical hardware sat under a tv, the whole idea of streaming seems to be something that threatens that very notion and therefor must be attacked.

It just strikes me as the same thing as my Dad telly me CDs were rubbish and they wouldn't last like his vinyl records did, or who needs satellite TV when I've got 4 perfectly good channels coming thru my aerial. 

Its quite clearly the future - people will always accept a level of degradation in some things for convenience (phone cameras not as good as SLRs, MP3 was inferior to physical media, ear pods on phones not as good as hi-fi etc etc)

• Upvote 1

I think the hostility is about how Google have approached the launch, they've made things far more confusing than they need to be to the point where people are feeling misled. I'd love it to work and had a pre-order until a week before launch. I'd happily order again if they sort their shit out. 

38 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I ordered one of these, arriving today - I'm just curious to see what it's all about really.

What I find interesting over the life of this thread is the hostility towards the concept, also the same for that Retro game service with the silly name I can't recall at present.

May be worth a thread in its own right but is this the first generational gaming paradigm shift we're seeing - many of us here are of a certain age and the idea is just firmly rooted in our brains that you play games on physical hardware sat under a tv, the whole idea of streaming seems to be something that threatens that very notion and therefor must be attacked.

It just strikes me as the same thing as my Dad telly me CDs were rubbish and they wouldn't last like his vinyl records did, or who needs satellite TV when I've got 4 perfectly good channels coming thru my aerial. 

Its quite clearly the future - people will always accept a level of degradation in some things for convenience (phone cameras not as good as SLRs, MP3 was inferior to physical media, ear pods on phones not as good as hi-fi etc etc)

Since E3 how many of the negative posts have been about attacking the concept of game streaming? In general the negativity has moved away from people poopooing the concept and instead it's people who are just negative about Google shipping a product that clearly isn't ready for a full release. 

• Upvote 3

@bradigor Yes - I'd love to do it. As a developer I'm always interested in removing the barriers to people playing. I know loads of friends who'd love to play the game but they just don't have the hardware.

There's a ton of stuff that's possible if we're not worrying about memory as well. I made the point earlier about doing stuff like full detail rear view mirrors, proper headlights, shadows all over the place - fast 3D software like driving games needs BIG power. It can be overcome by years of optimisation - but I'm happy to leave that misery for bigger teams.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

I’m ok with that future but Stadia’s current line-up is living in the past.

1 hour ago, CrashedAlex said:

@bradigor Yes - I'd love to do it. As a developer I'm always interested in removing the barriers to people playing. I know loads of friends who'd love to play the game but they just don't have the hardware.

Don't get me wrong, I really have no clue at all how it all works, but surely as a team it would make more sense to port to Switch before porting to Stadia? I mean, the market and potential returns from one must surely massively dwarf the other?

Or am I missing something....? Is porting to Switch just massively more complicated and costly?

25 minutes ago, CrashedAlex said:

@rgraves Thanks for making us laugh today. (and I mean that in a nice way!)

Good to know I'm useful for something. ;)

It was, in part, a genuine question though - and I'd be really interested in the answer if you'd indulge me a little. What would make a small team such as yourselves consider porting to Stadia but not porting to Switch? Is it purely economics? It is technical? Is it a bit of both? Is it something else entirely (like just pure interest in the tech and what can be done etc)? From the outside looking in, Stadia looks like a huge gamble for anyone (large or small) in terms of return and future right now - so I'm just intrigued to know (and learn) what gives it the lead/edge/green light over a platform that is rocketing along like a Juggernaut in comparison right now.

@rgraves Thanks for the question. But I come here just to talk and read about games with other people who play. I don't discuss commercial decisions on public internet forums.

Sorry if that's not the answer you're looking for. But I hope you can understand!

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Gotters said:

Aside from the level of lag I will accept (which streaming is not capable of meeting, yet). My level is where I have to pay a subscription fee in order to allow me to pay full price for games. I might as well buy a PC on interest free credit, at least i'll own it at some point, plus I'll get the games a hell of a lot cheaper.

I suspect if Apple Music, spotify et al had charged you £10 a month in order to allow you buy albums for £9.99, the take up would not quite have been so stellar. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Aside from the level of lag I will accept (which streaming is not capable of meeting, yet). My level is where I have to pay a subscription fee in order to allow me to pay full price for games. I might as well buy a PC on interest free credit, at least i'll own it at some point, plus I'll get the games a hell of a lot cheaper.

I suspect if Apple Music, spotify et al had charged you £10 a month in order to allow you buy albums for £9.99, the take up would not quite have been so stellar. 

Just for clarity ( which I acknowledge has been less than clear from Google).

"Stadia base" doesn't require subscription, and you buy games full price. Stadia Pro does, you get a game (or two) free a month, and buy games at a discount.

@KriessG Thing is - I have friends who *USED TO* own hardware ages ago. Before they got married, travelled for work, had two kids and many bills to pay. They still have an Xbox 360 knocking around somewhere, unused collecting dust. They just won't be buying hardware again. Just like they don't buy CD's, books, DVD's or even Blu Rays. But they do all mobile phones. And they have a laptop - which they get from their employer.

They won't cough up for an Xbox, or Xbox Live. But the idea of NOT owning something to stick under the TV - is interesting. As is being able to use the Macbook they have or an older laptop. Plus, being able to play whilst travelling for work - all scenarios that appeal.

Not me though, I love my PC.

• Upvote 1