rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia - 2 months free pro (as long as you don’t want to use a chromecast)

I feel like that can be the only reason, they want to slowly ramp up numbers(that seems to be going very well).

I would have thought most people would want to try it out for free on their home network first though. 

I reckon selling games individually at full price the numbers aren’t about to go through the roof anyway just because the service is “free”. 

I think it's likely that they're looking to launch the free tier when the YouTube integration and Chrome feature-set are complete. Chrome just had the 4k rollout but it still doesn't support HDR or 5.1. Plus all the sharing and streaming stuff is still rubbish. I doubt it's a capacity issue but you never know. 

Why wait to implement features for people that aren’t paying for the service? 

Post-Image-Stadia-Announcement-1024x399.

We’re thrilled to finally announce that we’re working on an exclusive title in partnership with Google Stadia.

At Splash Damage we’re always looking to innovate, and always looking for partners and platforms that allow us to do just that. We’ve been huge fans of Stadia ever since it was announced and have been amazed by both the technology and passion for gaming that the Stadia team has.

With the rumours of throttling and resolutions be scaled back Stafia could not have arrived at a worse time.

2 hours ago, gooner4life said:

I've got a stadia app on my iphone??

But you can't play games on it right? I think it's just for controller pairing, not sure if it even has the store on it (I don't have iOS)

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

With the rumours of throttling and resolutions be scaled back Stafia could not have arrived at a worse time.

Rather conspicuously, Google haven't reduced the streaming bandwidth for Stadia like Netflix and Amazon. I'm guessing it's just not a big enough user base to make a difference right now, Google could probably make a much bigger difference by making a minor difference to Google.com

26 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

That’s hilarious. I didn’t realise the games rotated off. So it’s like Game Pass but crap.

They rotate off so you cant claim it anymore, but once claimed it's yours.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Hass said:

But you can't play games on it right? I think it's just for controller pairing, not sure if it even has the store on it (I don't have iOS)

I can pair a controller and see the store, manage settings etc, but i haven't tried playing a game, i'll pair a pad later.

4 hours ago, Hass said:

Serious Sam Collection, The Crew and Spitlings are the Stadia Pro games for April. Metro Exodus comes off though which is a shame for new subscribers.

https://community.stadia.com/t5/Stadia-Community-Blog/This-Week-on-Stadia-Three-new-free-Stadia-Pro-games-and-much/ba-p/17880

Its that Stacks on Stacks game being added to Pro, not The Crew. 

It's getting to the point where buying games on Stadia doesn't make much sense as the chances of it being added to Pro in the near future are so high because there are so few games on the service. 

Kine and Trials next month I reckon. 

There's another even more significant reason why buying games on Stadia doesn't make much sense.

1 hour ago, bear said:

Its that Stacks on Stacks game being added to Pro, not The Crew. 

It's getting to the point where buying games on Stadia doesn't make much sense as the chances of it being added to Pro in the near future are so high because there are so few games on the service. 

Kine and Trials next month I reckon. 

Sorry, I totally misread something there! You're right, The Crew is released but not on the Pro sub.

Cross-posting this in here from the Doom Eternal thread for anyone wondering what the Stadia version is like compared to Xbox One X. 

tl;dr - it looks the same but the latency is a deal-breaker in a way that it isn't on Destiny 2. I couldn't get into the same feeling of "flow" on the Stadia version as the Xbox One version and kept missing critical shots like the spider thingy's turret. Loading times are a little faster on Stadia but not much - the game is very well optimised for load times already.

• Upvote 1

On 17/03/2020 at 09:09, Hass said:

The lag in RDR2 on Stadia is lower than Xbox. Digital Foundry unearthed that one. This is more a reflection on horrific Xbox input lag than any stellar performance from stadia. 

Sorry to jump back to this, but I wonder if this is one of the reasons I didn’t get on with it on Xbox. There were obviously lots of other issues with it, but the controls were worse than the original RDR, which I couldn’t understand. Maybe all those people who loved it were playing on PS4, presuming the controls were more responsive on that console.

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Sorry to jump back to this, but I wonder if this is one of the reasons I didn’t get on with it on Xbox. There were obviously lots of other issues with it, but the controls were worse than the original RDR, which I couldn’t understand. Maybe all those people who loved it were playing on PS4, presuming the controls were more responsive on that console.

I played it on PS4 and the controls were awful, broken shit. Sluggish and unresponsive, impossible to be precise with.

On 26/03/2020 at 10:52, Stanley said:

It arrived months ago, just nobody noticed.

• Upvote 4

Bungie's retrospective on their experience porting Destiny 2 to Stadia is really interesting. Talks about the importance of maintaining stable target frame rate in streaming platforms and the consequences to the encoder and user when that doesn't happen.

Given that they solved some specific problems here in their 6 months it would be interesting to see how they view the Geforce Now experience for the title. 

On 27/03/2020 at 07:20, Hass said:

Cross-posting this in here from the Doom Eternal thread for anyone wondering what the Stadia version is like compared to Xbox One X. 

tl;dr - it looks the same but the latency is a deal-breaker in a way that it isn't on Destiny 2. I couldn't get into the same feeling of "flow" on the Stadia version as the Xbox One version and kept missing critical shots like the spider thingy's turret. Loading times are a little faster on Stadia but not much - the game is very well optimised for load times already.

There was a Digital Foundry post this week which drew the same conclusion - it's got twice the latency on Stadia as any other platform, and inexplicably much more latency than any of the other Stadia games they've tested. Maybe there's something wrong there they can fix?

All of which raises an interesting question. With the current Covid-19 lockdown situation and the increased stress on internet infrastructure in general, are we looking at a genuine problem with the game itself or simply the notion of Stadia itself underperforming in extraordinary circumstances. We went back to Mortal Kombat 11 - a game we tested for latency at launch - and found that we were looking at some increased latency. It seemed to vary between 14ms and 26ms more lag, but this may be down to the fact that it was tested on a different connection (albeit one running on the same Virgin Media network). Maybe the situation will improve once the world regains some sense of normality, but even so, the extra lag does seem very much on the high side, even factoring in the variance added by the Mortal Kombat 11 re-test.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-doom-eternal-stadia-looks-the-part-but-lag-is-too-high

Good old DF. Truly the world will be back to normal when we shave that 14ms extra latency off Mortal Kombat 11. :D

3 months Stadia Pro being given to YouTube Premium subscribers at the moment apparently. Not entirely clear if everyone is getting the offer, might just be UK subscribers based off trends of people reporting it in their inbox.