rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia - 2 months free pro (as long as you don’t want to use a chromecast)

1 hour ago, Hass said:

As an aside, I'm personally more annoyed that they've not delivered on the advertised backend performance. I don't know where those supposed 10.7tflops are going given that what we seem to be seeing right now is ~Xbox One X performance give or take.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the next-gen consoles launch. Afaik Google is already using high-end hardware and the result is performance equivalent to, or even below, Xbox One X. That's going to look really bad once the next-gen consoles are out because those are significantly more terrafloppy than an X.

2 hours ago, Hass said:

I'm guessing that's a vomit machine right? I mean, I'm a big fan of streaming but the latency requirements of no-vomit VR are insanely tight by my understanding. 

No idea. I don't have the hardware, software, or bandwidth to try it.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It will be interesting to see what happens when the next-gen consoles launch. Afaik Google is already using high-end hardware and the result is performance equivalent to, or even below, Xbox One X. That's going to look really bad once the next-gen consoles are out because those are significantly more terrafloppy than an X.

Google's recent GDC vids imply that their solution to improving performance is developers being to use multiple backends (a bit like SLI but covering the whole backends rather than just multi-GPU). I don't have the link at my fingertips but I think they were referring to this as "GameBus" and they gave a demo which showed an AI heavy simulation could get it's workload split across 4 backends.

I'm sure they will be upgrading the individual blades too though over time.

17 hours ago, Hass said:

What I think Google haven't done, and one developer was complaining about, is offer developers a chunk of cash to create an exclusive game for the platform. Again, this is a business model decision but also makes sense if the thrust of their argument to developers is to reduce the cost of entry in the first place. Having said that, they do probably need to incentivise a few third-parties with exclusives - who knows, maybe they've already done that. 

They've sort of done this, with their recent announcements of both buying/setting up development studios and contracting existing developers to develop exclusives to show the unique advantages that Stadio does have over local rendering boxes.

The recent news that Amazon are finally going to start showing what their multi-year investment has produced is going to make life a bit more difficult for Google though. And of course there is Apple, but that's probably after their self-driving car project.

17 hours ago, Hass said:

As an aside, I'm personally more annoyed that they've not delivered on the advertised backend performance. I don't know where those supposed 10.7tflops are going given that what we seem to be seeing right now is ~Xbox One X performance give or take.

This is a curious one, Vega TFLOPs should be comparable to the older TFLOPs  in the consoles, yet some bottleneck somewhere isn't demonstrating that compute advantage. Shame no developers who have actually developed for Stadia are willing or able to spill the beans on why it's not performing better than the paper specs suggest it should.

Good idea that, will definitely try it although the sign up is just taking me to a page to buy the Premiere edition. Will keep trying over the next few days.

It still amazes me that Thumper is one of the games they're pushing for this. Fucking Thumper! :lol:

52 minutes ago, Hass said:

@footle might be worth putting the 2 month offer in the thread title 

done, though I included a personal gripe.

9 minutes ago, footle said:

done, though I included a personal gripe.

You can use a Chromecast? 

2 months free - I might give it a go. Looks at the the free games - maybe not.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hass said:

You can use a Chromecast? 

chromecast ultra would have been too many characters.

I’d be quite interested in trying stadia if I could run it on my tv (given that I have a chromecast ultra plugged in) but I’m not sure I’m interested enough to hook my xps13 up to it.

I cancelled mine before the end of the 3 month trial, seems to have automatically extended to the 21st June. 

Just now, footle said:

chromecast ultra would have been too many characters.

I’d be quite interested in trying stadia if I could run it on my tv (given that I have a chromecast ultra plugged in) but I’m not sure I’m interested enough to hook my xps13 up to it.

Oh, yeah, you'd need to buy a controller to use the Chromecast. 

3 hours ago, vezna said:

Good idea that, will definitely try it although the sign up is just taking me to a page to buy the Premiere edition. Will keep trying over the next few days.

Not a great start that updating a webpage is too difficult is it?

Also yep, downloaded the app, still demands an invite code.

59 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Also yep, downloaded the app, still demands an invite code.

I don't know about the app, but I've just done it via the web and pressed 'Next' and left the invitation blank and it works.

• Upvote 1

I'm really confused by this. I'm keen to give the free trial a go but from what I've just read, the free trial includes access to one of a small number of games a month...and that's it? Well, no, I can also buy some other games, for actual money, that I will never own and lose access to if I cancel my subscription?

I may well choose steamworld quest for free for the first month but in the competitive gaming marketplace that we have now, this seems like a really, really poor offering.

Am I missing anything?

Well it’s free isn’t it? I take it Destiny 2 is still part of the Pro sub, might be worth giving that a try. 

I’ll try myself if I can hook a PS4 or Xbox pad up to my laptop. 

Steamworld Quest is excellent too btw.

4 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

I'm really confused by this. I'm keen to give the free trial a go but from what I've just read, the free trial includes access to one of a small number of games a month...and that's it? Well, no, I can also buy some other games, for actual money, that I will never own and lose access to if I cancel my subscription?

I may well choose steamworld quest for free for the first month but in the competitive gaming marketplace that we have now, this seems like a really, really poor offering.

Am I missing anything?

You are pretty much correct. If they can refine the technology and get more games on there they’ll have half a chance of carving out something. If they haven’t improved things by the launch of the new consoles that will be it for Stadia. But, if they do, you can see a fair amount of people being turned off by the hardware prices of the PS5 and Series X, leaving Google’s service a viable option. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Am I missing anything?

The pro sub works just like PS Plus - they add new games monthly, all of which you retain access to for as long as you're a pro subscriber.

You can also buy games, like any normal store, and if you let you pro sub lapse, then you still retain access to those games. It's just the pro sub games you'd lose. The only risk is that Stadia goes away for some reason (*cough* Google) - then you'd lose access to games you'd bought.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Dr_Dave said:

The pro sub works just like PS Plus - they add new games monthly, all of which you retain access to for as long as you're a pro subscriber.

You can also buy games, like any normal store, and if you let you pro sub lapse, then you still retain access to those games. It's just the pro sub games you'd lose. The only risk is that Stadia goes away for some reason (*cough* Google) - then you'd lose access to games you'd bought.

Right, so one slight miss-understanding is that you get to keep access to the games you buy as long as you keep an active, free, stadia account and google don't can the service.

57 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Well it’s free isn’t it? I take it Destiny 2 is still part of the Pro sub, might be worth giving that a try. 

I’ll try myself if I can hook a PS4 or Xbox pad up to my laptop. 

Steamworld Quest is excellent too btw.

But as an ongoing service, the free version doesn't have any games included. If I get steamworld for free now, will stay in my account forever, even if I cancel my pro and go to free, or will it no longer be mine?

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

Am I missing anything?

You should have access to 3 or 4 games for free at least. 

19 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

But as an ongoing service, the free version doesn't have any games included. If I get steamworld for free now, will stay in my account forever, even if I cancel my pro and go to free, or will it no longer be mine?

If you BUY Steamworld from the store, it will stay yours for as long as Stadia exists.

If you CLAIM Steamworld for free as part of your pro subscription, it will stay yours for as long as you subscribe to pro.

If you cancel pro, and then resub later down the line, the games you claimed previously will return to you.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Right, so one slight miss-understanding is that you get to keep access to the games you buy as long as you keep an active, free, stadia account and google don't can the service.

Another slight misunderstand (if I'm reading you right): you don't choose ONE of the offered pro games per month, you claim them ALL. You basically get the two or three games as part of your pro sub each month.

1 minute ago, Dr_Dave said:

Another slight misunderstand (if I'm reading you right): you don't choose ONE of the offered pro games per month, you claim them ALL. You basically get the two or three games as part of your pro sub each month.

Really, that changes things, the articles I read this morning said one game a month. Did they mean one new game is added each month? So I can add all of the current pro sub games and play any of them while my sub is active? Cool, I guess i'll give destiny a try then as I've never bothered before due to the stupidly large downloads.

Just now, BeeJay said:

Really, that changes things, the articles I read this morning said one game a month. Did they mean one new game is added each month? So I can add all of the current pro sub games and play any of them while my sub is active? Cool, I guess i'll give destiny a try then as I've never bothered before due to the stupidly large downloads.

I think they originally intended it to be one game added per month, but every month so far has had at least two. Also, games tend to hang around for a few months, so new subscribers will always see 4 or 5 available to claim when they sign up. How many is there at the moment? 6 or something?