rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

Yes. That doesn't change the numbers on video bitrate much.

Not at the customer end, no. And yeah, Google has the infrastructure to cope with their end but it's going to need to be fucking incredible.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Sony especially will be panicking. This is the future, and their architecture is not up to scratch.

Sony bought up OnLive's patents a few years back. They might actually make money out of this.

Kind of crazy to think that filthy casuals can just fire up Cyberpunk 2077 now without having to spend 1700eu on the hardware to even run it. :angry:

(it's great though of course)

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

2 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

I'm sure some people really like the ideas presented here and I can see the appeal for the modern gamer, but I just think that both Microsoft and Sony have got this covered already, streaming and dedicated hardware to boot, and exclusive games people give a shit about.

I’m with you on the hardware and games and we know MS are working on some kind of streaming thing, but what are Sony doing in that area? I’m not doubting you, but I haven’t heard anything about them going in that direction. I’d be interested to read what their plans are.

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’m with you on the hardware and games and we know MS are working on some kind of streaming thing, but what are Sony doing in that area? I’m not doubting you, but I haven’t heard anything about them going in that direction. I’d be interested to read what their plans are.

PlayStation Now :unsure:

36 minutes ago, Flub said:

Also doesn't google have almost all the money in the world at this point. I doubt they're going into this half arsed.

Look at the new slate they produced, and their pixelbooks.

The Slate is rubbish and overpriced, the Pixel book are excellent but at that price I could get a decent laptop for their money. They haven't really succeeded in either fields despite having all that money.

1 minute ago, yakumo said:

The Slate is rubbish and overpriced, the Pixel book are excellent but at that price I could get a decent laptop for their money. They haven't really succeeded in either fields despite having all that money.

It doesn't really matter though, they're essentially throwaway products for a company like Google. This though, even just to get it off the ground would be a massive undertaking given the hardware required, premises, location etc. and then they'll have to scale it quickly and effectively to meet demand. I mean you have to be ready for the possibility that on day one 10 million people might be playing Apex Legends or whatever, and that's just one game.

Some of the points are fair but he’s not exactly a reasonable commentator is he. Have you tried Rainway yet?

Sony standing on stage and saying they love paid online services like MS so are duplicating it. Apple acknowledging that Retina display is a fancy branding for something a few phones already had. Game develops sells running around shooting others or racing cars as brand new never before seen definitely not rehashed concept.

Man who makes streaming services throws sticks at large company taking a shit in his yard. Also, go Rainway! Whatever the fuck that is.

6 minutes ago, JPickford said:

As much as I'm not particularly interested in replacing my console with a streaming service and agree with the usual "latency is the problem" crowd, that reads like an "old man yells at cloud" thread.

His comment of "We are then presented with this controller. Glossing over its physically uncomfortable design, the fact it only works over WiFi and doesn't connect to the device you're playing on is asking for higher input latency/dropped inputs." is completely wrong isn't it? Technically, you're playing it on Google's server, so a direct connection is better.

• Upvote 1

Problem with Rainway, is I still need a decent PC at home, to play any games. That is not what I'd want from a streaming solution. 

Shadow was awesome when I tried it, just too expensive to run right now. GeForce Now looks like the best solution so far, but not on the beta for it myself. 

He makes some good points I think. All the other services are extensions of something that already exists, they're complimentary and offer choice. Stadia aims to do away with that, or at least that's how it appears. 

I've never heard of Rainway. If those are high quality thoughts of its CEO, I'll probably give Rainway a pass. He has either misunderstood or is misrepresenting several of the items.

• Upvote 1

No matter how good it is in principle, in practice streaming doesn't have the cachet of playing on a "real" system, so selling it to "real gamers" will be interesting. (They are in for a rude awakening if they think that years of Youtube monopoly translate in to any sort of brand loyalty at all.) Yet the kind of content and feature-set they're offering doesn't really have strong appeal to non-gamers. (Who is likely to migrate from smartphone games to Ubisoft's latest dual-stick compilation of established gaming conventions?)

This should be very interesting.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, yakumo said:

Yeah, that's true. Their hardware business has suffered from lack of focus and commitment. So, fairly obviously, have their efforts in social media and chat/messaging apps.

Time will tell with this, obviously. But shipping a controller is a lot different (and obviously cheaper) than a Slate or Pixelbook. It's more in line with Chromecasts and Homes, and they do pretty well.

I dunno. I feel like I'm posting like a huge advocate for this. I'm not, really. I'm sceptical that they can overcome the latency in the real world. I'm sceptical they can maintain consistent video quality.

But I do find it intriguing that it seems well thought-out technologically, and in some of the ways they're trying to do new things.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

This thing here 

https://broadbandtest.which.co.uk

Tells me my latency is 20ms. That's the important bit, right? That doesn't seem much more than a tv would add. 

Well, your real latency would be your TV latency, plus that latency, plus whatever latency is added by the compression algorithms on their end, plus whatever latency is added by the decompression algorithms on your end. The first two are out of their hands. I imagine that Google are working on optimising the compression side. I doubt the hardware in the Chromecast is optimised for very-low-latency decompression as it's commodity stuff but future devices will presumably have all kinds of clever improvements.

Also you have to contend with the game's built-in controller latency. It always seemed a bit unreasonable to count this as it's constant, but some developers are very obviously getting away with what's just barely acceptable and their games could go from "not exactly crisp" to "noticeably sluggish".

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Google's own figures put latency at 166ms.

OK, this is what I get for PS4 remote play, on Wifi, under good conditions in my house. And for games that don't depend on very fast reactions - I've played Dishonored and Elite this way - it's remarkably agreeable. But it's not going to replace firing up the TV if it's a moment in the game I want to give 100% of my attention to.

Edit- Wait, this is a lie, I looked up my numbers on this and it's 40 ms that PS4 Remote Play is adding, 166ms might be a bit more noticable. :lol: 

Just now, Alex W. said:

OK, this is what I get for PS4 remote play, on Wifi, under good conditions in my house. And for games that don't depend on very fast reactions - I've played Dishonored and Elite this way - it's remarkably agreeable. But it's not going to replace firing up the TV if it's a moment in the game I want to give 100% of my attention to.

Yeah it's pretty good, but that's also under optimal conditions, it falls lower from the data they provide. 

At the moment though I think all this is academic. We need to know about what content will be available, pricing, subscriptions and so on. 

For a platform holder they'll need exclusives like Naughty Dog productions, Halo, Forza, Mario etc. Otherwise what's the point? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Bet google are reading rllmuk right now and feeling pretty stupid about not thinking of all this stuff

I know what you mean, but this is the company that made a compelling case that there was a market for Google+. You can make careful, reasoned decisions backed by cutting edge technology, being careful to not be swayed by people's foolish preconceptions, and still deliver a product nobody actually wants.

Youtube influencers as goodwill ambassadors strikes me as potentially very risky given how quickly perceptions can be set in stone there.

• Upvote 1