rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia

28 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Stadia doesn’t actually cost anything though, it’s just this starter pack thing you have to pay for. I’m sure many more will try it when the free version comes in next year. 

Well, we do live in an age where Apple Arcade gives you a massive amount of games for just 4,99 a month and Game Pass gives you a bazillion more games even for just 1 quid for three years (or 10 dollars per month whenever Microsoft decides to pull the plug on that deal). Compared to that, having to pay full price for each game just to be able to stream that one game, and with every single one of those games also available on other platforms - or even on the aforementioned Netflix-like services for 'free' - Google Stadia could come across as a bad deal if one were to compare dem apples in one's mind.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Well, we do live in an age where Apple Arcade gives you a massive amount of games for just 4,99 a month and Game Pass gives you a bazillion more games even for just 1 quid for three years (or 10 dollars per month whenever Microsoft decides to pull the plug on that deal). Compared to that, having to pay full price for each game just to be able to stream it and with every single one of those games also available on other platforms - or even on the aforementioned Netflix-like services - Google Stadia could come across as a bad deal if you compare dem apples.

I agree totally and there are loads of other reasons I’m put off stadia, but for games that aren’t on subscription services - the big hitters like COD, Assassin’s Creed, Red Dead, Cyber Punk, etc. I could see some people being tempted, particularly if they don’t already have the latest console or PC. So I think it will be interesting next gen to see what happens - you know, do I spend £400 plus £50 to play the latest game I want or save myself some money and go for it on stadia instead. Obviously it’s not as black and white as that but I guess that’s how they’re going to market it.

Hasn't Stadia already sold out for the November launch? I seem to remember seeing something like that. 

And I think they haven't even announced the launch date yet, just a general "November" window so presumably there's another slug of launch announcements still in the pipe.

53 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Control, Borderlands?

Zelda as well. Not that it’d ever appear on anything other than a Nintendo platform.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Zelda as well. Not that it’d ever appear on anything other than a Nintendo platform.

Officially, no, but in reality you can play all dem with far better performance and at far higher res on PC. Of course, that's only relevant for the kind of hobbyists who frequent forums like this one.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Officially, no, but in reality you can play all dem with far better performance and at far higher res on PC. Of course, that's only relevant for the kind of hobbyists who frequent forums like this one.

Well, I meant the stuttering on Link’s Awakening. You can’t play that on PC yet, can you?

8 minutes ago, JPL said:

Well, I meant the stuttering on Link’s Awakening. You can’t play that on PC yet, can you?

I have no idea to be honest, I don't keep up nowadays :lol: But if it there isn't a playable emulator yet, there will be at some point I'm sure.

On-topic: the points raised above make me wonder whether the kind of gamer who just plays one or two games all throughout an entire year - usually the likes of CoD, FIFA, or AC - will find it appealing to simply use a Chromecast at a much lower cost than a PS5 for example. 

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Well, it already has.

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Control, Borderlands?

Haven’t played them but are they really unacceptable to the point people won’t put up with them? On the whole console games are fine for most people.

Did he claim people won't put up with them? It's an undeniable fact that those games perform less than ideally on consoles, and it's increasingly true in general of console releases (particularly ones also on PC) as time goes by. Inevitably, because we know the console spec is static and the PC spec evolves.

That is a selling point in Stadia's favour, for sure, as is the promise of a fixed server-side latency for multiplayer games.

Whether those things can offset the technical challenges of streaming, or the business model of selling full price games, or Google's inconsistent approach to product support, we'll have to wait and see. But it seems silly to pretend performance issues don't exist on console, particularly at the end of the generation (and often at the start.)

Not putting up with them is what unacceptable means, unacceptable to whom exactly? Personally I don’t have a problem with most console games on Xbox One X and Switch, haven’t played my PS4 in a while. 

I mean we can all point at games that don’t perform well but most games run fine for most people. 

• Upvote 1

The hype machine is clearly starting to move into gear at Google, a balanced article from Wired UK about it. Probably be more of this type of thing over the next month as we get closer to seeing it enter real-world deployment:

Ultimately, the vision Stadia is trying to sell to developers and gamers is a kind of real-world Ready Player One – a multiverse of games linked by the cloud that players can move freely between, possibly even using the same avatar across game worlds. With streaming becoming the default way to consume entertainment – from music to video and now gaming – does this herald the end of the games console?

Sony is clearly worried. In February 2019, Sony’s chief financial officer, Hiroki Totoki, said that cloud gaming and video game streaming services could threaten PlayStation, damage if not destroy console sales and require a major investment in servers and infrastructure management – an area where Sony lags behind its rivals.

Microsoft is preparing to launch its own streaming service, xCloud, with public trials in October 2019, and Amazon is rumoured to be considering a rival service. In a move widely seen as defensive, console rivals Microsoft and Sony unveiled a partnership in May 2019, with plans to collaborate on cloud-based gaming.

“Historically, gaming was defined by the device you were playing on,” says Kareem Choudhry, vice president of cloud gaming at Xbox and the man looking to stymie Stadia’s ambitions. “Music and video started that way – now you listen and watch wherever you want. Now its gaming’s time. In mobile, music drove 3G, video drove 4G – and gaming will drive 5G.”

Raymond is creating a publishing team to work with external developers to make exclusive content for Stadia, while also building Stadia’s own internal game studio. Her move to the company in March was widely seen as a boost to Google’s gaming credentials.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/google-stadia

The Negative Latency thing sounds like absolute bullshit to me, like the worst kind of smoke and mirrors flannel. The faster than local hardware thing? Dunno. Speeds have has leaped ahead from what they were even 5 years ago. I'm not tech savvy enough to dispute it tbh.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Popo said:

Unless it leverages the computational power of data centres?

Couldn’t the local hardware do that also in addition to removing the lag between data centre and TV entirely- therefore passing even more milliseconds on to the user? 

19 minutes ago, Popo said:

Unless it leverages the computational power of data centres?

So the thing that is designed to combat a latency issue somehow bypasses that latency issue?

17 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

...And in just five years, we here at Google predict you won't have to hold the controller at all. NegativeLatencyPlus© will predict all of your movements, and will play the game for you whilst you can enjoy that important family time.

• Upvote 5

On 26/09/2019 at 22:35, Stanley said:

Haven’t played them but are they really unacceptable to the point people won’t put up with them? On the whole console games are fine for most people.

I mean those games hit 15fps in parts, you'd have a hard time calling Stadia being locked at 60fps with a few milliseconds of latency "unacceptable for most people" but consoles creaking and grunting in the low double digits "acceptable for most people".

7 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I mean those games hit 15fps in parts, you'd have a hard time calling Stadia being locked at 60fps with a few milliseconds of latency "unacceptable for most people" but consoles creaking and grunting in the low double digits "acceptable for most people".

It the least concern of most customers. PS4’s are still flying off the shelves. 

Streaming has existed for the last ten years, I mean you can even stream PlayStation games right now, no pun intended, and it’s a lot cheaper than Stadia.