rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia

1 hour ago, JPL said:

How come, is it better?

Yeah, you it feels much more fluid and responsive under 60 fps. Hard to go back once you've experienced it. Reducedloading times is nice too.

28 minutes ago, Hass said:

I forgot to say, I've got a buddy pass code for anyone that wants to try this. Just PM me - first come, first served!

Gone!

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I asked whether cost was also a factor, and it was - the idea of not having to buy a console really appealed.

But it’s £119, right? Which is more than an Xbox One S All-Digital edition.

Unless you can buy the controller itself for cheaper, if you already have a Chromecast?

8 minutes ago, Paulando said:

But it’s £119, right? Which is more than an Xbox One S All-Digital edition.

Unless you can buy the controller itself for cheaper, if you already have a Chromecast?

I explained that, but still. At the end of the day I'm not invested in doing pr for Microsoft - even though he cited cost as a factor, it seemed like "gaming without buying hardware" (apart from a controller obviously) was what interested him most. Maybe like, getting to play a game without getting into gaming? I explained the pros and cons, in the end he still liked the concept of Stadia. Which is fair enough, and it makes me think maybe Stadia has a shot if they market it right to people like him. 

12 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

it seemed like "gaming without buying hardware" (apart from a controller obviously)

No hardware except a controller and a £70 piece of hardware.

I picked up a Premium Edition, after being sufficiently intrigued by the technology from a buddy pass. Got to say, I've found it very hit and miss when playing on wifi in Chrome on a laptop, but played on the CC Ultra with a wired connection is a completely different world. As in, it's pretty much indistinguishable from a PS4. I just played Tomb Raider for two hours and didn't notice a single glitch. Playing the same on laptop over wifi, I tend to notice a drop or glitch every few minutes, and that's on pretty decent wifi - nothing to completely ruin the experience, but definitely noticable.

The controller is really nice as well.

Hmm. At 8:40 the guy in the green hoody states that the visuals are better on 'Console X' but then chooses Stadia because "it's more comfortable to hold". Surely a blind test would require the same controller to be hooked up to each? It seems to me that the ones that chose 'Console X' knew which device they were playing on due to the controller. Also some decisions were made based on the one on the right looking more colourful? Were the monitors set up identically?

Conclusion: Load of bollocks.

• Upvote 6

Rise of the Tomb Raider is now 'free' with Pro.  Spent a couple of hours playing through the first few sections last night.  I still hate the silly quick time events, but it's a pretty good game and plays really well through the Chromecast on my tv.  Definitely feels 60fps-ish and nice and crisp, even through the snowy and sandy bits which I'd expect to stress the compression codec a bit.  Basically, I think Stadia is perfect for these 3rd person games where latency is kind of built in to the game to the point where it starts to not matter.  Thumbs up.

(I gave Thumper - January's other 'free' game - about 30 seconds before accepting that it's just not a game for me...)

Oh, Google Assistant works through the controller now.  I'm not really sure what the point is...

And achievements are live. which might be important to some people, I guess :) 

So two games that were full price last month at launch are now fee? I’d be pissed if I spent £50 or whatever on Rise. Not that I’d ever buy anything on Stadia :lol:

Apparently the only way to get a Stadia username without a bunch of numbers at the end is to have pre-ordered the founders edition. Which seems silly. 

It seems odd that the numbers aren't hidden behind the scenes. I understand that the numbers are to uniquely identify people with the same name but why can I still see them when there's only one person with that name in my game?

53 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Announcing nothing as a reminder that they still exist. 

Still no roadmap for other devices, either. 

It says that other Android phones are rolling out in Q1.

Just now, Hass said:

It says that other Android phones are rolling out in Q1.

And when is it coming to devices you can actually play games on?

Yeah, they really screwed the pooch. I got gifted one of those three month subs by someone foolish enough to pay for the launch pack and am currently house sitting at my sister's. Perfect Stadia situation but there's no app for the smart TV, no app for the Fire TV stick and my phone isn't supported so I've just been playing on my Switch. Which is a console but get this, I can take it with me and play games wherever I am.

Who knew Nintendo would be better at this gaming lark than Google?

9 hours ago, bobontheway said:

It seems odd that the numbers aren't hidden behind the scenes. I understand that the numbers are to uniquely identify people with the same name but why can I still see them when there's only one person with that name in my game?

I think that was entirely to give founders something 'special'

If this is going to work it needs to work on everything they can connect to a screen, I get that they probably want to sell Chromecasts but they'd get much more traction if you could get it on a fire stick or smart tv as someone says above. Even if resolution has to be scaled to the device. 

Then it would be £60 for a controller, which is fair enough. 

Still seems like an odd design choice. In the long run, if all goes to plan, there'd be far more non-founders than founders. Making the experience odd for the majority of customers so that a few early adopters can feel special seems really short sighted.

Google seems like the sort of company that’s more excited about developing and launching new products than keeping them running as an ongoing concern. They’ve had an average of one new chat/collaboration platform a year or something, right? Who cares about year ten when you’re focused on can making year one more exciting?

Not that for a second I’m suggesting Google will throw in the towel on this only to launch something technologically similar but superficially different a couple of years later.

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Not that for a second I’m suggesting Google will throw in the towel on this only to launch something technologically similar but superficially different a couple of years later.

And definitely don't suggest that your Stadia purchases won't carry over to the new thing.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

And when is it coming to devices you can actually play games on?

I'm lost - what devices are you talking about?