rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia

Just now, Haribokart said:

He’s winding you up Stanley, he’s totally a farmer.

Farmer is a slur.

If you’re not a farmer I’ll be really upset, you wouldn’t want that now would you? I mean I’ll accept that you’re not obviously but there will always be a part of me that wishes it were true :(

3 hours ago, deKay said:

No.

Hmm. I've not used Chrome myself much but I've heard a few performance issues raised specific to Macs plus also older hardware which relies on software deciding (most machines made since say 2010 have hardware video decoders on the chip which Chrome will take advantage of).

24 minutes ago, Hass said:

Hmm. I've not used Chrome myself much but I've heard a few performance issues raised specific to Macs plus also older hardware which relies on software deciding (most machines made since say 2010 have hardware video decoders on the chip which Chrome will take advantage of).

I've tried a PC and a Mac, both with hardware acceleration on and off.

On 17/01/2020 at 14:06, fretnoise said:

You have to own (or be prepared to buy) the game though.  Oh well - horses for courses :)

That seems crazy to me.

The most unique thing about this product was the potential ability to be watching a video of game, and think, "wow, I'd like to play that", and with a push of a button you can be playing it.  

If that only happens if you've already bought the game, then that throws away the best feature of the product.  The thing that no other console can do.

If you don't own the game, you'll see a YouTube video, think it looks ace, press a button and it takes you to a store page?  You can do that now.

Drowning tractors and trucks:

Yes, uploading to the youtoobs will have added pixelation and blur, but look at that popup at 5:10.

EDIT: Two 30+ second loading bits at the start and at 1:05 too.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, deKay said:

Yes, uploading to the youtoobs will have added pixelation and blur, but look at that popup at 5:10.

Agreed - it's by far the worst game I've tried.  Destiny and the Tomb Raiders are great.  Thumper and Samurai Wotsit seem ok but aren't my kind of game.  Grid is just a tiny bit too input laggy (but looks lovely).

Stuff about Destiny

I’ve been giving this a little go thanks to Hass’s kind offer of a three-month buddy pass (thanks, Hass). I only really wanted to do an a/b comparison against console Destiny, as I know the look and feel of that game like the back of my hand and thought it’d make a decent test.

I wish I could come to the conclusion Hass has about D2, but on my experience so far, I'm afraid I can’t. I’m playing on a MacBook Pro using a DualShock (and, despite what I read on the last page, I’m using it wirelessly over Bluetooth without issue). The computer’s not got an Ethernet port and I’m not buying an adaptor just for the Stadia test, so wifi it is. The Stadia speed test page reports a d/l speed of just over 57Mbps, although I reckon that’s an overestimate by Google and it’s nearer 50. Still, I should get ‘a high performance gaming experience’, it says. I’m also only playing, through Chrome, in 1080p. On a 1080p external monitor. (I tried it on the MBP’s screen but - perhaps due to the very high res and its scaling - it performed quite poorly. So I figured a 1080p native external panel would work better with the browser, and it seems to do just that.)

I started out with the default settings on the Stadia app, which specified best visual quality, so up to 4k resolution. And I got a lot of stuttering and artefacting. The game also seemed a little blurry, even in menus, which surprised me. So I changed that to ‘Balanced’ (which apparently gives up to 1080p and reduces bandwidth). I’m not sure if it’s placebo or some other factors at work - I didn’t play at ‘Best’ for long - but there seemed to be less artefacting, less stuttering, and the game looked a little sharper, when I told it to just send 1080p down the line.

But framerate issues are still noticeable. I’ve only played PvE stuff, but there are times - infrequently - where the picture (and sound) would glitch-freeze for about half a second or longer. When it was running ok there are still noticeable frame drops very often. It’s definitely not a smooth 60fps here due to those dropped frames, and you really do feel it.

Like I say, someone might call out my wifi as an issue. That may be, given the nature of Stadia, but it’s not an issue with anything else I play online, including console. And that's a problem I guess, for a lot of people.

The good bits so far are:

• The loading in D2 seems at least equivalent to PC loading times. Really fast compared to the increasingly horrendous performance on console. The improvement is especially welcome in menus and I’d agree with Hass that going back to current console performance will be a massive pain, on account of the menus alone.
  • *When* it hits around 60fps it’s great. But, for me at least, that feeling’s ruined by the quite obviously dropped frames. The audio stutters too, and if there’s dialogue and you get one of those infrequent big blips of over half a second you do actually miss a syllable or two of speech, it’s that bad sometimes. But even when it’s not, I can feel the inconsistency. And I do not like it. I’d rather have a stable 30fps.
  • THE FUCKING CLAN ROSTER WORKS ON STADIA. Whodathunk it? This signals to me that the thing got busted on PS4 when Sony introduced the PSN name change thing. Cos the ability to change your PSN name came out in April, which is about when the clan got borked. So I’m just going to delete everyone from the clan starting with the April arrivals and see if that fixes it.

Sorry about that last one, which is quite irrelevant to most people but still makes it a pisser for me going back from Stadia to PS4. But the rest of it… well, there’s some good stuff there, and it’s almost a miracle it works this well, and it feels amazing to me that you can just go ‘I’ll have that game’ and something as big and complex as D2 is just there for you without you having to download jack shit. And that it loads so much faster than on console.

But those frequent little framerate stutters do it in for me. Since going 1080p only on a native 1080p monitor I’m not finding it blurry and there’s virtually no pixellation, and as stated the load times are great - but that lack of rock-solid framerate hurts this a lot, the big stutters especially when they happen.

I’ll keep giving it a go just to see if these are transient conditions and might improve. But I’m not sure for how long, because my other big problem was this: I’m not too sure about the player population. I tried a Sundial run four times, and failed to get six people matchmade for any of the four attempts I made. In two of those attempts there were only two of us matched, and just gave up. And the two (barely) completed ones we had four or five at most. So I have a different experience from Hass when it comes to player population and matchmaking, too.

I’d give Iron Banner a go tonight to see how PvP holds up, but I don’t really feel like getting matched up with MnK players. Especially if people are having genuinely difference performance/framerate experiences to me. And, presumably, better ones. Might have a dig at a Nightfall instead and see how player population and performance affect something *slightly* challenging.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Gorf King said:

Stuff about Destiny

• *When* it hits around 60fps it’s great. But, for me at least, that feeling’s ruined by the quite obviously dropped frames. The audio stutters too, and if there’s dialogue and you get one of those infrequent big blips of over half a second you do actually miss a syllable or two of speech, it’s that bad sometimes. But even when it’s not, I can feel the inconsistency. And I do not like it. I’d rather have a stable 30fps.

That's possibly a by product of the PC version not running at a stable 60fps on a 60hz display. In order to get it to run smoothly you have to unlock frames and use a high refresh display. The audio problems probably are related to your connection, mind.

Not sure which version you get a stable 30fps from - the PS4 version shits the bed at similar points, it's a less noticable drop from 60, but it's definitely a thing. I've been told the last raid is an absolute slideshow at points too.

You may be pleasantly surprised by PvP on a pad against M&K players, btw. The aim assist is pretty strong.

On 20/01/2020 at 17:39, Hass said:

I've just been given 5 free 3 month buddy passes through work. Just PM if anyone fancies one.

All gone now folks!

• Upvote 1

@Gorf King you said it yourself but I think the bulk of what you're experiencing is steaming blips due to WiFi latency. You gotta remember that 60fps is a frame every ~16ms so you're likely going to struggle on WiFi given that mean latency is typically ~10ms to the AP alone but will spike above 100ms whenever someone disturbs the force (Ethernet is less than 1ms and rock solid). It really is solid over Chromecast and Ethernet in my experience but I understand that Ethernet isn't possible for everyone. I personally can't play PvP games over wifi because the negative consequences of client side hit detection are so annoying. Something like pubg is a particular mess here with people being shot round corners and stuff. 

The interesting thing here is that its a trade, Stadia is likely the better hardwired experience for comp but Wi-Fi will always be WiFi so client side machines can smooth out the irregularities much better.

I think I might be curious enough to get an adapter, so I'll find out if that really is the difference. But if it is, it doesn't really bode well for the 'play anywhere without hardware' appeal of the service, does it? Play anywhere, on anything, as long as you're tethered by an ethernet cable to a high-speed internet connection. I mean, Google themselves - over my wifi connection - say I'll have a 'high performance gaming experience' when I do their connection test. And I'd love to say that's true, but it really, really isn't.

Just had a couple of games of Banner, and... nah. Maybe I'll try again when that adapter arrives. I'm not about to give up on it, so that 3-month pass won't be wasted, but I have a far smoother experience on PS4 even with the (despite the usual Lyrical contrariness) almost always stable 30 frames. Except in menus and shit, which is now dire on console, and whose performance in Stadia I'll genuinely miss, because it really does annoy on console. But when it comes to Crucible, console feels more reliable and the game more readable - even with the sometimes lag from peer-to-peer and bad connections. Like you say, maybe the client-side stuff smooths out the irregularities better. And the marvels of controller aim assist aside, you sure as shit can tell when you're playing MnK players. If you can't, I have to assume you're not really paying attention, or are out for an evening troll.

• Empathy 1

My limited experience with xCloud was also that it was largely let down by my WiFi. Which sort of ruins the whole thing for me. There's no way I'm going back to having anything in my house hardwired to my router.

I was being genuine, based on feedback from people who moved to PC from console, continued to use a controller and do well in PvP (it took more than a couple of games for them to adjust to FPS/FOV, mind). 

Anyway - I'll stop derailing the thread with my obviously contrarian nonsense now.

51 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

My limited experience with xCloud was also that it was largely let down by my WiFi. Which sort of ruins the whole thing for me. There's no way I'm going back to having anything in my house hardwired to my router.

Indeed, if the future of everyone streaming their games is only going to work wired it's dead on arrival.

1 hour ago, Lyrical Donut said:

I was being genuine, based on feedback from people who moved to PC from console, continued to use a controller and do well in PvP (it took more than a couple of games for them to adjust to FPS/FOV, mind). 

Anyway - I'll stop derailing the thread with my obviously contrarian nonsense now.

Yeah, the contrariness was about the console framerate, but you know that anyway cos it's explained in the sentence lol. 

The issue with playing Stadia is that it's a 'play anywhere' service, but in my admittedly limited experience - though not as limited as some - it doesn't really work on WiFi. Which is a contradiction that I don't think you can resolve really, even if it works great if/when I plug it into Ethernet. I'll still be interested to see how it performs there though.

Thanks to @Hass I've been able to play Thumper on Stadia, one of the 'free' games.

:o

Why have I not played this before?!

As was my experience on the beta, it was 90% excellent, 10% dropped frames and audio glitches. I'm on Wi-fi and not a wired connection, so that might be a contributing factor.

The website and app experience is actually pretty good, albeit bare bones.

I think the main problem is that because it's so reliant on your network, you don't know how well it's going to work until you've tried it. They really should have launched with the 'free' option available so people can give it a go. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Gorf King said:

I think I might be curious enough to get an adapter, so I'll find out if that really is the difference. But if it is, it doesn't really bode well for the 'play anywhere without hardware' appeal of the service, does it? Play anywhere, on anything, as long as you're tethered by an ethernet cable to a high-speed internet connection. I mean, Google themselves - over my wifi connection - say I'll have a 'high performance gaming experience' when I do their connection test. And I'd love to say that's true, but it really, really isn't.

Just had a couple of games of Banner, and... nah. Maybe I'll try again when that adapter arrives. I'm not about to give up on it, so that 3-month pass won't be wasted, but I have a far smoother experience on PS4 even with the (despite the usual Lyrical contrariness) almost always stable 30 frames. Except in menus and shit, which is now dire on console, and whose performance in Stadia I'll genuinely miss, because it really does annoy on console. But when it comes to Crucible, console feels more reliable and the game more readable - even with the sometimes lag from peer-to-peer and bad connections. Like you say, maybe the client-side stuff smooths out the irregularities better. And the marvels of controller aim assist aside, you sure as shit can tell when you're playing MnK players. If you can't, I have to assume you're not really paying attention, or are out for an evening troll.

My feeling is that for non-twitch games, WiFi is fine. I'd happily play RDR2 over WiFi for example. But for twitch games it needs Ethernet to give the right experience but I kinda feel like that's the case for me today anyway (albeit I only play comp).

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

Indeed, if the future of everyone streaming their games is only going to work wired it's dead on arrival.

I had some minor niggles with my internet connection a few months back, and phoned my ISP (Sky), who said my router is quite old, and perhaps it was that, so they'll send me another one.  Sky are one of these ISPs (which I suspect are pretty common in the UK) where they provide the router, and you have to use the router they've provided, or at least it's quite difficult to get out of using it.  Anyway, they sent me a shiny new router, I opened it and it only has 2 ethernet ports on it.  The current one I'm using, that they provided years ago, has 4 ethernet ports, all in use.  I just put the new one back in it's box and stuck it on a shelf.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

I had some minor niggles with my internet connection a few months back, and phoned my ISP (Sky), who said my router is quite old, and perhaps it was that, so they'll send me another one.  Sky are one of these ISPs (which I suspect are pretty common in the UK) where they provide the router, and you have to use the router they've provided, or at least it's quite difficult to get out of using it.  Anyway, they sent me a shiny new router, I opened it and it only has 2 ethernet ports on it.  The current one I'm using, that they provided years ago, has 4 ethernet ports, all in use.  I just put the new one back in it's box and stuck it on a shelf.

The old one only has 100mbps ethernet ports, the Q Hub they sent you has 2 gig/e ports, but the Sky Hub 4 has 4 gig/e ports, you could try giving them a call and asking for the new hub with 4 ports, it's a chargeable upgrade afaik.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

The old one only has 100mbps ethernet ports, the Q Hub they sent you has 2 gig/e ports, but the Sky Hub 4 has 4 gig/e ports, you could try giving them a call and asking for the new hub with 4 ports, it's a chargeable upgrade afaik.

Cheers.  Good to know there's a better one available.

11 hours ago, Gorf King said:

Yeah, the contrariness was about the console framerate, but you know that anyway cos it's explained in the sentence lol. 

The issue with playing Stadia is that it's a 'play anywhere' service, but in my admittedly limited experience - though not as limited as some - it doesn't really work on WiFi. Which is a contradiction that I don't think you can resolve really, even if it works great if/when I plug it into Ethernet. I'll still be interested to see how it performs there though.

Before you shell out on an adapter I can give it a go on my Macbook over ethernet and see if I get a steady 1080@60; I've only really used Chromecast and the Stadia controller extensively. 

I'll give that a go tonight.