Astro Bot - PSVR - best game of all time?

dumpster

5 hours ago, Paulando said:

They gave a 10 to Little Big Planet, and that was shite.

How could I forget?!

I think the problem with VR is that we're still waiting for an affordable wireless headset, running at 120Hz with a higher resolution and less weight. Maybe have a small console in its own backpack to get around latency, but at what price.

I've seen games that tempt me, but the PSVR tech's really off-putting.

2 hours ago, Escaped said:

How could I forget?!

I think the problem with VR is that we're still waiting for an affordable wireless headset, running at 120Hz with a higher resolution and less weight. Maybe have a small console in its own backpack to get around latency, but at what price.

I've seen games that tempt me, but the PSVR tech's really off-putting.

True, but it’s a bit like holding out on getting a smartphone in 2007 because you’re waiting for one that’s 7mm thin with no bezels and a high resolution OLED screen and 4G.

The PS VR v2 hardware is the one I have: it has one cable going to it, and the headphones are built-in. It’s really good, and ridiculously cheap at the moment (I’ve seen bundles with PS Move controllers and a game for £230ish). Give it a go :)

12 hours ago, Rudderless said:

I wish the OP would change the title. This is a great game, and silly, facile comparisons do it a disservice. 

ResetEra’s OT title is ‘VR’s Astro Bot moment’.

IGN’s review doesn’t mention Mario either.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/10/05/astro-bot-rescue-mission-review

It’s hard to overstate how incredibly different and exciting Astro Bot Rescue Mission’s new perspective is for the platform genre.

Just to add to the love... 

Genuinely amazing to play and experience. Playing a platformer that is all around you is incredible. I think someone already said it, but I honestly haven't experienced this level of impact since I first played Mario on the N64!

1 hour ago, BubbleFish said:

Just to add to the love... 

Genuinely amazing to play and experience. Playing a platformer that is all around you is incredible. I think someone already said it, but I honestly haven't experienced this level of impact since I first played Mario on the N64!

Can we change the thread title back please? :P

Well, this is just lovely. Good old Argos. 

Finished world 1 and loved it all. Need to go back and clean up those missing... whatever they are. Robot things. Yeah. 

Doesn't seem to do anything more more than the demo so far, but looking forward to being pleasantly surprised by the next world(s). 

45 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Well, this is just lovely. Good old Argos. 

Finished world 1 and loved it all. Need to go back and clean up those missing... whatever they are. Robot things. Yeah. 

Doesn't seem to do anything more more than the demo so far, but looking forward to being pleasantly surprised by the next world(s). 

There's a demo?

My only criticism of the game would be it’s a little too easy*, however 4-2 has ramped  up the platforming. While the whole thing seems like a love letter to Mario that level feels almost ripped out of a Mario game.

*Caveat that I have only tried a couple of the challenge levels.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Caved and bought this today after the stellar comments here. Will give it a go later. :)

3 hours ago, Scruff said:

Hah, me too. Although I got mine 'for the kids'.

Honest!

And me, should arrive via Prime tomorrow, better be good ;)

4 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

My only criticism of the game would be it’s a little too easy*, however 4-2 has ramped  up the platforming. While the whole thing seems like a love letter to Mario that level feels almost ripped out of a Mario game.

*Caveat that I have only tried a couple of the challenge levels.

The Challenge levels definitely step up the difficulty.. and offer some mighty fine platforming in the process.