Astro Bot - PSVR - best game of all time?

dumpster

48 minutes ago, Danster said:

Ahhhhh, go on then. Ordered from Argos pick it up tomorrow. I always said the demo level was amazing, more of the same sounds great.

It’s way beyond more of the same. Some of the levels are pure genious.

Just finished another session. Up to world 3, but I’ve gone back and rinsed 1 and 2 again to try and slow my progress to make it last. 

This is so good. 

Also spent ages in the in the new playroom bit, spending thousands of coins on the grabber thing. So, so good. 

Yep, this is wonderful. Taking my time with it. If this was Mario with all the same levels, people would be losing their shit. I'm not saying it's a Mario beater yet, but it's already right up there with it for sheer fun and wonder. :D

56 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Also spent ages in the in the new playroom bit, spending thousands of coins on the grabber thing. So, so good. 

The playroom is lovely and getting the little capsules to fill out the themes is a great idea. To me it shows the love and attention that has been put into the game. There isn’t necessarily any point to the playroom but it’s just a joy to bring up snd theme and run astro bot round it. It’s wonderful how it’s so minature compared to the giant scale of some of the levels.

18 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Can you move the camera other than moving yourself? 

Nope and in doing so it kind of forces you to be aware of your 360 degree space by looking around. 

It works really well in terms of hiding away little secrets, and having to look around corners/objects etc.

50 minutes ago, U-1 said:

Nope and in doing so it kind of forces you to be aware of your 360 degree space by looking around. 

It works really well in terms of hiding away little secrets, and having to look around corners/objects etc.

Kinda uncomfortable sat on a sofa with my neck locked up a bit.  Are people playing it standing?

Just now, Paulando said:

Have you tried holding Options to reset the view to your level?

The level is fine, it’s just turning my head a lot. There’s a bit at the beginning of level 2 where you all but have to look right behind you to get stuff.

10 hours ago, U-1 said:

I nearly fell off my seat when I went to lean on one of the steel girders in 1-2 to have a look round the corner :P

13 minutes ago, Paulando said:

If this wasn't in VR it would be a 7/10 platformer. It's fairly basic. The character movements are nice enough, but judged solely on its platforming prowess it's no Mario.

Yep, I watched on the TV as my partner played it a couple of days ago, and viewed in 2D it loses 99% of what makes it amazing. As I've said before, imagine how monumental a 10/10 platformer would be in VR! However, I played a couple of levels before work today again and it's such a memorable experience with the headset. 

Spot on. I think it's probably more impactful if you've not played a lot of VR games, but even if you have, it has lots of special little touches that elevate it above the rest. 

Between this and The Persistence (and I liked Transference, though I know that was divisive) and with Tetris Effect on the way, it's been a very decent few months for VR.