Astro Bot - PSVR - best game of all time?

dumpster

57 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

Spot on. I think it's probably more impactful if you've not played a lot of VR games, but even if you have, it has lots of special little touches that elevate it above the rest. 

Between this and The Persistence (and I liked Transference, though I know that was divisive) and with Tetris Effect on the way, it's been a very decent few months for VR.  

Tetris Effect looks ace. I love, love, love Tetris - pumped so many hours into Tetris DX - so I'm looking forward to that one.

I do fancy trying The Persistence too, although I'm not too good with the scary ones. Even Condemned on the 360 was a little too much for me, and I lasted about 10 minutes with RE7 VR :lol:

Not keen on the on-rails shooters, or the wave shooters. They just reek of 'yeah, we couldn't work out how you should move in VR so we didn't bother lol'. Also anything with transporting.

Haven't played it myself yet, but watching my daughter play it was amazing. She was giggling like a loon and, as I was trying to get on with boring stuff, she kept interrupting with cackles of laughter and Daddy Daddy look at this!!

Now they are back at their mum's i'll have a little play myself later :)

Yeah, it is incredibly accessible for everyone, which is great. Everyone's played a platformer before, there's nothing difficult to work out. There's no dialogue and nothing to read.

I let my mate have a go of Superhot VR the other week, and it was a bit hard for him with the Move triggers and the throwing (I didn't start it from the beginning, to be fair), then he had a go of Job Simulator and the calibration was off, putting him inside the floor, and we couldn't remember how to re-centre it. Then he had a go of Ultrawings and nearly threw up. So yeah, not a great experience for him.

Question (suck it, thread title): I'm hearing nothing but praise for this game, with some even going so far as to crown it the the platformer of the generation, but would it still have been as remarkable without VR? What makes this so special otherwise? 

2 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Question (suck it, thread title): I'm hearing nothing but praise for this game, with some even going so far as to crown it the the platformer of the generation, but would it still have been as remarkable without VR? What makes this so special otherwise? 

Nope, it wouldn’t work without VR because it’s designed as purely a VR platformer and plays to pretty much all the strengths VR has to offer... which is what makes it feel so refreshing, new and fun.

I feel it really does raise the bar in terms of VR becoming a legitimate gaming platform though.. as was said earlier in the thread if this was Mario the internet would have imploded by now.

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

It wouldn’t, no - but it is in VR. It’s like saying: ‘would Super Mario 64 have been as remarkable without the analogue controls?’. And as we saw with Super Mario 64 DS, no it wouldn’t. That game was built around the N64’s new controller, this was built around the PS VR.

Super Mario Odyssey is the platformer of the generation. Perhaps any generation. Astro Bot on the other hand, is a wonderful and endlessly fun VR experience wrapped up in a charming platform game.

My housemate offered to get me this for my birthday (which was a week ago now). He forgot to collect it at the weekend, and now there's nowhere with it in stock nearby or available for delivery :( (well at least for £25 like Argos has been doing it).

You're all making me jealous, it sounds so fun!

29 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Just done 5.1. Amazing. 

Reveal hidden contents

The first time you stick your head under the water and the sound changes appropriately is just a joy. 

The whole damned thing is a complete joy. So much love gone into every level. 

Level 1-3 (sneaky last bot & chameleon :D) and its challenge level are amazing yet by the sounds of it it only gets better. Amazing stuff.

This game just keeps on getting better with each new level, it's a sheer delight and can't help but make one smile. Can't see anything topping this for GOTY and it's hard to see Mario to try and counter this game. Mario Odessy just seems so boring, so ordinary in comparison. This is the best 3D platform game ever made the best game to come from SONY Japan in years. 

5 hours ago, Mega CD said:

This game just keeps on getting better with each new level, it's a sheer delight and can't help but make one smile. Can't see anything topping this for GOTY and it's hard to see Mario to try and counter this game. Mario Odessy just seems so boring, so ordinary in comparison. This is the best 3D platform game ever made the best game to come from SONY Japan in years. 

Steady on :lol:

15 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

I haven't played this yet.... but better than Mario Odyssey.... come on now :facepalm:

Pretty sure people are allowed to experience a greater sense of wonder between one game versus another, it being subjective and all. I'm just enjoying reading the posts, it's nice to read about something that really is provoking some great emotions :wub: 

1 hour ago, cohen205 said:

I haven't played this yet.... but better than Mario Odyssey.... come on now :facepalm:

"I haven't had sex yet... but better than wanking... come on now." :coffee:

You can also apply that to anyone commenting on VR who hasn't actually tried VR. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Demo for this coming on 16th October :)

They just need to show the first 2 mins of the first water level (assuming there is more than one) and people will hit that buy button instantly.  Knock it down to £25 digitally while your at it and I may double dip.