Astro Bot - PSVR - best game of all time?

dumpster

2 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

My confession. I found all the robots easily in the first world apart from one in 1-2 which eluded me after multiple searches. I ended up looking on YouTube for the solution (:blush:) and my respect for the game only increased after discovering it.

Hide contents

It’s the one on the plane that flies overhead, but if you’re reading this, you probably already knew it would be that one.

Seriously??

I went back to that world as I had missed one, and I spotted the 'hit me!' sign on the plane's wing as it flew overhead, so I jumped off the edge to get another shot at hitting it. I hit it, but had absolutely no idea what happened except that the plane rocked a little bit and kept going. Very surprised to find I had all the bots at the end and didn't put two and two together. Was he on top of it or what?

1 minute ago, dave7g said:

Astro Bot. A few weeks ago Brad brought up that he was playing and that it was quite good, but Jeff convinced him he was wrong and the tracking was probably bad and that was that.

Gerstmann is a soul-less dick.

He's never liked anything PSVR and it's all because they didn't set it up right the first time they made a video on it. They had a hundred different lights shining everywhere which fucks up the tracking on PSVR. He didn't try to change and then it was just garbage to him.

2 hours ago, Darwock said:

Seriously??

Reveal hidden contents

I went back to that world as I had missed one, and I spotted the 'hit me!' sign on the plane's wing as it flew overhead, so I jumped off the edge to get another shot at hitting it. I hit it, but had absolutely no idea what happened except that the plane rocked a little bit and kept going. Very surprised to find I had all the bots at the end and didn't put two and two together. Was he on top of it or what?

Yes.

The Robot ejects from it.

Had to get this after all the great impressions. I'm picking it up tomorrow so I'll have to play some VR tonight to get myself acquainted with the helmet again before it arrives. Hoping it goes easy on me as it can kick my head in sometimes but this has got to be the game that makes me get my VR legs, finally.

2 hours ago, hombre_hompson said:

Giant Bomb have done a quick look on this, and it sounded like Jeff was warming to it. Said he's gonna play it.

I know it won't happen but this really should be in the GOTY conversation at Christmas. It is that good.

Too late for me to go back, I think. 

I want to be carried off into Astro world on Big Brother's manly shoulders, parting the clouds as we go.

And man, some of those challenge missions are genuinely tough. The hookshot one I cleared by nanoseconds after taking every shortcut I could think of.

Only discovered today how helpful the 3D audio is. Makes locating the robots totally natural. At least 3 times today I stopped what I was doing because I could hear a robot trapped behind a wall, and I could tell pretty much exactly where it was, went and punched the wall to reveal him.  The audio is amazing. 

This game really has blown me away, like a new genre of platform game has been invented. I have a few tiny criticisms as the later levels have got more chaotic, but it's really hard not to love it. Definitely my game of the year.

The little touches, like the flowers that look at you, the way AstroBot waves at you if you look directly at him, it's just all a joyous experience.

This game needs to be demoed in every shop to raise awareness of how great VR can be. 

The audio in this is top notch. When the main theme is reprised in one of the later levels it feels epic in a kind of Star Wars way.

Even the end credits are ace.

It will never win GOTY because not enough people have VR but it will get my vote.

7 hours ago, df0 said:

Completed that level in World 5 yesterday, absolutely fantastic, sat with a grin on my face the entire level.

Spoiler for level name/design:

Reveal hidden contents

Graveyard

Just did the same today. The whole level is so inventive and clever.