The Mandalorian - live action Star Wars TV show

• 3 weeks later...

Not the best of videos, but a look at Unreal and virtual sets that are used in the show instead of green screens. First time i'd actually seen this in action. I like how, from the perspective of others on set, it moves about in real time to fit the movements of the main shooting camera and the other real-time manipulation. Remember when Unreal were but a wee shootyman game.

On 18/02/2020 at 06:15, JohnC said:

Not the best of videos, but a look at Unreal and virtual sets that are used in the show instead of green screens. First time i'd actually seen this in action. I like how, from the perspective of others on set, it moves about in real time to fit the movements of the main shooting camera and the other real-time manipulation. Remember when Unreal were but a wee shootyman game.

ILM have posted their own video on the virtual / LED backdrop sets.  

Yeah that's very cool. It's not something where CGI is "needed" but building that whole set would be incredibly expensive. Then you would have that whole studio space not doing anything unless you're shooting a scene in that particular "location".

I'm sure this is an incredible tool to have on a show like this, where spending a bunch of cash is fine, if it lets them get things done faster and gives them more flexibility. I wonder how much touch-up they need to do afterwards. There must be seams, and moire too presumably. Maybe they just re-render the backdrop, and paste it back over the bits which aren't obscured by real things?

36 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Didn’t they do a similar thing with the Tom Cruise film, Oblivion?

Kind of.  Similar massive screens but they used real footage shot at the top of mountains.  They didn't need to shift perspective like many of the Mandalorian's virtual sets.

2 hours ago, Liamness said:

There must be seams, and moire too presumably. Maybe they just re-render the backdrop, and paste it back over the bits which aren't obscured by real things?

UE4's pipeline lets you go in and touch up around the edges to blend them better.  You can also overlay a bit of green screen in the projection if need to.  You can also throw fill lights onto the screen as well if you like.  It's ace.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm guessing she found Ezra and Thrawn then and i imagine sabine will turn up.

That all ties together with the dark Sabre and Bo Katan and the final series of rebels they're rumoured to be making.

Well I loved this. Soundtrack is a little off sometimes and one particular battle wasn’t as epic as it should have been, but it’s the best Star Wars for a while.

This is a genuinely good prime time adventure show and it makes good and enjoyable use of the universe.

I don’t get the arguments about it being “fake HDR”. It’s very obvious that although they’re using only a 200 nits dynamic range for the content at any given frame, they’re riding that range to higher and lower brightness almost constantly using the Dolby Vision metadata. It’s obviously not as good as having a widened dynamic range within each shot but it’s far from “SDR in an HDR container” as some people had made it out to be.

I do have to laugh at the idea of ‘fake HDR’. The vast majority of HDR content is graded in SDR and upscaled to HDR, or in the case of Dolby Vision graded in HDR and trimmed to SDR. The only adjustments made to each version are usually just technical tweaks for QC, to stop things clipping etc.

Barely any productions are interested or have the money to sign off on two creatively different versions. Lots of cinematographers and directors hate HDR, or just plain don’t understand it and/or don’t care. They want their productions to look soft and nuanced, not contrasty, colourful and bright, so you have to explain that HDR can look however they want, just like SDR, it doesn’t need to be overly harsh and saturated like a TV demo. And then at the end of it all you have a load of tedious internet AV enthusiasts moaning that anything that doesn’t hit 1000 nits isn’t ‘real’ HDR.

There's a clear expanded range in the Dolby Vision 4K version, versus the 1080p. 

The trend of calling HDR fake, just because it isn't searing your eyeballs, is almost as tiresome as those 'Fake 4K' halfwits.  

Quite disappointed in Vincent Teoh pitching his tent in this camp, as he should know better. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/03/2020 at 22:09, neoELITE said:

Just watched the first episode. Not bad and I'm not that into Star Wars. It felt like a Western. I thought the droid was superb. I'll watch the rest of it.

I’ve caught up to the UK weekly release now, so 3 episodes left, and I am really enjoying it.  And yeah, pretty much every episode is a node or homage to a classic western or samurai movie so far.  It is quite a departure from current trend of bingeable TV too, being more episodic, more about atmosphere, and more sparse in dialogue and plot.  Part of it makes me think of old Trek shows more than the new ones that have been pushed into the more serialised format.  This will probably change in future seasons though.

On 18/02/2020 at 06:15, JohnC said:

As others said that’s pretty neat update on the old fashioned ways of doing things.  I get the idea that Favreau is pretty big into developing these kind of things.  I swear that half the reason he went into doing the Jungle Book and The Lion Kong (apart from the money) is to get to push boundaries on these digital filmmaking techniques.