The Mandalorian - live action Star Wars TV show

11 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I agreed they’re all quite cliche, but I quite liked that about it. Have you ever watched Samurai Jack? There’s an episode in it called The Princess and the Bounty Hunters* that it reminded me a lot of, and both of them give me this feel of 80s action flicks, where the hero has to work with a bunch of scumbags who are clearly going to turn against him.

And that scene where he sneaks up on the bald guy is wonderful. Reminded me of this scene:

*If you haven’t seen it, check it out. It’s brilliant.

Yeah my son quoted batman when we were watching it. That scene was well done. Had a general Alien vibe to the who sequence as well. Only without the Alien and a big bag of dicks instead. ;)

I guess it wasn't so bad. 

Will try and finish it off tonight. 

It’s a bit odd to see the prison break episode lumped in with the one with the village as I hated the latter, but I can definitely see the Saturday morning cartoon in each of them.

I think pretty much every episode with MMA lady in it is made automatically worse. She really can’t act and sticks out like a sore thumb and just looks a bit too happy to be there.

Interestingly, Samurai Jack also did that episode better - Jack Learns To Jump Good.

People's reaction to those 'Saturday morning cartoon' eps seems to fall into two camps. Personally I feel like The Mandalorian started off quite well with a decent three-parter, took a huge nosedive for the next three standalone episodes, then ended on a massive high with the last two parts. I think and hope the finale will be the template going forward. They seemed to be experimenting with different styles in season 1.

The prison break episode was absolutely dreadful, far worse than the village one. All the acting was awful, even from seasoned vets like Clancy Brown, and they're so clearly just re-using a single corridor repeatedly ala 70s Dr Who. I quite liked Natalia Tena in Game of Thrones but she was actively embarrassing to watch in this.

I wonder if it's a tonal thing. For me it's been a classic 1990s-style family adventure show done with genuine talent and polish. It's still capable of moments of genuine drama and pathos as the best of those shows are, but it feels like its natural place is broad strokes and immediately recognisable archetypes.

But if you read it as something more modern and sombre - Man With No Name protagonist, Werner Herzog villain - with moments of levity, then having an episode where a bunch of cartoonish gangsters try a double-cross and get their comeuppance will come across as some goofy nonsense.

The episodes we can all agree are great manage that balance very deftly.

I just think Waititi nailed it with that finale. It still had the same knockabout feel but also some real stakes and - as you'd expect - the goofiness strikes just the right tone.

It is interesting to see standalone episodes again in a TV series but really it's so much better when there's more continuity, as in the final two episodes. Rebels strikes the balance well.

I didn't really rate the finale either incidentally, the lava-float scene (keeping it vague to avoid spoilers) was super naff and unconvincingly portrayed. I really liked the show on the whole but it had its ups and downs, and I'm increasingly concerned about all these wider universe characters they seem to be bringing into the fold for the second season. It's at it's best when it's completely independent from the rest of Star Wars, imo. Lone Wolf and Cub trekking their way across the galaxy.

Even when they went back to Tatooine for an episode I sighed, not least because its barely any different visually to the other desert planet they're on for five episodes. Tatooine was supposed to be at the edge of nowhere, and yet seemingly every single Star Wars character ends up there at some point.

The prison break episode was the worst one for me as well. It was one of the longer episodes, spent mostly in that one corridor, redressed as different corridors, as @CarloOos said. Which I don't think helped.

3 hours ago, CarloOos said:

The prison break episode was absolutely dreadful, far worse than the village one. All the acting was awful, even from seasoned vets like Clancy Brown, and they're so clearly just re-using a single corridor repeatedly ala 70s Dr Who. I quite liked Natalia Tena in Game of Thrones but she was actively embarrassing to watch in this.

She is a good actor but was appalling in this, it was like a terrible impression of Chianna from Farscape.

7 hours ago, Delargey said:

She is a good actor but was appalling in this, it was like a terrible impression of Chianna from Farscape.

Ha, absolutely nailed it.

I’m one of these people who thinks Star Wars is ‘pretty good’. I don’t love it like most people do. 

But this? This was phenomenal. 

And yes. I now have a Baby Yoda teddy. 

Enjoyed ep4 of the Disney Gallery doc today - finally something genuinely interesting and new in

Spoiler

The Volume.

In general, does anyone else get the feeling they've got very little proper "making of" footage, and are just padding these programmes out by sitting round a big round table massaging Jon Favreau's ego?

On 22/05/2020 at 18:26, Padster said:

...does anyone else get the feeling they've got very little proper "making of" footage, and are just padding these programmes out by sitting round a big round table massaging Jon Favreau's ego?

Yes.

They may well have reels of "making of" footage to be fair, but if so it's all on Jon's cutting room floor.

Maybe it's just me trying to see something that isn't there- but anybody picking up tension when Kathleen Kennedy speaks at those round table meetings?

On 21/05/2020 at 11:15, HarryBizzle said:

I think pretty much every episode with MMA lady in it is made automatically worse. She really can’t act and sticks out like a sore thumb and just looks a bit too happy to be there.

Perhaps I'm not really expecting particularly good acting from Star Wars but I didn't think she did badly at all. Have to agree with what people are saying about Natalia Tena though, which is a shame.

9 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Perhaps I'm not really expecting particularly good acting from Star Wars but I didn't think she did badly at all. Have to agree with what people are saying about Natalia Tena though, which is a shame.

I'm not familiar with the actress but both the Twileks were chewing the scenery.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure there are a ton  of other videos doing the rounds (link me up!) about this, but I just stumbled across this and was super impressed with what this technology can achieve.

3 hours ago, hub2 said:

I'm sure there are a ton  of other videos doing the rounds (link me up!) about this, but I just stumbled across this and was super impressed with what this technology can achieve.

It's very impressive. The 'making of' documentary series for the Mandalorian on Disney+ has an episode about it all and it seems to have totally changed the production process.

Jon Favareau talks about the evolution of the idea from Jungle Book and Lion King live action films, and they show using virtual camera's in the VR/game engine with mo-cap actors to experiment with shots and sequences, do live storyboarding and map it all out in pre-production. Then knock up a shot list and go into 'The Volume' soundstage with pre-rendered scenes all hooked up to the engine with parallax movement, etc... to make it all look seamless with the actors and practical props right there to film in camera. 

All that combined with 24 hour access, no weather constraints, and the cast and crew being close to home/family/etc... made it look like pretty game changing stuff, especially for TV productions with such tight schedules.

Oh man, the latest episode of the Gallery. Favreau and Filoni totally geeking out over all sorts of details and others having no idea wtf they’re on about :lol:

And that little bit of Favreau having the balls to mention Holiday Special directly to Lucas! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A range of books books linked to the Mandalorian has been announced (back in June)...

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-mandalorian-publishing-program-revealed-exclusive

I love the concept art you get to see during the credits so have pre-ordered the art book one from here (due out before Christmas)...  

https://agreatread.co.uk/the-art-of-star-wars-the-mandalorian-season-one-9781419748707/

Just under £20 with free delivery (which is a lot less than Amazon's current price) and I can't see it being much cheaper when it comes out given it's a 250+ page hardback (in quite large format) for a well known franchise. If anyone is very keen I have a referral link for 10% off. Message me if you want it as I don't want to take the mickey posting it on here for clicks.

I had both volumes of the "collectors edition" art and imagery books by Titan Magazines pre-ordered previously, but after multiple release date changes I had another look into them and they are actually going to be much smaller format than I thought, and I think  collection of a magazine that is being released for it rather than a proper art books.

Either way, this new one looks better to me so I've cancelled them and it's a little early Christmas present to myself.

• 1 month later...
On 10/05/2020 at 09:25, Jammy said:

Disney have definitely been picking and choosing bits of the EU to remake into canon, like bringing Thrawn into Rebels, and they do have a precedent for bringing Fett back. He escapes the sarlaac in one of the EU novels, ‘Tales From Jabba’s Palace’.

He actually escapes in two EU novels, with the explanation being that at some point he fell back in again :lol: 

On 16/05/2020 at 15:22, FiveFootNinja said:

Following on from the earlier chat about Pedro... watched episode 3 of the Gallery doc last night, this one was on the cast. Obviously they focus on Pedro Pascal as playing Din but they openly talk about, and interview, all three of them responsible for the role and also show Pedro doing the voice overs, etc... 

This sort of thing happens way more than you think anyway. I was talking to a friend who is a top theatre director and knows loads of actors, producers, etc... and she was saying that most viewers like us would be absolutely amazed how much of this sort of thing goes on compared to what we think we see/hear. For example she knows of a couple of A-list Hollywood actors (Oscar winners in fact) have permanently employed voice doubles amongst their staff to do 90% of their dialogue as ADR in post-production because they are just better at it, things like that. I kind of don't want to peek under the hood too much in case it spoils things.

I read the other day that Brice Willis only does five days on set for most of his movies, with the rest done by body and voice doubles. He was only on the set of Glass for one day.

• 2 weeks later...