The Mandalorian - Season 2 (open spoilers for big surprises)

7 hours ago, hebejebe said:

I’m a big Filoni fan but isn’t this Jon Favreau’s baby? He’s the shows creator and main writer. He’s written all the episodes so far this season. 

The behind the scenes roundtables really suggested to me that Filoni's a compass of 'good Stars Wars' for the show (not to take anything away from anyone else, including Faveau). 

From the behind the scenes stuff it looked to me like Favreau was the big man spearheading it with Disney and doing most of the actual scriptwriting, while Filoni seemed more part of the overall story development/writing room and essentially playing young George Lucas bringing loads of detail and lore together. Hearing him talk about his relationship with George was really interesting, he is the padawan.

59 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

From the behind the scenes stuff it looked to me like Favreau was the big man spearheading it with Disney and doing most of the actual scriptwriting, while Filoni seemed more part of the overall story development/writing room and essentially playing young George Lucas bringing loads of detail and lore together. Hearing him talk about his relationship with George was really interesting, he is the padawan.

It does make me wonder how the team of Favreau, Filoni and Lucas would have approached making EP 7,8,9 if they'd been given the chance. Ah well. At least we have this! 

That's the big problem with 7,8,9, we're being shown what could have been had Disney chilled their boots a bit, Filoni still says he's a few years away from making a movie but he will do it.

The Old Republic seems like an obvious place to go, I do wonder if they're holding onto it for Filoni, he was the guy that made Revan and Bane canon after all. 

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

It does make me wonder how the team of Favreau, Filoni and Lucas would have approached making EP 7,8,9 if they'd been given the chance. Ah well. At least we have this! 

If Lucas was still about I doubt we would have got Favreau, and Filoni would have been suppressed to being a simple yes man.

These guys continue to knock it out of the park.

Spoiler

Filoni managing to get me to care about a cartoon character in the first place is a feat in itself. I was sad at the end of Rise Of Skywalker when I realised that Ahsoka was one of the force ghosts that spoke to Rey. To see her in this was...strangely emotional. And then obviously the big name drop, which leads into questions about where other characters are.

That was the best episode of The Mandalorian so far - just fantastic stuff.  Some proper western vibes mixed in with awesome action, some beautiful camera shots and so many nods and references for us uber nerds.

Spoiler

I was grinning like a loon when Ahsoka finally appears on screen - kicking ass in that intro.  Having waited for so long to see her in a live action show, having watched both Clone Wars and Rebels and having read the excellent Ahsoka novel, it was a superb moment for me and TBH I don't think they could have revealed her any better than that.  

Too much to ask for a 3 hour season finale where Mando, Grogu, Ahsoka, Sabine and Ezra battle Moff Gideon and Thrawn? 

I really enjoyed the first season of this, but this second season has blown it out of the water so far.  The best Disney Star Wars output so far has been Rogue One but the way this is going, I think it could overtake it by the end of this season. 

That's the first episode I've been a bit bored by.

Spoiler

I can imagine it was great seeing a character (characters?) from Clone Wars etc but with no reference point for that stuff it was on the dull side of Star Wars for me; people standing opposite each other exchanging stilted dialogue about the force, and then a Jedi bouncing around like a superhero killing everybody. 

I think what I've been enjoying about this is that it feels like a 90s/2000s sci-fi TV show that happens to be set in the Star Wars universe. I hope it doesn't lean into the grand epic stuff too frequently because it leaves me a bit cold.

Spoiler

I'm very happy I decided to work through the Clone Wars series this week. Serendipitous you could say.

I've heard people online saying this episode is stretching the fanservice allowance to breaking point, but I really don't see it that way: they have established Mando and Baby Yoda (that's his name dammit) as characters that have their own story, even if it occasionally intersects with familiar faces or locations. Fan service would be Ahsoka joining them on their journey, but it's not about her, so we get just another great little adventure vignette, that is superbly directed, and manages to make desolation look beautiful. Then our heroes are sent on their way.

A little low key, but great.

Though I have to admit I'm disappointed that they've rolled very much back on 

Spoiler

The idea from the first season of no-one knowing much about space wizards or anything about the "force", which seemed like a conscious decision to make Mandalorian feel more like the original trilogy in how it approached the Jedi. In this now, it feels like it's actually only Mando who's not heard of them and is just catching up with the rest of the class. So this episode is pretty blatantly going back to "post prequels" feel to the Star Wars lore.

It's really obvious how incongruous it is when you compare the Mandalorian forge person's dialogue in the season 1 recap before the episode, and the dialogue in this. Let alone that Ahsoka's in it doing her thing.

So I think on balance, I like it, but Mandalorian is definitely going in a more fan service direction than was promised in the first season.

6 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Ditto. Also:

Reveal hidden contents

Baby Goku is definitely only so obsessive with that gearstick cuz it looks a bit like a death star.  :sherlock:

Spoiler

The first person to make a Grogu going Super Saiyan joke needs banned.

I really enjoyed that but I don’t think anyone who has come in cold and not paid any attention to Star Wars clone wars or rebels lore would have got much out of it.

Spoiler

it’s seems obvious to that the Jedi who Drogu will reach out to will be Ezra. Who’s in the same place as Thrawn

I had to sit and explain who these people were in this episode to my other half. But from a fan perspective: holy shit, that was incredible. 

Spoiler

Ahsoka was spot on. And that Thrawn mention set off the EU in me. 

21 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

I've only watched a bit of rebels as I found it hard going. It's just a bit toooo kiddy, though I've done Clone wars, and that last season :wub:. Am I missing much, or should I grab a few important rebels episodes?

I mean there are some great Rebels episodes so if you have time it's worth a watch. The Maul episodes are good and anything with Vader in as well. It starts off kiddy but does go into darker territory. 

• Pob changed the title to The Mandalorian - Season 2 (open spoilers for big surprises)