The Mandalorian - Season 2 (open spoilers for big surprises)

I absolutely loved that final episode (and the whole flipping series), but also think people’s criticisms around fan service and tying everything together are very valid. 

Right now I’m just very happy we get god-tier action telly that happens to be in the Star Wars universe. Merry Christmas!

Also, one thing I thought was a master stroke of suspending the reveal towards the end:

Spoiler

Showing the initial troopers getting messed up by the jedi over grainy black and white security cameras, so you think it’s probably Ahsoka.

That was great! 

Spoiler

Expected the final fight to be a gritty cull of all the characters except Grogu and Mando - but instead got a powerful reminder of the Star Wars hierarchy and a spin-off. 

Now we know the power of a Jedi - it'd be amazing to see Mando steal back Grogu (perhaps Grogu gets imprisoned because of his hinted at dark side) and face that unrelenting force. Season 3 has a lot of potential!

It does need Grogu though Imo.

Spoiler

This was absolutely awesome. Best TV moment for years. But...

They didn't have to show Luke's face. None of the characters present have seen Luke or (judging by how , in the sequel trilogy, knowledge of the events of the original trilogy seems poor among inhabitants of the Star Wars universe) probably even have a clue who he is. Keeping his face partially covered would have avoided having to use the slightly shaky CG which was the only slight let-down. And of course we the audience would have been left in no doubt who he was meant to be.

Never mind. I'm sure it will be retroactively altered in 10 years time (along with Leia in Rogue Squadron) when CG is good enough to be completed indistinguishable from reality. 

16 hours ago, Vemsie said:

It was enjoyable but I didn't like this nearly as much as some of you. The show has always been as deep as a puddle, but my biggest problem with current SW is that it makes a vast universe seem incredibly small. It's as if there are only seven important figures in that entire universe. 

I loved how TLJ told us that a nobody can be a hero, but all the great things that film set-up were retconned in the disappointing RoS and now we constantly get bombarded by nostalgia pandering and fan service. They could have had a cool new Jedi or Sith react to Grogu's Force call, but of course it had to be 

Hide contents

Luke

I'm kinda done with that. Give me something truly fresh.

So they introduce this amazing Mandolorian character who's kickass, and new Yoda kid.

Who could well be set up to be an awesome new Jedi.

Which is a long set up and not puddle deep. Both things you've cried for.

It's very fresh - a mercenary killer who won't show his face, and he spins it all around because of a child.

This is a massive sell to parents too, don't underestimate that. It works, it pulls strings and it has depth I imagine you cannot fathom.

Once you have kids you get it. It's there. Mando understands that.

Star Wars has always been about family. This series took two wholly separate and different souls and crashed them together to form a family.

Which, heartbreakingly, then ended.

Yet it managed that, without someone saying I'm your father/cousin/nephew/clone/all the Jedi/sith/etc.

To make a family from two such juxtaposed characters, is far beyond what Star Wars has ever achieved before.

It's masterful, and bookending it with the *that bit * which many of us wanted for 30+ years is the absolute best way to close it off...and push it forward.

I'm watching it again. 

Yeah, it's fan lore to the max but... I'm a fan so inject it into my veins. 

Spoiler

I've been saying for ages that Star Wars needs to move away from the Skywalker saga, and whilst I still hold that viewpoint, it shows that with good writing and execution, theres still material there to entertain. Luke's appearance was just perfectly executed - THAT is how you 'do' Star Wars. 

Favreau and Filoni have nailed this series IMO, they've managed to get blood out of a stone in many ways. I really enjoyed the sequel trilogy but I do understand and respect the viewpoint that they're flawed and a disappointed many people. I think this is several tiers above any of those films.

58 minutes ago, Hamus said:

So they introduce this amazing Mandolorian character who's kickass, and new Yoda kid.

It has lots of lore but the plot isn't particularly deep nor is there much character development. It's basically structured like a videogame with a new quest each week. And sure, it has new characters - that look a lot like old characters - but in the end we still get these ties to the OT again and again and I'm so bored of that. Looking at these recently announced series, do we really need an Obi-Wan series or a Lando one or one focused around that guy from Rogue One? Or Boba Fett?

I don't. I would love to see SW set 10.000 years in the future or something. Explore completely new frontiers. Basically what Rian Johnson wanted to do, but which might not happen anymore because of a nasty, very vocal part of the fandom that is now constantly being pandered to.

I mean, I don't hate it. I mostly enjoyed it. But I also want SW to move on.

Just my opinion, I know I'm in the minority here. :)

11 hours ago, Hamus said:

It's very fresh - a mercenary killer who won't show his face, and he spins it all around because of a child.

This is a massive sell to parents too, don't underestimate that. It works, it pulls strings and it has depth I imagine you cannot fathom.

Once you have kids you get it. It's there. Mando understands that.

Star Wars has always been about family. This series took two wholly separate and different souls and crashed them together to form a family.

Which, heartbreakingly, then ended.

Yet it managed that, without someone saying I'm your father/cousin/nephew/clone/all the Jedi/sith/etc.

To make a family from two such juxtaposed characters, is far beyond what Star Wars has ever achieved before.

It's masterful, and bookending it with the Luke many of us wanted for 30+ years is the absolute best way to close it off...and push it forward.

9 hours ago, Vemsie said:

I mean, I don't hate it. I mostly enjoyed it. But I also want SW to move on.

Move on would indicate not in this time period. This rich time period. Which is a lot easier to play with. Do you want something old Republic or maybe something like the prequels? I suspect you were pleased with those, then ;)

Literally.

This isn't the series you're looking for.

To note. You can talk all you want about Rhianna Johnstone, he decided to push Fin out of the way, turned Poe into an absolute idiot who's penchant for getting his resistance colleagues slaughtered was only bettered by a leadership coup.

He then was kept on/promoted because he was a good pilot? Awful.

He became the Joey Barton of Star Wars.

Whatever RJ was trying to do he sidelined characters, including Luke, making them idiots or back seat drivers. His character development with Rey was to not develop her at all, except for some topless scenes with KR who'd been down the gym a bit more.

The crowning glory was the Holdo manoeuvre, that was beautiful, and yet the leap of faith where by you've got intelligent AI, ships that can jump through hyperspace - and you can't programme a computer to point the ship at another ship and hit "Go fast". Ridiculous.

I see little to redeem RJ except what JJA did with ROS. Then again he was handed a potato he no doubt expected to be roasted, instead it wasn't even par boiled. So he whacked the entire Sunday roast in the microwave and out came ROS.

The end.

16 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Also, one thing I thought was a master stroke of suspending the reveal towards the end:

Hide contents

Showing the initial troopers getting messed up by the jedi over grainy black and white security cameras, so you think it’s probably Ahsoka.

The whole assault reminded me of Anakin's slaughter of the Separatists in Revenge of the Sith. It was a lot more controlled than Anakin's rage filled assault but Luke even used a couple of the same lightsabre moves. Watching it on the black and monitors also reminded me of when Yoda and Obi-wan look at the security footage of Anakin's attack on the Jedi temple.

The idea of showing how big a difference just one Jedi appearing on the scene can make also calls back to the beginning of TPM. The Nemoidian's thought that a couple of shittey Battle Droids would be able to kill two Jedi. Luke took apart what amounted to a squad of super hard bastard Battle Droids without so much as looking up from his paper.

I’ve watched it 4 times now. It’s not lost any of its impact at any point and I seem to focus on something else that is incredible each time. It’s been said before, but the most recent time it was the music. The way it builds slowly and then takes on an almost choir like background as certain things happen. It enhances the atmosphere and feeling of what we

Spoiler

and more importantly the other characters are

witnessing beautifully. 

Every single decision they made and trick they use adds something to the final 20 minutes. It’s masterful film / show making.

It was absolutely brilliant and just what was needed at the end of this most bogus year. I think I said “oh shit” at least 3 times. Just a beautiful rollercoaster ride to a touching climax. 

You guys are able to articulate your thoughts a lot better than me and I’ve really enjoyed reading all your opinions, even the batshit crazy ones that didn’t like it. 

I think my only reservation going forward and this isn’t limited to just The Mandalorion is the amount of new shows could be overkill. Hopefully I’m wrong on that front though. 

Spoiler

I remember back when TLJ came out and I was massively disappointed with how they changed Luke into a grumpy old idiot. Any time I brought it up I got the piss taken out of me because I wanted Luke to be the culmination of what he’d been through in the original trilogy, not some miserable old fool who’d had a complete change of character. I even started to think I must be missing something with the amount of people who told me I was wrong.

Well no, what I’ve just watched proves it can be done and it was far better than anything we saw in the prequels. That was how you do Star Wars and I’m really happy they’ve finally figured it out.

They should give Favreau and Filoni the keys, if they haven’t already. I’m optimistic the next films will be good again.

Bring on Season 3.

The only negative I’ve got is they still can’t make people look right. Maybe he should have kept his hood up.

Imagine going into a thread where everything is brilliant just to have the same 5 year moan about not understanding The Last Jedi.

I squealed like a child for about 45 minutes in the last episode. The iconography of the ships, the robo troopers, music, the obvious, all of it. Totally exhausted at the end. Felt like I just had sex.

37 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Imagine going into a thread where everything is brilliant just to have the same 5 year moan about not understanding The Last Jedi.

I squealed like a child for about 45 minutes in the last episode. The iconography of the ships, the robo troopers, music, the obvious, all of it. Totally exhausted at the end. Felt like I just had sex.

Not understanding The Last Jedi. You’re so smart. :lol:

It’s just called an opinion, which I thought someone as obviously intelligent as you would understand.

This is what I and a lot of other people wanted to see from you-know-who and we’ve finally got it and it’s completely shown up TLJ for being in the oh-so-clever subversive bollocks that it is.

Newsflash: when people get older they can change a lot. The problem was people hadn't seen any of the previous decades of the character's development for it to make much sense or mean much to the audience. It wasn't a bad idea in TLJ, just executed poorly.

Now back to Mando.

I love Star Wars, I loved TLJ Luke and I loved this episode of Mando. Plenty of people who hated TLJ Luke also loved this episode of Mando. They're not incompatible positions, so we don't really need to squabble about it all over again.

Spoiler

I get the criticism of this ending making the world smaller again and perhaps taking shine away from what the show has achieved with its self-contained story, but I also think Mando's goodbye scene with Grogu was still a memorable high point of the episode, as was his battle with the Dark Trooper, in one of the few fights where he's appeared to be out of his depth. He also achieved his goal for the series. He got the kid back to his people. Luke was only able to turn up and save the day because Mando had kept the kid alive, found a Jedi and got the kid to the Jedi Wi-fi hotspot. I think it delivered a good ending for Mando and pals *and* a fucking incredible bit of fan service at the same time. I adored it. I love this show and I will happily gobble up more of it in Season 3.

Also props to Giancarlo Esposito, have thoroughly enjoyed him throughout this show. Breaking Bad alone was enough to make him one of my favourite actors, but between this and The Boys he is knocking it out of the park. He's like the new Christoph Waltz for me, I want to see him in everything. This last episode needed the biggest range of emotions from him and I think he was superb throughout. The pile of Empire remains under his leadership is so much better than the First Order. Moff Gideon's theme is a belter too. On that note, the soundtrack for this show has been first rate. The Ahsoka episode in particular had an incredible score, completely blew me away.

The stinger scene was glorious too. I was not even remotely prepared for fat Bib Fortuna. :lol:

I hope we get Mando season 3 alongside the Bobba series, I am ready for more of it.

I didn’t want to start an argument by the way. I just wanted to say how happy I was to finally see him how I wanted to see him, instead of the boring, totally out of character nonsense of TLJ. I love Star Wars and it still pisses me off how little they understood it in the Sequels.

All in my opinion of course, before someone else decides to tell me how stupid I am for having a different view to theirs.