The Mandalorian - Season 2 (open spoilers for big surprises)

At the risk of dragging this thread away from TLJ...

Not sure it has been posted explicitly but Favreau and Kennedy have confirmed that Mando 3 is happening as planned.

Spoiler

Book o’ Boba is a separate spin-off with Robert Rodriguez also producing.

They decided to keep the news under wraps instead of mentioning it as part of the recent the investor day announcements.

I was slightly underwhelmed by season 2. I remember season 1 being better paced and written but haven't seen that since it launched so it may just be a case of raised expectations.

First episode felt grand with the big setpiece (the change in aspect ratio was interesting - was it filmed in iMax I wonder?) and was a great start to the season. After that I feel the writing and tension took a downhill slope with some filler episodes (we need to go to this place to get this thing so that we can get on with the main objective). Side quests. Season 1 had this too but I remember them being better and more interesting. 

Generally too many western shooty action sequences with stormtroopers as cannon fodder. I get that this is their role and was also in the original movies but there was just too much of it and it got dull. Seems they spent most of the budget on the opening and then saved some for the final stretch? 

I really liked the Jedi episode. Made me think of both Tartakovsky Samurai Jack and Kill Bill whch isn't too shabby. :)

And yes, that final episode 8 was great. Some great stop-motion-esque CGI reminding me of OG Terminator. A real sense of threat. 

Just call me dead inside. :)

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Turns out the stop-motion CG Dark Troopers were actually people in suits. Some of the time at least. They did fiddle with them afterwards to remove some human bits in the gaps and add mechanical joints and stuff.

Yep, you can see one in the background here..

I really enjoyed Season 2. S1 was a bit mixed, but Season 2 was pretty much top tier all the way through.

I wasn't mad on

Spoiler

Boba Fett rejoining. Or is Boba Fett? Who knows. Still, a middle aged Boba Fett who is aging significantly faster than Skywalker was a bit poor, especially after we established there were other bad ass Mandalorians around. I guess the build up with the suit was nice though.

I liked the Luke fight at the end, but did t like that Luke was the Jedi. I get why he's there from a story perspective but a series that had broadly made the galaxy bigger took some significant steps in making it smaller again.

Still, I can forgive it that misstep.

I think it links in with the new trilogy - presumably the Child's blood was being used in cloning experiments under the eye of Thrawn to create a new Emperor?

Nice bit if old school EU tie in there. 

2 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

I really enjoyed Season 2. S1 was a bit mixed, but Season 2 was pretty much top tier all the way through.

I wasn't mad on

Reveal hidden contents

Boba Fett rejoining. Or is Boba Fett? Who knows. Still, a middle aged Boba Fett who is aging significantly faster than Skywalker was a bit poor, especially after we established there were other bad ass Mandalorians around. I guess the build up with the suit was nice though.

I liked the Luke fight at the end, but did t like that Luke was the Jedi. I get why he's there from a story perspective but a series that had broadly made the galaxy bigger took some significant steps in making it smaller again.

Still, I can forgive it that misstep.

I think it links in with the new trilogy - presumably the Child's blood was being used in cloning experiments under the eye of Thrawn to create a new Emperor?

Nice bit if old school EU tie in there. 

about that spoiler

Spoiler

A reminder that Boba is at least 30 years older than Luke*, and is an unaltered clone of Jango

* 10 years of cloning/death of Sifo  Dyas in AotC, (plus the time between AotC and RotS) plus 19 years from RotS to ANH

Edited by SeanR
3 hours ago, SeanR said:

about that spoiler

Hide contents

A reminder that Boba is at least 30 years older than Luke*, and is an unaltered clone of Jango

* 10 years of cloning/death of Sifo  Dyas in AotC, (plus the time between AotC and RotS) plus 19 years from RotS to ANH

Aaaaah yeah, that's a very good point I'd missed. Thank you.

I think Fett is more like 17 years older than Luke. He looks about 12 in AOTC, and there is five years between that film and ROTS. Luke is born in ROTS. 

Morrison does look a bit old to be playing a 45-ish year old, but let’s put that down to becoming somewhat weathered inside the Sarlacc.  

I watched Episode 3 of S1 ages ago (primarily because of Werner Herzog) and thought it was fine, if unremarkable. I've been recommended to watch S2 of this.

My question being, is the hype real or is this a case of for fans only again? The IMDB/RT scores are stupidly high and I'd like to know if they are actually justified.

27 minutes ago, mushashi said:

I watched Episode 3 of S1 ages ago (primarily because of Werner Herzog) and thought it was fine, if unremarkable. I've been recommended to watch S2 of this.

My question being, is the hype real or is this a case of for fans only again? The IMDB/RT scores are stupidly high and I'd like to know if they are actually justified.

Only you can decide that. Watch it or don’t, you don’t need us to try to convince you. You’ll either like it, or you won’t. 

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

Like it, or do not. There is no try.

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

Maybe just devote 15 min of your life to find out for yourself, or do you rely on internet strangers to guide you through every decision in life?

Just finished season 2 and thought it was great, I enjoyed it much more than season 1. It wasn't till the last 2 episodes of season 1 where I really felt the show click for me. But this one I was drawn in throughout. Not to mention it looks amazing in 4k. Best looking TV show I've seen, even more than GOT.

I felt each epsiode had much more enjoyable missions, great action and a proper sense of an overriding arc. I also liked how its starting to fill in gaps between Jedi and Force Awakens and you can see the start of the rise of the First Order.

The last epsiode was awesome and I'm annoyed the

Spoiler

Luke reveal was spoilt for me but I enjoyed it all the same. It was pretty obvious it was him before he showed his face though. Green saber, black glove over the hand etc. Also, I never get tired of seeing R2 :D

I do wonder where the show goes from here now though because with Ahsoka getting her own show you'd expect the

Spoiler

Thrawn

stuff to be in that rather than this. I guess they'll just make new stories further removed from the main SW films, which obviously isn't a bad thing at all.

Also the love the post credit

Spoiler

in Jabbas Palace and I defiantly heard a "Maclunkey" in there from Bib Fortuna :lol:

Final episode:

Spoiler

I think despite it being the best Star Wars in God knows how long, I still agree with @BitterToad

Once the initial awe of Luke being a space Ninja wore off, I was left wondering what him being there actually added other than to make us fanboy. We're left with a smaller universe once again, and more importantly, it feels like Mando and Grogu's story is ultimately just a footnote of the Skywalker saga, rather than something in its own right.

We also managed to take Mando, an absolute badass, who was able to hold his own against a Jedi (Ahsoka), and make him and all his pals look utterly impotent in comparison to Luke.

And lastly, what felt like it should have been the most important bit of the episode, Mando taking his helmet off to say goodbye to Grogu, not because he had to (like in the last episode), but because he wanted to, was totally overshadowed by Luke showing up and then standing there like an uncanny-valley CGI robo-puppet thing.

Spoiler

What other Jedi could or should have turned up? Grogu did his force call to the Galaxy; Ashoka already said no. 

Your options are:

* Bring back someone that should be dead

* Fan service a spin off character which is like the Luke reveal but shitter

* No one turns up and the show goes a third series on essentially the same plot

Luke is the only one that makes sense from a universe perspective. And he should, in fairness, be walking through all but the most serious threats. Him taking Grogu both lets the show take a new direction and leaves open the chance at a reunion later. 

Luke was fun, but the helmet removal scene is why the show is great. The latter enables you to have the former and it not be shit. When the excitement over Luke settles, that'll be clear. 

Think the end enables them to expand the universe and not shrink it, and will be disappointed if season 3 starts with him picking up Grogu again immediately. 

26 minutes ago, kensei said:
  Hide contents

What other Jedi could or should have turned up? Grogu did his force call to the Galaxy; Ashoka already said no. 

Your options are:

Luke is the only one that makes sense from a universe perspective. And he should, in fairness, be walking through all but the most serious threats. Him taking Grogu both lets the show take a new direction and leaves open the chance at a reunion later. 

Luke was fun, but the helmet removal scene is why the show is great. The latter enables you to have the former and it not be shit. When the excitement over Luke settles, that'll be clear. 

Think the end enables them to expand the universe and not shrink it, and will be disappointed if season 3 starts with him picking up Grogu again immediately. 

Spoiler

I think each of the "fan service" call backs were fine in and of themselves, but together, it makes the world seem smaller. You have Mando bumping into 4 legacy characters in a short period.

I wish they just saved it for Luke, but obviously, they needed to set up the new series.

1 hour ago, kensei said:
  Hide contents

Your options are:

No, there is another.

Spoiler

I thought with Ahsoka back we might have encountered a certain Mr Bridger. But I guess that’s likely wrapped up in the Thrawn/Ahsoka story that her own show will tell.

4 hours ago, Delargey said:

Hide contents

I think each of the "fan service" call backs were fine in and of themselves, but together, it makes the world seem smaller. You have Mando bumping into 4 legacy characters in a short period.

I wish they just saved it for Luke, but obviously, they needed to set up the new series.

Spoiler

Going to Tatooine annoyed me a bit. That one does make things smaller. 

But there's a a certain amount of TV logic I think you have to just forgive. Familiar elements help the audience, or that's the the theory anyway. 

Now they've soft piloted all their new shows, hope things open up a bit more. 

• Pob changed the title to The Mandalorian - Season 2 (open spoilers for big surprises)