The Mandalorian - Season 2 (open spoilers for big surprises)

TehStu

Seems like all spoiler rules were off when a lot of thumbnails from YouTube channels I normally like were fucking spoiling stuff left right and centre when the episodes first came out. 

Like the worst I’ve seen it. Was proper fuming. 

2 hours ago, Clipper said:

yeah who wanted it spoiled that baby boba fett captured baby han solo to take to baby jabba the hut!

(hang on I need to write a pitch to Disney!)

Star Wars Babies

They make their dreams come true

Star Wars Babies

They'll do the same for you...

On 11/01/2021 at 13:46, cavalcade said:

"if you haven't felt emotion yet, wait until you get to the last episoide!!!!11!!!".

The 

Spoiler

Luke

reveal wasn't what got me in the last episode - put me in the camp of being a little ambivalent about the small universe thing, but I do think the show had earned it fair and square at that point.

The bit that really got me was 

Spoiler

Mando removing the helmet to show the child his face.

God damn, if that didn't move you, your heart must be black. That was some peak star wars. I could barely keep my shit together. 

Read the last few pages. The prison episode in the first season is the absolute shittiest episode in either season. So any criticism of other episodes is null and void if you love that episode.

Also, no “soul”? Get in the sea.

I absolutely loved season 2 after a slow-ish start, but my main worry was that I was perhaps enjoying it too much. Like, I knew it was stuffed with fan service. It's clear they are setting up more series with guest appearances. They are leaning on nostalgia and established characters, including bringing some back from the dead. But none of that impacted my enjoyment in the way I might expect it to on paper. I actually couldn't believe how pumped I was when Boba Fett finally made a proper appearance, after being really sniffy about the idea prior to S2 airing. It must simply be because it was all built up and executed so well (in my opinion).

I have gone on quite a journey with this series. Right off the bat I was disappointed about how simplistic and 'TV-like' it was in terms of script and performances. By that I mean pre-Sopranos 80s and 90s TV. But now I absolutely love it.

I think it's a mixture of a few things: adapting to the kind of show it is, and re-watching it from the start with my 8-year old; growing to like the characters, as you tend to do with TV shows.

But I also do think that it's upped its game massively as it's gone on. It started with the penultimate ep of S1 and has been on an upward trajectory ever since. It's got a bit more to it than I first gave it credit for, and that's really come out in season 2. The Bill Burr episodes encapsulate that for me - there is a massive gulf in quality between the two as far as I'm concerned.

I loved the Prison break episode in S1, but the one he was in in S2 was top-tier, universe-expanding stuff. That scene in the cafeteria was excellent. You're just getting used to Mando taking the helmet off and then that conversation between Mayfeld and yer man happens. Fucking brilliant. 

On 13/01/2021 at 15:13, Don Rosco said:

but I do think the show had earned it fair and square at that point.

I couldn’t agree more. The show had already proven what a fun, original Star Wars story looked like - it didn’t need a crutch to walk, it’s been running and skipping along for two seasons. The ending was entirely deserved. 

10 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Read the last few pages. The prison episode in the first season is the absolute shittiest episode in either season. So any criticism of other episodes is null and void if you love that episode.

Also, no “soul”? Get in the sea.

Nah, the country village one is the worst surely. The prison break one does some universe building and has Richard Aoyade. And Anakin Skywalker.

I watched the rest of Season 2 and it is indeed better than season 1 by some margin but still the odd filler episode.

Also I should point out I have watched the Star Wars films but the prequels only once - and none of the other stuff like clone wars or rebels etc so a large proportion of the fan service stuff does not touch me.

I'll put it in spoilers just in case

Spoiler

Season 2

Episode 3 - The Heiress

Decent action episode this one, I like Katee Sackhoff in general and her performance here is great nice tension with Mando. The invasion of the ship and take over was well done as well.

3/5

Episode 4 - The Siege

Carl Weathers on great form again in this episode back on Navarro, it is a shame they don't use him more. The infiltration of imperial bad place and take/blow up stuff is similar to last episode however and becomes a bit of a theme this season. I knocked off a point as the comic relief alien did not need to come back!

3/5

Episode 5 - The Jedi

Another episode where we go to a place and try to fix something or put right a wrong... I get that is the theme of the series but it is starting to feel a lot like the A Team in terms of variety mid season. The jedi Asohka stuff was unsatisfying as it ended up as "this is not the jedi you are looking for" meaning the episode felt a bit flat and pointless and Mando seems to just go from place to place with not much in the way of progress. Felt like a filler episode which is damning when we are meeting a Jedi!

3/5

Episode 6 - The Tragedy

Hmmmmmm it is BOBA FETT everyone. Not convinced we needed this character and blowing up Mando's ship seemed a very convenient way to hook him in. I don't feel the same love other Star Wars fans felt for Boba Fett - he was a cool looking bad guy and got eaten in RotJedi simple. I don't like the dark troopers either as they look a bit hokey and they don't improve later on either! I don't see many positives in this episode as a whole it feels like a macguffin to capture Grogu, the runtime of 33 mins is indicative of an episode that basically wanted to get Grogu captured so it does its job and gets out of there.

2/5

Episode 7 - The Believer

Utterly superb episode. The officer's mess scene was utterly compelling and probably the best thing in the Mandalorian over both seasons. It takes Star Wars mythos and just shows you what it is like at the ground level with real human connections and reactions. I'll even forgive the fact it is yet another episode where we invade an imperial place to get a thing. I think this is the best episode over both seasons purely for that scene in the officer's mess.

5/5

Episode 8 - The Rescue

And an incredibly strong finish! The emotional stuff between Mando and Grogu, the Luke stuff, Katee Sackhoff is back on top form. Moff Gideon (snigger) is a weak bad guy in my opinion but he sort of does his job here better than he did in season 1. The dark troopers are terrible though - oooh we have a super droid that is way overpowered it shakes off blaster hits and the mini missile things it is almost invulnerable until it meets a lightsabre. I know luke is meant to be an ultra badass jedi but it feels like the dark troopers were invented in this season to be an ultra hard foe just to show how cool Luke is which is poor plotting. If we see dark troopers again I think they won't be as tough to beat.

5/5

So overall a 4/5 for the season, strong opening then wandered for a bit before bringing it home in a spectacular fashion. The Boba Fett stuff and dark troopers were the most annoying parts and I am not at all enamoured with the idea of a Boba Fett series.

Glad you enjoyed it! :D Your least favourite episode of the season is one of my favourites though, and I didn't have a huge amount of investment in a certain character beforehand either. I thought it was just a really great action episode.

Yeah that was one of my favourites too. I also liked that they delivered immediately. Could easily have stalled out for another episode or two trying to get to the  wi-fi hotspot. Instead, the previous episode they set off to go there, next episode they arrived immediately and got straight to business. Really appreciated the pacing there, and I liked that they spent the whole episode on one very eventful action sequence. Doing its job and getting out of there was a strength of the episode for me rather than a shortcoming. The fan service definitely adds a point on for me but it would have been a favourite regardless. Enjoyed your write up of the series as a whole though, I like to see the thinking behind people's opinions. :) 

Its a close run thing between episodes 5 and 6 for the worst one for me... episode 5 would've been a 2/5 except for the lightsabrey stuff which made a nice combat change.

the action in 6 was great but one thing about this series is that the action is generally great anyway so it didn't stand out in that regard.

Episode 7 is an astonishing piece of the work though.

Yes, I agree that that episode 7 is probably the apex of the series so far. It's the perfect mix of action and character-building, it moves the main story along but is also self-contained, and it does some nice world-building / EU-link up without being overbearing about it.

Well this was pretty good. Unlike a lot of others here I’m not into seeing more stuff in the Star Wars canon. I understand the criticisms of the small universe but it’s hardly the worst Star Wars has been for that. I generally feel that what makes Star Wars interesting is the Jedi and lightsabers, so I enjoyed the Asokah and Luke bits the most. I’m not really a big fan of Mando himself, he’s a bit monosyllabic and dull for my tastes. I like Star Wars most when it’s fun and a bit silly, so the parts where it’s them trying to make him seem cool and interesting where I’m generally bored. I don’t really think you can do a serious story in a world full of rubber faced fish people. 

The action scenes were generally really good, and I enjoyed seeing a bunch of cool people who I either vaguely remember from other stuff or could tell were important. I’m surprised that he didn’t have more questions for Bo Katan about his group of Mandalorians though. It was way better than the first season, still felt a bit like a bunch of video game side quests for the first few episodes (of course I can help you, but first I need you to go and kill a thing), but the second half was awesome. I felt like it ended a bit abruptly though, the final scene was great, like the end of Rogue One except it actually earned it and wasn’t the only interesting bit. The final scene with him showing his face was great. My only worry is that without Grogu around next season will be all side quests and silent looks with no face to read. I would’ve liked just a hint at what Mando will do now.

45 minutes ago, Broker said:

Well this was pretty good. Unlike a lot of others here I’m not into seeing more stuff in the Star Wars canon. I understand the criticisms of the small universe but it’s hardly the worst Star Wars has been for that. I generally feel that what makes Star Wars interesting is the Jedi and lightsabers, so I enjoyed the Asokah and Luke bits the most. I’m not really a big fan of Mando himself, he’s a bit monosyllabic and dull for my tastes. I like Star Wars most when it’s fun and a bit silly, so the parts where it’s them trying to make him seem cool and interesting where I’m generally bored. I don’t really think you can do a serious story in a world full of rubber faced fish people. 

The action scenes were generally really good, and I enjoyed seeing a bunch of cool people who I either vaguely remember from other stuff or could tell were important. I’m surprised that he didn’t have more questions for Bo Katan about his group of Mandalorians though. It was way better than the first season, still felt a bit like a bunch of video game side quests for the first few episodes (of course I can help you, but first I need you to go and kill a thing), but the second half was awesome. I felt like it ended a bit abruptly though, the final scene was great, like the end of Rogue One except it actually earned it and wasn’t the only interesting bit. The final scene with him showing his face was great. My only worry is that without Grogu around next season will be all side quests and silent looks with no face to read. I would’ve liked just a hint at what Mando will do now.

You got a hint - he now has the Darksaber - so that whole mandalore storyline needs to be resolved.