The Mandalorian - Season 2 (open spoilers for big surprises)

Just now, Colonel Panic said:

The best thing about social media is also the worst thing. Now we know who these fuckers are. And they’re everywhere. 

Usually because they were radicalised by social media. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

7 minutes ago, Danster said:

I'm going to stick my next out a little here. And I don't want to be crucified so please tell me why I am wrong. That quoted tweet is the only thing I've seen of hers and could it possibly be more clumsy than abhorrent?

Abhorrence, in my mind, would be to say something like "The Jews suffering at the hands of the Nazi's has been overblown by history" 

In that tweet she's drawing a false equivalence between the Nazi's propaganda, turning ordinary people against Jews, and modern politics and news media promoting hate of others due to their (in this case political) beliefs.

If that is the only thing she said then I'd have thought an apology and a clarification of her meaning would have been enough.

Something like

"I am sorry for being so clumsy with my words. I do not diminish the suffering of the Jews in any way, I just wanted to comment about how hate is used by fascists to create power for themselves."

I don't care that she's been sacked at all. 

Am I missing something here?

Comparing the treatment of republicans to the treatment of Jews in the war under the nazis; pushing election fraud messaging; being horrible to people. 

2 minutes ago, Danster said:

I'm going to stick my next out a little here. And I don't want to be crucified so please tell me why I am wrong. That quoted tweet is the only thing I've seen of hers and could it possibly be more clumsy than abhorrent?

Abhorrence, in my mind, would be to say something like "The Jews suffering at the hands of the Nazi's has been overblown by history" 

In that tweet she's drawing a false equivalence between the Nazi's propaganda, turning ordinary people against Jews, and modern politics and news media promoting hate of others due to their (in this case political) beliefs.

If that is the only thing she said then I'd have thought an apology and a clarification of her meaning would have been enough.

Something like

"I am sorry for being so clumsy with my words. I do not diminish the suffering of the Jews in any way, I just wanted to comment about how hate is used by fascists to create power for themselves."

She's a history of these sort of posts. Lots of anti-vaxx, anti-masks, right wing conspiracy stuff. It was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. 

A lot on the right are saying it's unfair because James Gunn got fired by Disney and rehired. Difference being he apologized profusely for his tweets, whereas Gina seems to have doubled down on hers at every opportunity. 

MEh. I don't think her tweets are that bad. I mean she's obviously stupid, but does it matter if she has stupid opinions as an actor? She's not holocaust denying, just making a stupid false equivalence. I mean, I didn't even like her character but Disney does seem to be taking an extreme left wing stance on everything at the mo. This being a lefty forum you may all think that's a good thing.

23 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Yeah. Clearly she’s a delightful person and EXACTLY who you want leading your new TV spin-off. 

She seems to be quite nice in Mandalorian interviews - I guess she's one of those people who's fallen down some crank internet alleys and come up with bullshit views as a result.

36 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

She's a history of these sort of posts. Lots of anti-vaxx, anti-masks, right wing conspiracy stuff. It was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. 

A lot on the right are saying it's unfair because James Gunn got fired by Disney and rehired. Difference being he apologized profusely for his tweets, whereas Gina seems to have doubled down on hers at every opportunity. 

She made fun of trans people as well. Garbage person.
And all those crybabies on the right who now complain about cancel culture probably overlap nicely with those who demanded that Colin Kaepernick got fired for bending the knee during the national anthem. 

On 07/02/2021 at 07:55, Sane said:

I've watched 6 episodes of this and so far I feel like I'm wasting my time. It's predictable and boring. There must be more to it right? Should I keep watching? 

It depends what you’re after. I personally have never been that interested in the wider Star Wars setting and like Jedi stuff most, and it gets better in that regard. It still feels a bit like “Video Game Filler Quest: The Show” though. 

10 hours ago, drmick said:

If I was a C-list star who suddenly myself in the Disney Big League- I would delete my entire existence from the internet as much as I could, and never do any interviews other than that required by the job.

Ever since that guy got fired from his job in parliament because he wrote some stupid posts saying that Morrisey is teh gayz when he was 19 I’ve felt a bit uneasy about my posting history here. I used to be such an arsehole and this place and it’s patient, intelligent responses taught me I was wrong about so many things, but the initial stupid posts are still there. 

5 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Wonder if they’ll recast Cara Dune, or we’ll see a long-lost cousin turn up to pick up the characters arc?

I don’t really feel like her character has anything unresolved? If anything after her character arc in season 1 she becomes an entirely static and quite generic good guy in season 2.

47 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

It’s mad that a small disagreement over personal pronouns lead to her doubling down repeatedly until she’s ended up saying something this horrible. 

19 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

MEh. I don't think her tweets are that bad. I mean she's obviously stupid, but does it matter if she has stupid opinions as an actor? She's not holocaust denying, just making a stupid false equivalence. I mean, I didn't even like her character but Disney does seem to be taking an extreme left wing stance on everything at the mo. This being a lefty forum you may all think that's a good thing.

If you genuinely believe that not wanting to employ someone who dislikes trans people, thinks masks are an evil scheme to attack her rights and then compares herself to the Jewish population in Nazi germany is an extreme left wing view then you’re pretty far off the reservation. It’s not extreme and it’s barely even left wing, just basic human decency to not belittle the suffering of an entire race at the hands of literal Nazis. This stuff isn’t a different political ideology, it’s actual extremism and should be opposed by even the laziest of centrists. 

5 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

Ok Ok. this isn't the thread for politics. 

Isn't it always weird how it's always your weirdly racist family member who doesn't want to talk about politics? Normally just after they've said the most dunderheaded thing ever. 

I'd never heard of this woman before The Mandalorian and to be honest I quite liked her character and performance in the show but there's no doubt the right decision has been made here. It takes genuine stupidity and belligerence to tweet yourself out of your own Star Wars spin-off show, I mean wow.

1 hour ago, Danster said:

Something like

Yeah, it's the accumulation of other stuff, including the anti-vaxxer, anti-masks rhetoric and the controversy over trans pronouns. If she had been fired 'just' for the recent tweet, it would have been over the top. That tweet was the straw that broke the camel's back.

EDIT: I appear to be about 8 years behind in replying with this, as well as using exactly the same metaphor as everyone else. Apols. :lol:

I really liked Cara Dune, her and Mando together with da bébé in da egg are the iconic images of the series for me. She couldn’t act very well, but that is a long Star Wars tradition. The Muppets always out-act the humans.

Anyway, you can’t go round publicly posting hateful anti-Semitic craziness if you’re the public face of a Disney kids TV show, so bye then.

Pretty clear they had a whole raft of stuff planned for the character though, spin-offs, comics, novels...The story of the population of Alderaan who became refugees is well worth telling, so I hope there’s another character that can run with it.

5 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Pretty clear they had a whole raft of stuff planned for the character though, spin-offs, comics, novels...The story of the population of Alderaan who became refugees is well worth telling, so I hope there’s another character that can run with it.

I'm looking forward to the introduction of Dara Cune.