The Mandalorian - Season 2 (open spoilers for big surprises)

48 minutes ago, Wickedkitten said:

Imagine fucking up a Disney bag where you are on one of the biggest shows on the planet and were about to get your own spinoff because you can’t keep the bullshit in your head off social media?

Maybe Joss Whedon can create a show headlined by her and Cas Anvar filmed on a camcorder in his back garden. About the only way the three of them will get a project that isn't a far-right crank podcast in the near future.

3 hours ago, womblingfree said:

I really liked Cara Dune, her and Mando together with da bébé in da egg are the iconic images of the series for me. She couldn’t act very well, but that is a long Star Wars tradition. The Muppets always out-act the humans.

Anyway, you can’t go round publicly posting hateful anti-Semitic craziness if you’re the public face of a Disney kids TV show, so bye then.

Pretty clear they had a whole raft of stuff planned for the character though, spin-offs, comics, novels...The story of the population of Alderaan who became refugees is well worth telling, so I hope there’s another character that can run with it.

Not being able to act would become more of a problem when she was going to be the lead with her own show.  Timothy Olyphant can probably do a Rangers show in his sleep, if you put Bill Burr and Paul Sun-Hyung Lee in there, I think it could work.  Or maybe get Lucy Lawless as a replacement.

Does she have a history of particularly poor taste tweets ? If so fair enough I guess , I really don’t know much about her.

However I’ve read her most recent tweet a few times now and I don’t see the anti semitic side at all.

Isn’t she just drawing parallels between techniques used by those in power to manipulate how people act towards someone/thing/race/gender/culture/etc

are you not allowed to do that when it involves talking about strategies in ww2 now ? Who says?

I get the ‘if you want to be paid by Disney , don’t even put yourself in the firing line of that stuff and stay out of politics or anything that might damage the brand by association’ 

But I don’t get that this tweet was anti Semitic.

perhaps it’s an accumulation of things she has done??

1 hour ago, sid said:

Does she have a history of particularly poor taste tweets ? If so fair enough I guess , I really don’t know much about her.

However I’ve read her most recent tweet a few times now and I don’t see the anti semitic side at all.

Isn’t she just drawing parallels between techniques used by those in power to manipulate how people act towards someone/thing/race/gender/culture/etc

are you not allowed to do that when it involves talking about strategies in ww2 now ? Who says?

I get the ‘if you want to be paid by Disney , don’t even put yourself in the firing line of that stuff and stay out of politics or anything that might damage the brand by association’ 

But I don’t get that this tweet was anti Semitic.

Holocaust denial is as openly antisemitic as it fucking gets.

And that includes your disgusting post that I’m quoting only in case you delete it.

41 minutes ago, Piccolomini said:

It is not 'strategies in ww2', it is genocide.

Can you even fathom what mental processes took place in order to describe the holocaust as a strategy? Like, they did X but they should have done Y because hindsight at all that. It wasn't a strategy, they just wanted all these fucking people dead. Into the sun with this "strategy" bullshit.

14 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Are Lucasfilm going back and digitally replacing her with Hayden Christensen?

Could you clarify the point you are trying to make here? The reason being because I'm not really seeing a link between Lucas constantly fucking around with the first six Star Wars films and Carano finally getting the boot after a long series of shitty tweets. 

Something about David Prowse's falling out with Lucas? Wait. I just checked and that was Sebastian Shaw, so yeah I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

29 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Holocaust denial is as openly antisemitic as it fucking gets.

And that includes your disgusting post that I’m quoting only in case you delete it.

I don’t deny it for one bit that’s abhorrent but I don’t see how she did either.

perhaps it’s my lack of understanding of the points Holocaust deniers make maybe. If so I apologise genuinely don’t know much about Holocaust denial !

26 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Can you even fathom what mental processes took place in order to describe the holocaust as a strategy? Like, they did X but they should have done Y because hindsight at all that. It wasn't a strategy, they just wanted all these fucking people dead. Into the sun with this "strategy" bullshit.

I meant more how they got the people on board / manipulating them if you see what I mean.

What she's said isn't anti-Semitic, or Holocaust denial, but it is offensively and heinously stupid.

She's trying to compare the process of state indoctrination of a country to hate a whole group of people as the first step towards wiping them out, to people shouting down people with stupid or repugnant views. The false equivalence is absurd. And obviously one that was going to get her sacked.

FWIW there have been other examples where public figures have compared treatment of X group, or strategies used by X group, with the treatment of Jews, or with the Nazis. If that comparison is felt to be obviously wrong, IE that the thing they are comparing is anything other than genocide, then it is widely accepted under the definition of anti semitism. The reasoning behing that the act of comparison is minimising the seriousness of the Holocaust and what actually happened. 

That might seem like a stretch until you remember that attempts to undermine and minimise public perception of the Holocaust has been a priority for far right groups over the years. 

11 minutes ago, sid said:

Jesus this forum is unable to discuss anything as usual.

If you don't know anything/much about holocaust denial, before you judge the merit of discussion on this forum I would urge you to do some research. It was obviously such an horrendous moment in history that even the suggestion of denial should have you reaching for the new Google tab, without any education directed from members of this forum required. My stance of utter outrage is perfectly valid, and not a reflection of anyone's ability to discuss anything on this site.

In fact, "I don't know [...]" is a lousy thing to interject in a discussion, unless it was immediately followed with "but I'll go educate myself".

Yes, the major difference is that the Jews didn't do anything to deserve their beyond horrific treatment. However, supporting the world's most deranged President, ignoring all evidence about the dangers of Coronavirus and pushing dangerous myths to your fanbase, and not respecting people's reasonable wishes to be called by their desired pronouns, is more than enough for someone to be called out without being able to laughably invoke Godwin's Law. Carano had more than enough chances to change course! I'm sure she'll see this as a prime example of people not being entitled to free speech - and certainly the alt-right keyboard warriors are going to drone on for days about this while completely missing the point - but it's just that someone with a public profile can and should face consequences for tweeting dangerous nonsense and this isn't a bad thing. Unlike some, I do think that cancel culture exists and is potentially an insidious thing, but certainly not in this instance. Her sacking is well justified!

10 minutes ago, TehStu said:

If you don't know anything/much about holocaust denial, before you judge the merit of discussion on this forum I would urge you to do some research. It was obviously such an horrendous moment in history that even the suggestion of denial should have you reaching for the new Google tab, without any education directed from members of this forum required. My stance of utter outrage is perfectly valid, and not a reflection of anyone's ability to discuss anything on this site.

In fact, "I don't know [...]" is a lousy thing to interject in a discussion, unless it was immediately followed with "but I'll go educate myself".

So we should google things instead of discussing them . oook

this used to be a place you could have a discussion.

Hrrrrrmmmm yes, was the holocaust actually the equivalent of some right-wing headbangers being criticised on social media is truly a topic that is worthy of in-depth discussion to reach an answer.

8 minutes ago, velma said:

In order for you to have a discussion, you need to have some basic knowledge to discuss. If you don't have anything to discuss then consider listening to others who have taken the time to inform themselves of the subject first. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

False Equivalence:

being a Republican in the US is NOT the same as being Jewish in Nazi Germany.

in fact, being a Republican in the US is MORE like being a Nazi in Nazi Germany... BECAUSE OF THEIR USE OF THE SAME TECHNIQUES.

This is pretty much it.

Right now, it’s the evils in society that are using the tools of justice to undermine society as a whole.

Right wingers, especially the alt right are weaponising methods that the left used in good faith in order to fight against progressive politics.

The alt-right have been clear that this is their method to further their own ideals.

Lucasfilm Nuked her hard. Their statement calling her tweets abhorrent is good starting point to start purging these idiots.

13 minutes ago, velma said:

In order for you to have a discussion, you need to have some basic knowledge to discuss. If you don't have anything to discuss then consider listening to others who have taken the time to inform themselves of the subject first. 

That is a lecture not a discussion.  

1 minute ago, Waggo said:

That is a lecture not a discussion.  

Listening to a number of other posters having an informed discussion is a lecture? How so? 

I read a lot of stuff in the covid threads from people on here with medical/scientific backgrounds. I don't decide that they're lecturing me because I haven't got the same level of contribution. I don't get a curt response if I ask a question, but I would expect one if I just tried to shoot down their posts without having anything worthwhile to counter.