Microsoft’s xCloud Game Streaming Service

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

It is royally crap, but there's 0% chance of me switching to Android over this. I think I'm more likely to just buy another device to use with it, rather than switch. Hopefully Apple will see sense and change their app store policy in the not too distant future, though.

Sure, I'm not suggesting anyone (particularly you) is shifting their position based on xcloud, and phones are inherently more disposable than the hardware I was talking about but I do think that the control that apple has and is building upon isn't particularly comforting. 

This is way off topic now.

For me, the alarm bells really started ringing with the t2 chip - one feature of this chip is that it makes hardware completely unserviceable by anyone by Apple. Not such a big deal if you don't think you'd have gone anywhere else anyway, of course but the choice would be welcome. The real problem is that Apple get to decide how long I get to use my computer. If I want a new battery or the keyboard develops a fault or the hard drive corrupts after a time that Apple, not the customer, deems the device obsolete, nobody can repair it. I think that's *quite* bad.

• Upvote 3

Side-loaded (or whatever the term is) the Google Play store onto my Kindle Fire. But can’t find the official Xbox Game Pass app on there.

Is it definitely up on the Play store, odd that it doesn’t appear.

22 minutes ago, Hass said:

Have MS announced 4k HDR streaming on this yet? I'd really love to not have to buy local hardware next generation if I don't have to.

I would imagine that's a ways off given it's currently 720p and running on Xbox One S equivalent hardware. They'll likely switch to 1080p streaming and newer hardware next year.

To be honest I don't think there's much point in streaming 4K any time soon. Bandwidth would be better spent sending a higher bitrate 1080p image, especially as the primary use case is phone and tablet screens.

12 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I would imagine that's a ways off given it's currently 720p and running on Xbox One S equivalent hardware. They'll likely switch to 1080p streaming and newer hardware next year.

To be honest I don't think there's much point in streaming 4K any time soon. Bandwidth would be better spent sending a higher bitrate 1080p image, especially as the primary use case is phone and tablet screens.

It'll be interesting to see how MS are thinking about xCloud over, say, a 5 year time horizon. My gut feeling is that streaming will ultimately replace local gaming and it's conceivable that the next generation could be the last where local hardware is offered. Much of that is contingent on how quickly low latency broadband continues it's rollout, particularly 5G. 

My sense is that MS don't want to force anything onto customers this generation after the debacle that was the original digital strategy for the One. But it'd be nice to not have to buy a Series X if you already have the network to support it.

Is streaming technically viable now then? It wasn’t too long ago, specifically around the time Antstream and Stadia launched, that I remember a few people on here laughing it off as something that could never work, due to the laws of physics. I was always quite optimistic about it, due to Google, MS, etc pursuing it, but nothing has fundamentally changed in the last few months, has it?

Just tried it on my LG G6. I think it's the older beta though because its a bit rubbish. Tried Forza 7 and Gears 5. Both had notable audio stutter and both lost the controller a few minutes into the game. In Forza my car started doing donuts mid lap and in gears JD after successfully upgrading the robot to get through a fire then ran back into the fire and died. 

Not exactly filling me with hope for the new streaming future. Saying that though it did look proper shiny on my phone's screen.

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Just tried it on my LG G6. I think it's the older beta though because its a bit rubbish. Tried Forza 7 and Gears 5. Both had notable audio stutter and both lost the controller a few minutes into the game. In Forza my car started doing donuts mid lap and in gears JD after successfully upgrading the robot to get through a fire then ran back into the fire and died. 

Not exactly filling me with hope for the new streaming future. Saying that though it did look proper shiny on my phone's screen.

I’ve found it works better on newer phones.  I’m not familiar with the LG phone lineup but that might have something to do with it. 

I had really bad stutter using a Galaxy S7 and it’s been nearly flawless on an S10e. 

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Is streaming technically viable now then? It wasn’t too long ago, specifically around the time Antstream and Stadia launched, that I remember a few people on here laughing it off as something that could never work, due to the laws of physics. I was always quite optimistic about it, due to Google, MS, etc pursuing it, but nothing has fundamentally changed in the last few months, has it?

It works and always did, it's just a much shitter way to play games

3 hours ago, jonamok said:

Side-loaded (or whatever the term is) the Google Play store onto my Kindle Fire. But can’t find the official Xbox Game Pass app on there.

Is it definitely up on the Play store, odd that it doesn’t appear.

Ooh I have a kindle fire! How did you do that? 

Just now, HarryBizzle said:

That looks like the Game Pass app rather than the xCloud app. 

Is the Beta app that all the websites link too. The white logo one.

Just doubled checked and I deffo have Ultimate.

Screenshot_20200811-204657_Game Pass Beta.jpg

5 hours ago, Mogster said:

You should see two of them, the regular one and the beta version apparently required for the streaming beta.

image.png.3a4e5d812b952148dfc9bc79df589c16.png

Ta. Unfortunately neither of those show up in a search of the Play store on my Kindle. Ho hum.

29 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Anyone have any idea why this might be happening? I have Ultimate but don't have access to Cloud.

77225403_Screenshot_20200811-203609_GamePassBeta.thumb.jpg.a1fff8536e7c2318e0ecd84110b70766.jpg611979883_Screenshot_20200811-204007_GamePassBeta.thumb.jpg.ff9ac03c3469e2702449aa05f5395978.jpg

That's a screenshot of the game pass app, not the streaming app.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's a screenshot of the game pass app, not the streaming app.

All the articles with the link to app took me to that in the Play Store. From other screenshot I've seen it should say Console, PC, Cloud. Its meant to be on the Game Pass AppScreenshot_20200811-213521_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3bb11d2e7405a7060b6483057e6daf37.jpg

This is all I get on the Streaming App

Screenshot_20200811-213421_Streaming.jpg

3 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

All the articles with the link to app took me to that in the Play Store. From other screenshot I've seen it should say Console, PC, Cloud. Its meant to be on the Game Pass AppScreenshot_20200811-213521_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3bb11d2e7405a7060b6483057e6daf37.jpg

This is all I get on the Streaming App

Screenshot_20200811-213421_Streaming.jpg

Well, they're all wrong. The game pass app is for game pass. The streaming app is for streaming, I've used it the last couple of days. It should look like this:

Screenshot_20200811-224211_Streaming.thumb.jpg.094bb0b0983d7afde8b77a9b04e008b8.jpg

I haven't found a way to set it to English :( But anyway, maybe try signing out and back in? Is ut live in every region and are you sure you live in one of the regions it's available in?

9 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Urgh. Updated but no options to play. Only to install

Where are you guys getting all this from exactly? Install is only on the game pass app for me - as in, install to my home console. There's no play button because that's all in the separate streaming app. Both apps are as up to date as I can get them and that's how it works at this moment.

Is Xcloud streaming supposed to be integrated into the game pass app? And have websites reported that today is the day that's supposed to happen or something,? 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Where are you guys getting all this from exactly? Install is only on the game pass app for me - as in, install to my home console. There's no play button because that's all in the separate streaming app. Both apps are as up to date as I can get them and that's how it works at this moment.

Is Xcloud streaming supposed to be integrated into the game pass app? And have websites reported that today is the day that's supposed to happen or something,? 

I take it you were in the preview?

Today the added a select number of games to the Gamepass Beta app with it all playable within there. 

Apparently plenty of people have the issue with no play option