rllmuk
bear

Microsoft’s xCloud Game Streaming Service

1 hour ago, Hass said:

Presumably MS are planning on closing this though? I mean, if streaming is solely about playing on the bog it's not really that compelling.

I think they plan on going to 1080p soon. 

Quite cool to just jump into a game I've played before that's available (ReCore), jump straight in and carry on where I left off without a download. That's why this sort of service beats Stadia from the off, they're building on am infrastructure I've already been invested in for years. On that front it works really well, and it's clearly classed as a beta.

But on the other hand, when it lags and slows even for a moment... this is why I wouldn't ever bother playing like this when a local option is available and rock solid in its consistency. When it's working perfectly, it's pretty good, but then "pretty good" isn't quite good enough either. Good enough would be near indistinguishable and ultimately it's little different to any other streaming solution I've tried. Everything feels like I'm controlling Arthur in RDR2. Ok, not that bad but it's towards that way.

Also I haven't got a fucking clue how to actually play ReCore any more so the thought of actually doing anything in it is instantly off-putting on that level.

Also also, some games just aren't made to be played on even an 8" screen. And by some games I mean every single one I tried.

It's alright, it doesn't change anything.

• Upvote 1

I had a quick blast of Halo 5 on my Pixel 2 XL last night. The picture was clear and crisp, and the controls were responsive enough for the pace of the game. I might buy a controller phone clip and try it out properly, but I suspect my old eyes won't enjoy extended play sessions. My son would love it though.

13 hours ago, stefcha said:

Why can you never run these fucking things on the Nvidia Shield :hmm: 

Because Google treat Android TV (or whatever it is they are calling it now) like it's a hassle for them to update and generally do a piss poor job with it?

It's a shame as the Shield is probably the best Android device there's ever been when you factor in support from the manufacturer. 

My controller clip finally arrived yesterday (just as after I caved and ordered a more expensive one on Prime).

Unfortunately it was a dire experience for me, juddery and kept losing connection. Must be my internet.

25 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

I gave it a shot and it's unplayable. It keeps saying I need to change my router frequency, but my router is single frequency only. 

Rather disappointing overall for me.  

Wonder if they mean frequency channels (ie 1-11 at 2.4GHz) which you should be able to modify, rather than frequency bands (ie 2.4GHz vs 5GHz). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, petrolgirls said:

Wonder if they mean frequency channels (ie 1-11 at 2.4GHz) which you should be able to modify, rather than frequency bands (ie 2.4GHz vs 5GHz). 

Nah it actually flashes up with change to 5hz.

17 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’ve got in after only applying two days ago, which is nice. Is it just the gamepass games or stuff you own as well?

Nope, it's a separate list of 50 games (some of which are on Gamepass), see here https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/11/14/20964411/microsoft-project-xcloud-new-games-list-50-games-support

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, replicant said:

Any recommended phone clips for a XO pad?  Using an iPhone 8plus. Thanks

I went with this: 

Womdee for Xbox One Controller Mobile Phone Clip Holder, for Xbox One Controller Clamp Phone Mount Bracket for Xbox One Controller, for iPhone, for Samsung, Sony, Huawei https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WT1J676/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Pjb2DbA7ZP7GD

Cheap but fits my S9 fine (it has a spring loaded adjustable clip for your phone). Just be warned, It took over a month to arrive though as it's from China.

I had a go using an old S7 we’ve got lying around. I think maybe the Wi-Fi antenna on it sucks because I was about 10ft from my router and was getting the dodgy Wi-Fi icon come up. 

But other than when that was an issue, it was very impressive. Crackdown 3 had the tiniest bit of lag. 

I’ll be more interested when I can play it on something with a bigger screen, like my iPad or laptop. 

On 20/11/2019 at 20:22, stefcha said:

Why can you never run these fucking things on the Nvidia Shield :hmm: 

You can sideload the app on the shield and it works. I had to use an Xbox pad with it though as the Nvidia pad doesn't get detected by the app.

From my brief play it seemed really nice. Bit low res on a big screen but going through ethernet it's been rock solid, which it wasn't on my phone through WiFi. Will have a good go on it later but initial impressions are positive.

• Upvote 1

Just got an invite for this and gave it a try. Very impressive ... Although text is tiny on my phone so when it works on a large screen it will be great. I did try casting it to the TV but that proved to be a bit laggy!

I've been messing around with the TV recently and managed to pair my Xbox controller with it and download the steam app. So been using steam library games on my TV all via WiFi and it worked well. 

Really interested to see how all this streaming tech progresses... At the moment thinking I won't need another console at all.... 

Applied yesterday.

Got sent an offer for 3 months Game Pass Ultimate for a quid this morning.

Email to say I was accepted on the trial tonight.

Dug out this...

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

And works perfect on my Xperia XZ2! Just been trying out GOW5 and FH4.

Unfortunately can't side load to my fire stick.

• Upvote 1

I only applied two days ago as well and got in. 

I've got one of those controllers and it works well on my Mi9.

Also tried a few games on my old Galaxy Tab and it again was ok, FH4 seemed a bit slow though, or maybe it was my car. 

Impressed, especially for free (mostly) too. 

14 hours ago, MattyP said:

Really interested to see how all this streaming tech progresses... At the moment thinking I won't need another console at all.... 

I reckon that the only reason to buy a console next generation will be if you've got dodgy internet. Stadia's already demonstrating this today in my living room. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

17 hours ago, jonbd said:

You can sideload the app on the shield and it works. I had to use an Xbox pad with it though as the Nvidia pad doesn't get detected by the app.

Where do you get the APK? 

Just tried this on a better connection than mine and it at least works (to an extent). There is a fair bit of input lag on Soul Calibur and Killer Instinct. Forza 4 is playable but a bit stuttery in places. 

An interesting experience but still a bit of work needed for it to be a success. 

I just tried this out too, on my mobile 4g and my home broadband. The former handled Forza 4 and overcooked fine but not amazingly. Moving to home broadband was terrible, completely unplayable. I may give some of games a go over 4g but the data will get chewed through too fast I think.