rllmuk

Microsoft’s xCloud Game Streaming Service

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/08/06/google-stadia-and-microsoft-xcloud-wont-come-to-ios-due-to-app-store-rules/

There has been speculation that Microsoft xCloud wouldn't be available on iOS, and the app's testing program was even discontinued yesterday. Apple spokespersons have now confirmed to Business Insider that all game streaming platforms, not just xCloud, won't be available on iOS because the company can't review each individual game.

It's what Jobs would have wanted. 

Apple spokespersons have now confirmed to Business Insider that all game streaming platforms, not just xCloud, won't be available on iOS because the company can't review each individual game.  Microsoft told us to jog on when we asked for 30% revenue split.

• Upvote 5
3 hours ago, TehStu said:

Couldn't they have done a Netflix? 

Which is?

If you’re referring to have people subscribe outside of the app that doesn’t seem to be the primary hang up.

Apple appear to be deciding that they need to review each game available and wouldn’t be able to (which explains the beta having only one game on it). Imagine saying Apple had to review every film on Netflix. Or song on Spotify. Oh no, games are different because they’re interactive.

Other than wilfully being shitheads and rubbing their balls in the face of their customers this makes them look like old men yelling at clouds. Like they don’t understand the rising tide of technology. Same as how music execs didn’t see music downloads coming and stupidly stood in its way for years rather than trying to lead and control the charge.

The PS Remote Play app is on iOS, and I know it’s not exactly the same thing, but that took a while to come out. Hopefully Apple will eventually relent. I assume at the moment they don’t want a competitor to Apple Arcade, but once that dies they might be more amenable. 

27 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

The PS Remote Play app is on iOS, and I know it’s not exactly the same thing, but that took a while to come out. Hopefully Apple will eventually relent. I assume at the moment they don’t want a competitor to Apple Arcade, but once that dies they might be more amenable. 

So is the Steam home streaming app, but I think they get around the rule by being essentially remote desktop apps. It's a really tenuous distinction obviously, but in reality I imagine Apple don't care because they can't possibly monetise the content on your home PS4 or PC. I imagine Microsoft will probably launch a stand alone local streaming app for iOS in the future.

I was actually considering getting an iPhone of some kind in the future as a bit of a change, before I remembered just how restricted iOS was and this is the giant nail in the coffin. It's absolutely bonkers that video streaming apps are allowed while game streaming is not, especially when Netflix arguably includes a couple of games with Minecraft: Story Mode and that Black Mirror thing.

This also strikes me as really short sighted on Apple's part. Microsoft and Google are unlikely to ever give Apple a cut of Game Pass/Stadia sales if that's what they're after, so Apple are just handing Android devices a great big USP.

• Upvote 2

Its annoying as fuck. I tested the beta on ipad and iphone when i was in London for work in January and it ran really well, Playing Halo while tipsy and full as fuck after a Bodeans!

Plus im sick of waiting on local streaming on ipad app, sometimes would like to finish off a session in bed and cant be arse using the laptop. 

The one "good" reason I can see for this from a business perspective is that Apple are worried that people would end up subscribing to services like xCloud as an alternative to their own game subscription service, and would genuinely be losing money as a result. I think I'd be more worried about people binning off iOS entirely after this though.

1 minute ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Anyone know if XCloud will be playable through a browser ?

I don't think so, as there's apparently a Windows 10 app on the way. Never say never though.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Presumably it would add to latency? I imagine one of the Apps main functions is to eliminate it. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Presumably it would add to latency? I imagine one of the Apps main functions is to eliminate it. 

Stadia works fine in Chrome, I believe, so it's possible.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Mogster said:

The one "good" reason I can see for this from a business perspective is that Apple are worried that people would end up subscribing to services like xCloud as an alternative to their own game subscription service, and would genuinely be losing money as a result. I think I'd be more worried about people binning off iOS entirely after this though.

And this is at the core of the anti-competitive investigations kicking off. Whilst I think they see themselves on the right side of that because iOS isn't the dominant mobile OS in the world I think the EU will see this differently and they'll probably try to take care to avoid this being the core reason people see for this bullshit.

4 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

It's likely. Microsoft are looking to improve gamepad support for Chromium – the foundation of Chrome, the new Edge, etc– and part of their deal with Facebook Gaming following Mixer's demise was integrating click-to-play functionality, allowing people to easily launch a game that they're watching someone stream.

• Upvote 2
18 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Stadia works fine in Chrome, I believe, so it's possible.

Does it work as well in other browsers? 

I guess Microsoft could include optimisation in Edge if some special coding is necessary. Though, if something special is necessary, it may not work since I'm under the impression that all browsers on ios are still running Safari in some way. 

2 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I guess Microsoft could include optimisation in Edge if some special coding is necessary. Though, if something special is necessary, it may not work since I'm under the impression that all browsers on ios are still running Safari in some way. 

Given that Edge and Chrome run the same rendering engine they'll be fine.

But it does present an interesting issue for others like Firefox who will want to ensure these sort of services are as effective in their browser too.

3 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Stadia's only available in Chrome as far as I'm aware, although I'm not sure if that also applies to other Chromium browsers. I doubt this applies to Chrome on iOS, as it that just uses Safari's engine like you say.

16 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Very disappointing from Apple. 

Very, but they have their own games subscription they’re pushing, Arcade, would MS allow Stadia on their console? 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Very, but they have their own games subscription they’re pushing, Arcade, would MS allow Stadia on their console? 

Android also has an Arcade style subscription service. Besides, considering how widespread iOS and Android are, blocking xCloud and Stadia would be like Microsoft blocking Stadia on Windows.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Given that Edge and Chrome run the same rendering engine they'll be fine.

But it does present an interesting issue for others like Firefox who will want to ensure these sort of services are as effective in their browser too.

It sounds like you know more about it than me, I was wondering if there might be a hyper efficient data "pipe" that could be used to bypass a lot of the other browser functions (...?) Or similar. 

I was thinking specifically about ios and browsers, where my point was that I'm under the impression that Safari is (as with chrome and Edge as you note) the blueprint for all other browsers. Presumably if some sort of low latency mode connecting direct to Xbox servers is desirable, Apple could presumably restrict access / the browser would never be written to take advantage of it. 

A lot of guesses. I don’t (obviously) know the details of how these things work. 

Probably nothing as big or subversive as that. The browser itself isn't inherently inefficient in any way. A component on the web page can have pretty much direct access to getting data to/from the network with little gubbins in the way. But they can have specific features embedded in it that other browser renders don't have (think of the reverse of when iOS Safari removed Flash support).

And yeah, on iOS the only browser is basically Safari. You can write your own but it has to use the same rendering engine as Safari (for security I believe but we can also call it "control"). So it's easy for Apple to basically prevent it working with certain services/technologies (particularly when something like xCloud and Stadia are using reasonably cutting edge features of the web).

• Upvote 1

Stadia works fine using the Edge browser since they changed to Chromium or whatever it's called. Not sure if it's listed as supported but it's what I've been using.