Microsoft xCloud Game Streaming - now powered by Series X

bear

Got an invite yesterday and so far (on iPad) it is pretty rough I have to say. I'm using a 5ghz wi-fi connection and have a more than fast enough connection, but it's really laggy with the sound glitching out all the time. It's strange because I tried it on my older android phone a while back and it wasn't bad at all on that. 

I keep getting a little icon saying that I have possible internet connection issues, but everything is fine on my end.

20 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Got an invite yesterday and so far (on iPad) it is pretty rough I have to say. I'm using a 5ghz wi-fi connection and have a more than fast enough connection, but it's really laggy with the sound glitching out all the time. It's strange because I tried it on my older android phone a while back and it wasn't bad at all on that. 

I keep getting a little icon saying that I have possible internet connection issues, but everything is fine on my end.

Long shot, but try running this and keeping an eye on the ping to your router’s IP: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ping-network-monitor/id1397401806

I was having trouble with Stadia on my iPhone, and noticed it would spike to 100ms every 10 seconds or so to my router. Resetting the iPhone network settings sorted it for a day or so, then it came back. Reinstalling iOS fixed it completely! So worth a look. At least you can rule that out.

12 minutes ago, fattakin said:

I think so, they are still using One S's in the racks until they can make enough series X's

Apparently that is where a lot of the Series X APU's are going rather than into consoles to fill shelves.

Have they said when this is coming to PC? There are some titles I'd probably be interested in streaming but don't have space for (e.g. 100Gb for Forza, which I wouldn't mind dabbling with, but wouldn't want to have it sucking up all that space long-term).

4 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Have they said when this is coming to PC? There are some titles I'd probably be interested in streaming but don't have space for (e.g. 100Gb for Forza, which I wouldn't mind dabbling with, but wouldn't want to have it sucking up all that space long-term).

If you have Ultimate, and have been invited, it's in Beta now. You should able to access it via this link if you're eligible.

17 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

The beta is both iOS and PC.

I connected my Xbox controller to my iPad but it doesn’t work in game. Anyone got any ideas?

Have you tried using it to select the game in the browser when you start?  On the PC Chrome at least, it doesn't doesn't detect the controller until you use the stick or buttons.

Turns out the Series S and X controllers are not supported by iOS at the moment. iOS 14.5, coming next week, should fix that.

Looks good enough for an iPad sized screen, to me (iPad Air 3):

Spoiler

ZvK57lL.jpg

v6JgiY4.jpg

Got an invite to the Beta yesterday. I can only assume its because I used streaming last week to complete a gamepass quest for the Jurassic park game. :sherlock:

Anyway, it worked well enough with Rain on Your Parade. One thing that is noticeable coming from playing the same on a Series X is that the load times are clearly worse even on a very simple game like that. 

Mirroring the image to a chromecast is a mess but that was just something I tried because I could, I didn't expect it to work at all. 

3 hours ago, bear said:

Anyway, it worked well enough with Rain on Your Parade. One thing that is noticeable coming from playing the same on a Series X is that the load times are clearly worse even on a very simple game like that. 

The loading times to add a bit a friction to the service.  Xcloud is running on OneS's at the moment.  They have plans to switch it to XSX chips.  That was supposed to be the first half of the year.  I'd have thought the global chip shortage might postpone that shift.

Got my invite today and very impressed with streaming to my laptop (which is on wired ethernet connection whilst I'm on the sofa) - looks great and any lag was barely perceptible.  Certainly much better than the glitchy mess which was attempting to use the android app through Bluestacks (which just ground to a halt with connection issues every two minutes).  

I think Geforce Now still has the edge and is obviously higher res but giving me Gamepass on the laptop without needing to download loads of stuff is a nice perk.

Or it would have been until I got kicked off because my kids started playing Terraria on the Xbone and the Series S.

Jeez Microsoft sort out a family account system soon please!!

I got my invite this morning and decided to try it out quickly on my MBP before work. It works well... in certain games I'd say. First booted up Morrowind and after adjusting the controller sensitivity, it felt really responsive and I couldn't honestly tell that I was playing a streaming game. Thing is, Morrowind is hardly a fast action paced game and it is quite forgiving. I next tried Doom Eternal and the controller lag was very noticeable. I also found it very difficult to aim as my brain just couldn't adjust to the lag I was seeing on screen by overcorrecting massively.  There was also a point where I had 10-20 enemies on screen all firing at me, my health was getting low and I was being hammered and I had a massive lag spike. It only lasted 3-5 seconds, but it does make me wonder whether these fast action games are currently doable on xCloud. I had the same experience on Android xCloud though on Doom Eternal, so it's not a specific OS / platform.

Thing is, I know that streaming can be done exceptionally well after having used Shadow for over a year, the lag on that was pretty much non-existent. I think it's likely down to the implementation (software) rather than infrastructure as I hardly think a french startup beats Microsoft on that. Saying that... Azure ;) I really do think that Shadow currently has a market leading solution on streaming and it's a shame as they seem to be going down the toilet (bankruptcy). I'm not helping as I recently bought a gaming PC so quit my membership.

Overall though from my quick experience I'd say it was a mixed bag. It's fine for certain games which are slower in nature. FPS / competitive games though and it's just not really up to the job. Hopefully they can address this in the future and maybe the new hardware (XSX) can help with that.

I also got an invite today and have tried a few games with a PS4 pad synced to my iPad - the streaming part is very good even on a std BT router but the load times are hard to swallow as a series x user!

I can only see me using this as a rewards game completing mechanism saving me downloading stuff, oddly I’d really like to be able to stream on the series x......

How does this work then?

I got the invite, so Ive updated my iPad to 14.5 and followed the Xbox link, but any game I click on, it gives me the option to ‘get game ready’ or something, but nothing happens.

7 minutes ago, JPL said:

How does this work then?

I got the invite, so Ive updated my iPad to 14.5 and followed the Xbox link, but any game I click on, it gives me the option to ‘get game ready’ or something, but nothing happens.

You have to add the bookmark to the homepage, like it asks you to. It then opens from there like an app. 

16 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

You have to add the bookmark to the homepage, like it asks you to. It then opens from there like an app. 

Ah right, thanks!

Cool, I got an invite this morning! And yes, iOS 14.5 has added support for Xbox Series and PS5 controllers, which should be available to install now. 

I tried it on my phone and both the audio and video is extremely choppy, to the point it’s unplayable. @Paulando what did you do to reset the network settings? Forget network and join again?

Me neither - I got all excited because I had two emails in my promotions folder, one was welcoming me to Xbox Game Pass and the other telling me you don’t need Gold for ftp games anymore. 

spent a few days trying this out at different times.  on pc it works well enough, and consistently, but on both ipad and iphone it's total toss with unplayable levels of lag and glitches.

To be honest, I was a bit confused with getting it working on the iPad. I actually downloaded the Edge browser thinking I needed that and whilst it did work, the experience was awful as it wasn't full screen and it was laggy as anything. Thanks @HarryBizzle as I've just done it and works really well.

Considering how well it works, it really impresses me what MS have managed to do and it is a nice two fingers up to Apple with with they were asking from Microsoft. Seems like this could really open the door now for more apps / streaming services on iOS. It's ridiculous they apparently needed each game be individually vetted and pushed as a separate app to stream considering given the nature of a subscription service (like films) games would be added / removed frequently.

1 hour ago, tronied said:

To be honest, I was a bit confused with getting it working on the iPad. I actually downloaded the Edge browser thinking I needed that and whilst it did work, the experience was awful as it wasn't full screen and it was laggy as anything. Thanks @HarryBizzle as I've just done it and works really well.

Considering how well it works, it really impresses me what MS have managed to do and it is a nice two fingers up to Apple with with they were asking from Microsoft. Seems like this could really open the door now for more apps / streaming services on iOS. It's ridiculous they apparently needed each game be individually vetted and pushed as a separate app to stream considering given the nature of a subscription service (like films) games would be added / removed frequently.

Nvidia have already done the same thing with GeForce Now and I believe Stadia also works this way so I suspect Apple will

fold on this shortly as they have no way of blocking it.

5 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Apple have control over every web browser on iOS. They could easily block it if they wanted to, but they don't.

Have Apple ever blocked specific websites before? I'm not sure they could blanket block game streaming sites based on the technology they use without breaking other stuff as well.

I think blocking websites would be a step too far even for Apple anyway. Their argument for blocking the apps was that they'd require separate apps for every single game on the services for the sake of certification, but they can't really use that excuse for a website.

• TehStu changed the title to Microsoft xCloud Game Streaming - now powered by Series X