IGNORED

Perfect Films

Benny

I find it hard to think of any film I'd call perfect - maybe I'm too picky because even my favourite films have qualities that I could see not going down well with other people. I adore McCabe & Mrs Miller more than anything, but the sound mixing isn't great and I can see why some might find the ambling plot off-putting. I think Sherlock Jr. is about as close to perfect as it's possible to be. 40 minutes and I don't know what else you could do to make that film better. It's funny, heartwarming, fast-paced, beautifully shot, incredible stunts, surreal, innovative.

For me ET is a prefect movie (pre cgi tinkering) , from the way the film is shot (everything is from the kids point of view or perspective), the sense of wonder and awe, loss etc.. to the score (fun fact for the final sequence Williams was having issues getting the score to work with what was filmed  from the bike chase onwards – Spielberg did something unheard of he told Williams to do the score the way he wanted and he would cut the movie to suit the score – its normally done the other way – it the reason why the final 10 /15 minutes has almost no dialogue as Spielberg  wanted the music to tell the story and sell the emotion)

Jaws for me too. 

Pedator too - incredibly enjoyable to watch. How could you make it any better?

However, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is just sublime imo. Despite having an inbuilt hatred of musicals it remains just about my fav films of all time. 

Mom also very partial to Uncle Buck which I think is as good as it could possibly be. 

10 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

@Stigweard that's interesting about Strangelove.  Dunno if you kinda have to be into the Cold War or not to appreciate it then. I absolutely adore it, but I'm a bit of a nerd for that period in our history. 

I dunno as loads of people love it. I just felt like it couldn't work out what it was trying to be at times, a war drama or a comedy. The title character barely even features in the film either. I mean it's not like I hated it and I did enjoy it, some of the comedy elements really hit, particularly General Turgidson's anxiety about letting the Soviet diplomat into the war room and his worry about the big board. It's just overall it didn't hit a home run for me.

On 09/10/2018 at 10:21, Cheyenne said:

I'm going to go with The Princess Bride. Makes for perfect group viewings, and is suitable for every age. Hilarious, quotable, thrilling, sweet, the film has everything. 98 minutes too. Wonderful.

Ooh yes. Utterly wonderful film.

As you wish. 

I feel a perfect film is one that sets out to do something and nails it. It doesn't have to be the best movie, it just needs to be all it can be.

The only one I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned is Smokey and the Bandit. 

You just have to watch any of their other similar, dreadful films to see how perfect that movie is. 

12 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

This is also a pretty amazing one:

children_of_men_by_ruizburgos-davwbyf.jp

Very good shout. And I can't believe it wasn't on my radar

The 2nd best film of the noughties

Which makes eternal sunshine another perfect film. Such an incredible decade for film

While no film is perfect the original Terminator is right up there for me.  Most people go for T2 as the best, but for me the original pisses all over it, with a superbly tight script with no bloat in there whatsoever.  Yes the FX look dated these days but still superbly plotted and acted.

That the one with Kirk Douglas as a newspaper journalist?  If yes I saw it many years back and it’s excellent but not even close to perfect.  

I stick with my original statement there is no such thing as a perfect film. 

Every frame is cinematic. The characters are superbly written. The acting is documentary real. The M83 soundtrack while limited to essentially a single track brings each scene to life. It's unapologetic in it's sex and violence. Closest to perfect film I've seen in decades. You can watch it on Netflix.

On 10 October 2018 at 09:09, papalazarou said:

For me ET is a prefect movie (pre cgi tinkering) , from the way the film is shot (everything is from the kids point of view or perspective), the sense of wonder and awe, loss etc.. to the score (fun fact for the final sequence Williams was having issues getting the score to work with what was filmed  from the bike chase onwards – Spielberg did something unheard of he told Williams to do the score the way he wanted and he would cut the movie to suit the score – its normally done the other way – it the reason why the final 10 /15 minutes has almost no dialogue as Spielberg  wanted the music to tell the story and sell the emotion)

I saw it years before becoming a prefect.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 09:09, papalazarou said:

Ha! I was thinking the other day of what other films were "perfect" and ET came immediately to mind!

Having thought about this a bit more I posit this: The only people qualified to say whether a movie is perfect or not are the Producer and the Director. For the final product is entirely their vision. The writer can say the Director did it justice, and the actors can say they are happy with their performance. But only the people who birthed and delivered the thing can really say if it delivered what they set out to achieve...?

29 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Having thought about this a bit more I posit this: The only people qualified to say whether a movie is perfect or not are the Producer and the Director. For the final product is entirely their vision. The writer can say the Director did it justice, and the actors can say they are happy with their performance. But only the people who birthed and delivered the thing can really say if it delivered what they set out to achieve...?

By this rationale Michael Bay probably thinks that he has created some of the most perfect movies ever filmed, whereas on the other end of the scale Woody Allen was very critical of Annie Hall.

18 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Every frame is cinematic. The characters are superbly written. The acting is documentary real. The M83 soundtrack while limited to essentially a single track brings each scene to life. It's unapologetic in it's sex and violence. Closest to perfect film I've seen in decades. You can watch it on Netflix.

The TV Series is pretty good too, have you seen that?  I loved the film too by the way.