rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Stejay

Quick Whitehall Mystery question

My kids gave me this today for my birthday, however they mistakenly ordered the Italian version from Amazon. I haven’t unwrapped it yet as a result, but from what I’ve seen online it appears to be fairly language independent apart from some flavour text on some cards, I think. Is this right, or should I let them exchange it?

We can’t get an English replacement until Wednesday, so they’d be no new gaming tonight, and this one was a tenner cheaper too. Do I stick with this or wait for the English print?

English rules can be found in all their colourised PDF glory here: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/78/b4/78b4b240-ec1d-416d-8486-970fb5a941c9/whitehall_mystery_rulebook_small_copy.pdf

Up to you of course but I personally think that rules aside, you should be fine to muddle your way through (or translate flavour cards as and when you use them!).

• Upvote 1

Thanks, yes, I’ve got the link for the rules already. I’m just unsure if muddling through is worth it long term, or if it may become a bit of a nuisance over time. Is the text just flavour, or rules as well? I don’t want to slow the game by having to refer to the rules constantly.

The character cards have English text to describe their (optional) special powers, and Jack has cards for his special actions; taxi, boat and alleyway which explain their rules on too.

It's not language heavy by any means but there is definitely some there.

• Upvote 1

Cheers.  We were too tired to play a new game last night in the end anyway, and so we're going to send it back for an English replacement.  I'm sure it will be easily playable, especially over time, but having the foreign text on the cards will bug me still.

• Upvote 1