IGNORED

Mega SG - New FPGA Console from Analogue

Spartan

47 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It's more compatible with Mega Drive games than a Mega Drive 2.

If you're not gonna turn it into a rombox do consider the adapters, playing JPN SMS carts and cards is an utter bitch literally any other way in the UK, it's the only region encoding the SMS has on the cards and obviously a JPN MK3 cart physically doesn't fit.

Also original GG carts on the big screen is a hell of a thing.

Oh and should you have one, (and they're not expensive to acquire) your Super NT will be very, very happy to use a real Super Game Boy.

Does the jailbreak add Super Gameboy to the Super NT? I know the FXPAK Pro has it included now! 

...so even if you don't own a real Super Gameboy, but do have an FXAK/SD2SNES, you can totally have Gameboy games up on your big screen! 

On 09/08/2021 at 16:12, auntyclimax said:

These and the Super NT are now back in restock. Go go go!

And they're still in stock a week-and-a-bit later. (Just for the historical record when, after they've sold out in future, someone claims it's 'impossible' to get Analogue hardware)

I love mine so much I want another, but that's too stupid even for me.

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Does the jailbreak add Super Gameboy to the Super NT? I know the FXPAK Pro has it included now! 

...so even if you don't own a real Super Gameboy, but do have an FXAK/SD2SNES, you can totally have Gameboy games up on your big screen! 

As Colonel Panic says, jailbreaking doesn't add this stuff no. I'd say it's actually mandatory to pick up an FXPAK if you're going down the jailbreak-ROM route with a Super NT.

You don't need one for MegaSG, I believe it even runs Virtua Racing through pure Jailbreak. Admittedly I do have a Mega Everdrive Pro, but that's because it plays Mega CD games and 32X (with 32X hardware). But for pure Mega Drive you just need the jailbreak.

31 minutes ago, ianinthefuture said:

And they're still in stock a week-and-a-bit later. (Just for the historical record when, after they've sold out in future, someone claims it's 'impossible' to get Analogue hardware)

To be fair that's because it took them about 2 years to restock the first time.

1 hour ago, ianinthefuture said:

As Colonel Panic says, jailbreaking doesn't add this stuff no. I'd say it's actually mandatory to pick up an FXPAK if you're going down the jailbreak-ROM route with a Super NT.

You don't need one for MegaSG, I believe it even runs Virtua Racing through pure Jailbreak. Admittedly I do have a Mega Everdrive Pro, but that's because it plays Mega CD games and 32X (with 32X hardware). But for pure Mega Drive you just need the jailbreak.

It's my understanding that the jailbreak actually adds support for all the assist chips though! 

30 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It's my understanding that the jailbreak actually adds support for all the assist chips though! 

On Super NT? It still doesn't have Super FX, S-DD1 or SA1 games, as far as I know. And I don't think it can have them. It's not a huge list of games to miss out on, to be fair, and it's a big step to pay £150 or whatever it is for an FXPAK on top of the Super NT just for those few games, but there are some absolute bangers in the incompatible list - Kirby's Fun Pak, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Starwing, Doom (shh I like it), and.. err.. PGA Tour 96 if you like that.

2 minutes ago, ianinthefuture said:

On Super NT? It still doesn't have Super FX, S-DD1 or SA1 games, as far as I know. And I don't think it can have them. It's not a huge list of games to miss out on, to be fair, and it's a big step to pay £150 or whatever it is for an FXPAK on top of the Super NT just for those few games, but there are some absolute bangers in the incompatible list - Kirby's Fun Pak, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Starwing, Doom (shh I like it), and.. err.. PGA Tour 96 if you like that.

It's been a while, but I remember booting up my Super NT exactly to play Yoshi's Island off the SD card. I might be wrong as I play original hardware or MiSTer most of the time. I do remember that thought. Might boot it up and check. 

The FPGA is the same as the one in the MiSTer, so should absolutely be possible! 

Worth noting there’s no save states in the jailbreak firmware, and last time I read, no plan to add them as Smokemonster thinks we just need to “git gud”.

This pisses me off for two reasons:

- Core level save states could preserve the state of both the 68k and Z80 CPUs, preventing the messed up audio issues you can get from cart-based save states which only get the 68k.

- I don’t want to save scum (barring a few exceptions), I just want to be able to play through fairly long games like Sonic 2 without having to do it all in one sitting. I’m time poor, not skill poor.

Another plus point of the Mega Everdrive Pro - save states for Master System games as well as MD. 

God I can’t stand Smokemonster. 

I dunno why people are claiming one time they played SuperFX games on the Super NT when jailbroken when I haven’t seen any reference online to actual support for SuperFX games. 

There is this issue from 2020. Have it been worked around despite no jailbreak releases in 6 months?

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak/issues/160

3 hours ago, ianinthefuture said:

I love mine so much I want another, but that's too stupid even for me.

I bought the all-white Ghostly limited edition Super NT when it came out and now regularly have to fight the urge to buy another just so I can have a regular one that looks like a Super Famicom.

10 minutes ago, ulala said:

Of course they are not supported 

3 hours ago, ianinthefuture said:

🙃

9 hours ago, Dudley said:

Oh and should you have one, (and they're not expensive to acquire) your Super NT will be very, very happy to use a real Super Game Boy.

Does it care whether it's a PAL or NTSC unit?

One thing I didn't realise until recently about the Super Game Boy is that the clock speed is all wrong. Fixed in the Super Game Boy 2.