Mega SG - New FPGA Console from Analogue

Spartan

Got my 8bitdo 2.4G Pads yesterday and all is working well. One thing I’ve noticed though is that while the LED on Megadrive pad turns off when it’s finished charging, the green LED on the SNES/SFC pad never goes off. 

Anyone had similar? Seems to work fine although I’ve only had a couple of hours using it. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Sybernetix said:

So just accidentally bought a Mega SG on ebay for £171 (brand new!). Never owned a Sega Megadrive so no idea what games I should be looking at first. Any recommendations?

yeah, an x7 everdrive and all the games.

5 minutes ago, Sybernetix said:

I was going to get an Everdrive Pro, for the CD games... worth?

I’d definitely get it over the X7. As well as Mega CD, you get save state support for SMS/SG1000 games too, which no-one apart from me cares about. 

19 minutes ago, Sybernetix said:

So just accidentally bought a Mega SG on ebay for £171 (brand new!). Never owned a Sega Megadrive so no idea what games I should be looking at first. Any recommendations?

Some personal favourites:

- Battle Mania Daiginjou

- Hellfire

- Ghouls n Ghosts

- Rolling Thunder 2

- Atomic Runner Chelnov

- Lord Monarch

- Cyber Police ESWAT

- Gauntlet IV

- Ys III

- Musha Aleste

- Madou Monogatari / Sorcery Saga

- Cave Story (homebrew port)

Other favourites that a newcomer should probably experience:

- Alien Soldier

- Super Shinobi I & II

- Castlevania Bloodlines

- Gunstar Heroes

- Bare Knuckle III

- Phantasy Star IV

- Contra Hard Corps

- Dynamite Headdy

I guess the lists can go on for quite a bit as the library is pretty broad and diverse, especially once you factor in aftermarket releases and mods. It was Gunstar Heroes and the strong shooter library that had me itching to own Mega Drive once again, but in recent years I've found a lot of joy exploring games I once ignored or are only now accessible in English (such as Lord Monarch).

Would also add Shining Force 1 & 2, Streets of Rage 2, Rocket Knight Adventures and Sparkster to the list above.

I also have a soft spot for Alien 3, its not an amazing game and is probably the worst movie-to-game tie in when it comes to being accurate to the source material, but its still a lot of fun to play. 

The Mortal Kombat games and NBA Jam are also really solid on the mega drive as well.

10 hours ago, Sybernetix said:

I was going to get an Everdrive Pro, for the CD games... worth?

remember that the official non-offical firmware update allows you to play roms, no need for an everdrive to play megadrive, mastersystem or gg or coleco roms

11 hours ago, Sybernetix said:

Super Fantasy Zone is my favourite discovery from this year.

Wiz 'n' Liz is another I've been hooked on. I reckon Yuji Naka got inspiration from Wiz 'n' Liz for NiGHTS. Lots of similarities.

There's a lot of obvious recommendations so I'll skip those.

Give Sonic Spinball a chance, it's a very unique game.

If you're going to ever get people involved and more controllers, Micro Machines 2,96 and Military can do 8 player on 4 controllers.

Flicky is a very, very early MD platformy arcade thing and it's bloody great. It's also where the characters for Sonic 3D came from.

Fifa 95 is the only machine exclusive Fifa there ever was so novelty value.

Psycho Pinball is the only pinball game I can stand not made by DICE

Plenty of Amiga games have acceptable and much easier to get running versions on MD such as Zool, Lotus 2 and 3 (called Lotus and Lotus 2 on MD), Syndicate,  the James Pond games....

NHLPA 93 is no question the best ice hockey game. Do not @ me as they say.

And of course you also now have a Master System, I could go on for some time there but if you're going real cart, Enduro Racer is a forum favourite and dirt cheap.

On 23/09/2021 at 08:18, ulala said:

remember that the official non-offical firmware update allows you to play roms, no need for an everdrive to play megadrive, mastersystem or gg or coleco roms

This. It's not like the SNES where you need a ROM cart to play special chip games. Mega SG plays everything out of the box with official non-official firmware, including Virtua Racing. Jailbreak firmware can't play Virtua Racing, my mistake.

If you got an Everdrive it'd be for Mega CD games and, if you could be bothered with the hardware and palaver, 32X games. I tried the latter; don't bother.

Thank you gents! and good tip on the firmware ill be sure to make that modification especially as you say no special chips (except virtual racer I would hazard a guess). Got an 8bitdo pad too :) shame i cannot hook it up to the PVM.

I mean the SNES isn't a nightmare, you just* get an FX Pak and it plays 99.9% of things with only some... I don't know, Sudoku games or some crap not working.

What issues does NES emulation have? Never dipped into it much, so not aware of anything there.

*for 'just' £130 or whatever it is

13 hours ago, Sybernetix said:

Thank you gents! and good tip on the firmware ill be sure to make that modification especially as you say no special chips (except virtual racer I would hazard a guess). Got an 8bitdo pad too :) shame i cannot hook it up to the PVM.

Oh you absolutely can hook it up to the PVM, but as with everything Analogue does it costs a chunk of change more. https://www.analogue.co/dac

• 2 weeks later...

So i bought myself a dac for my mega sg and for some reason it will not stop syncing on green; at least thats what I believe since yanking the green bnc breaks sync. No idea whats doing it and nothing seems to work.

PXL_20211001_222926334.MP.jpg

PXL_20211001_224838456.MP.jpg

3 hours ago, Sybernetix said:

So i bought myself a dac for my mega sg and for some reason it will not stop syncing on green; at least thats what I believe since yanking the green bnc breaks sync. No idea whats doing it and nothing seems to work.

PXL_20211001_222926334.MP.jpg

PXL_20211001_224838456.MP.jpg

Sorry I don't know about the green thing but I noticed the traditional colour overscan zone mega drive colour ( blue here, always annoyed me on the original hardware :)). If you didn't already know there's an option on the MegaSg to not have this anymore and it just be black.

On 24/09/2021 at 10:29, ianinthefuture said:

I mean the SNES isn't a nightmare, you just* get an FX Pak and it plays 99.9% of things with only some... I don't know, Sudoku games or some crap not working.

What issues does NES emulation have? Never dipped into it much, so not aware of anything there.

*for 'just' £130 or whatever it is

I don't mean it's a fucking nightmare to play but to support properly. The NES has about eleventy trillionty on cart chips.

2 hours ago, merrychan said:

Sorry I don't know about the green thing but I noticed the traditional colour overscan zone mega drive colour ( blue here, always annoyed me on the original hardware :)). If you didn't already know there's an option on the MegaSg to not have this anymore and it just be black.

yeah factory resetting everything to make sure its not any settings i may have messed with. I so wish it was! Ive contacted Analogue to see what they say. Hopefully they aint douches on the fact i bought the dac from ebay. 

12 hours ago, Sybernetix said:

yeah factory resetting everything to make sure its not any settings i may have messed with. I so wish it was! Ive contacted Analogue to see what they say. Hopefully they aint douches on the fact i bought the dac from ebay. 

that wouldn’t be them being douches

your contract is with the seller from eBay, nothing to do with analogue now

1 hour ago, Sybernetix said:

yeah it was a bit strong, but not giving support (not a replacement) is silly when you just want someone using your products to be happy with them surely?

if they had sold you the product, absolutely.

but they didn’t, you purchased it “untested” I assume from an eBay seller.

if it was sold as working, get your money back from the seller, your paypal or credit card

what you cannot do it badger analogue. Either for a replacement or tech support. If analogue help you anyway, that’s a bonus and kudos to them.

if they say sorry, not our problem then that’s fine too. The only douches are either...

1) the seller if they described it as working

2) you, But only if you got it as “untested” and expect it to work.

What did you buy it as, and can you get your money back?