New Intellivision waste of time.

8 hours ago, ZOK said:

I think the only time I ever played on an Intellvision was in Boots, that soccer game, and it seemed relatively uncontrollable with the pad.

WH Smiths, Stockport town centre. I used to play Soccer on that Intellivision all the time.  Probably for hours. It looked so real!

8 hours ago, ZOK said:

I think the only time I ever played on an Intellvision was in Boots, that soccer game, and it seemed relatively uncontrollable with the pad.

WH Smiths, Stockport town centre. I used to play Soccer on that Intellivision all the time.  Probably for hours. It looked so real!

51 minutes ago, ZOK said:

That wasn’t the one I was thinking of...in my mind it was like this, seems to be an old speccy stick:

veryoldjstick.jpg

I don’t think it was the intellivision, but I don’t know where I ever came across one like this either! In my mind it was brown - maybe just a false memory...

We had a couple of those and used them with a Dragon32. :)

I’m certain I never played on a Dragon though...maybe there was something like it for the BBC Micro and they had them in school or something?

For the avoidance of confusion, I don’t just mean a non-centring stick, but a controller with that weird ‘handle stuck to a box’ design.

16 hours ago, Trumpets said:

The Intellivision© was 16 bit??

technically yes as it had a CP1610 processor which was 16 bit

however the clock speed was very slow and the addressing/bus was only 10-bit meaning it never really used the full 16-bit capacity.

• 1 year later...

For something that is possibly eagerly awaited by some, this is very underwhelming way to reveal Earthworm Jim 4. And probably isn't even representative of what the game will end up looking like (not that there's anything impressive there). 

A lot of people are taking the mickey out of the whole Amico endeavour but I think they're looking at it from the wrong angle. This is clearly supposed to be the "Wii Sports" approach for more traditional games and I think I like it. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're gonna have Missile Command in pubs like they did Wii Bowling, but it's the same kind of accessibility. When I stay with family my parents rarely come into the console room, they just don't get modern games. The Amico is clearly supposed to sit under the living room telly for a quick game after tea or while waiting for a show to start, which funnily enough is what we got our parents doing a few times with It's Quiz Time on the PS4 with our phones, which the Amico controllers resemble. Games like Spades, Battletanks and Cornhole (teehee!) will do really well for that, I think, as well as the bomb disposal one.

On the other hand, there aren't too many couch multiplayer games these days. I play precisely one (1) online game: Overwatch. The last three games I played co-op offline were Streets of Rage 4, Golden Axe and Windjammers exactly because they're good for a quick blast while having a beer and a yap. (Shout out to the time my local pub put Streets of Rage 2 on the projector) Some of these games look great for that, Nitro Derby (hell yeah Super Off Road!) and Space Strike (sort of a slower-paced Windjammers?) in general.

Plus new Earthworm Jim, new platform-mascot platformer that looks a bit like Dragon's Trap and screenshots of something in another Amico vid that looks suspiciously like Ecco the Dolphin? Hell yeah.

The Amico isn't the kind of thing you buy at GAME (granted, nothing should ever be bought at GAME), it's something you grab from Argos, if you know what I mean. It's like a videogame Amazon Echo, sort of, meets one of the mini consoles. I like it. Also if it doesn't gain a huge foothold in south America and India way on I'm gonna be really surprised.

That's an interesting take @Johnson Geoffrey Johnson you could well be right and I think the Argos vs Game analogy fits well.

I'm only vaguely aware of the device. It is great to see a new Earthworm Jim on the horizon though. Is it exclusive?

22 minutes ago, AI1 said:

What happened to that yellow Game Boy with the crank?

Oh yeah and that next gen Atari. A lot of these niche consoles coming out these days. The Spectrum Next team delivered, so I'm happy anyway. :)

• 6 months later...

I've pre-ordered one of these from Amazon STOP LAUGHING :)   

Purely because Amazon don't take the money yet.  ( April release apparently ) 

Gives me time to put some cash aside for it, and  cancel it if things are going that way.   

At the moment?  it looks like a real " Thing "  and hey, R-Type is coming out on it...

249.99 though.   OUCH

If it turns out to be shite, i will sell it at a loss.  Hey at least i can do some kind of youtube video on it.

We can all laugh but I heard an interview with Rebecca Heinemann where she talked about the market for this console and it's not meant to compete with Microsoft or Sony or even Nintendo. It's more of a competitor for Atari Flashback and other systems of that ilk. To be bought by grandparents who recognise the name and just want to play casually on something and have something there at their place for when the grandkids visit.

I think they've some great ideas for online social play that the vast majority of multiplayer games don't cater to, but coupled to hardware that so few care about.

I play a lot of fighting games, for example, and they're stuck offering 1-on-1 modes when I crave coop with friends against randoms. Team leaderboards for up to 8 per team, enjoying team battles with 1 or 2 mates. Fighting devs don't recognise that a lot of players'd love to put cooperation ahead of rank (I'd be the best in my team at Tekken 7 and wouldn't mind). I'd love to see more interconnected play like the speedruns in Astro's Playroom.

It's frustrating that most efforts to recreate the social aspect of arcades happened near the start of the 360's gen. I don't play nearly as much as I used to online because of all the salt, but I don't think that's all on us when so many online modes are — removed from same-room play — toxic. And it seems to be getting worse with pay-to-win nonsense.

Back in the day my ex bought me a compilation of Intellivision games for the PS2 and most of them were rubbish but I really enjoyed Night Stalker. And this looks like a neat update.

There's a demo of Astrosmash in action here along with the hardware. Again I think if it's cheap enough it's going to find an audience with casual players over 45 in the US, Australia and other territories where the Intellivision had an audience.

The sad thing is; most of these games are just basic mechanics that new game devs will usually cut their teeth on, so for everything shown there's going to be 100s of other versions and evolutions out there...

I think that's why this all seems pretty unremarkable to us all.

Astrosmash was a fucking top  Intellivision title and I’m cautiously optimistic about this remake.

I preordered a wood grain founders edition Amico back in January 2020 and have no regrets.

As a kid back in 80/81, the Intellivision was a revelation and a marked step up from my Atari VCS, with wonderful games like Dungeons and Dragons, Burgertime, LocknChase, Tron Deadly Discs. When the ColecoVision hit the scene, it was an even bigger upgrade, but for a while the Intellivision was state of the art. 

I’d rather play Astrosmash than the latest COD any day.

11 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

We can all laugh but I heard an interview with Rebecca Heinemann where she talked about the market for this console and it's not meant to compete with Microsoft or Sony or even Nintendo. It's more of a competitor for Atari Flashback and other systems of that ilk. To be bought by grandparents who recognise the name and just want to play casually on something and have something there at their place for when the grandkids visit.

It’s £250.