Ken Ishii - Extra (video by Akira director Koji Morimoto)

acidbearboy

I remember buying the Ken Ishii - Stretch remix 12" in Tower Records in 1996 because it was on R&S Records and it had cool anime artwork and big Japanese looking text on it (I was 14 at the time and into that sort of thing). Upon taking it home I was pleased to find a couple of Techno bangers on there and a rather lovely DnB remix that I recognised from an LTJ Bukem essential mix. Some years later I picked up Ken Ishii's Jelly Tones album that the single Stretch was taken from. I tried a few times over the years, but I never got into it. Going back to it again this week, it still sounds pretty boring. The remixes of Stretch are all better than the original album version and the only other track on the LP I like is the other single "Extra", which is good but nothing special.

Whilst reading the sleeve notes, I noticed that the cover illustrations were by Koji Morimoto, who was the director of Akira. It turns out he directed a music video for Extra. I can't believe I didn't know about this! The music and the visuals work so well together that it turns a good track into an excellent one!

*** Seizure warning - contains multiple instances of flashing imagery *** 

*** Also some NSFW-ish content ***

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He occasionally hit the spot for me but he was meant to be Japan's answer to Detroit - and i don't think he was. But that was more my lack of understanding of his thing i guess. For me Detroit techno was alway about the strings and pads or the driven funk. And quality electro.

• 2 weeks later...

Biking on my way home from some uni party after the sun had set, seeing the neon ads in the city scroll by always reminded me of that awesome video clip. And Akira of course.

Took me ages to find that video clip online, back in 2001. In the end I managed some blurry quicktime file, but at least I could watch it at my own leisure. The only time I had ever seen it up to then, was during that weird section on MTV they showed after midnight, that also featured Aeon Flux.

Brilliant -if a bit violent- piece of anime.