IGNORED

Star Trek: Lower Decks

JohnC

The whole initial premise of the third episode could only have been written by someone who's watched a lot of Star Trek. Still rather silly though.

Spoiler

But the gag at the very end genuinely made me laugh, so it's doing something right.

Well I thoroughly enjoyed the season finale!

Look what happens when people who can write actual characters are given a new Trek show for once. A bit of knockabout fun with some nostalgia thrown in.

God, Discovery sucks.

Overall it's pretty throwaway, and can't quite settle on the tone it wants to follow until the end of the series, but I think a second season could end up being very good if it stays consistent with where it went with the finale.

3 hours ago, Benny said:

After the whole

Hide contents

Ship fly by bit

In Episode 9 I honestly can't tell if it's being reverent or taking the piss. I think it's treading a very nice line in subtle roasting that works pretty well for Trek.

It was a nice mixture of the 2, IMO. A brilliant pisstake of TMP.

15 hours ago, Benny said:

After the whole

Hide contents

Ship fly by bit

In Episode 9 I honestly can't tell if it's being reverent or taking the piss. I think it's treading a very nice line in subtle roasting that works pretty well for Trek.

I just finished the season - bit of both, I think, like you.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Anyone know why they ended up with uniforms from both eras for that last bit?

There have been plenty of examples of different uniforms being used at the same time. TNG + DS9, which I always assumed was some ship/station thing but then everyone wore them. Generations has a mishmash of those uniforms for no good reason. Discovery + Enterprise had different uniforms. One was deep space for looking friendly, while Discovery was a boring jump suit for a boring TV show. 

While there is fast communication and replicators making whatever you want, it generally seems like you end with the uniform you start a mission with too. Why didn't Voyager get some new threads later in the series?

The real answer of course is that it's a silly telly show. 

2 hours ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Loved the final episode of this. A few bits had me with a smile on my face. 

If they can build on that then I’m looking forward to what comes next. 

Yep. I mean it's not without its flaws, and comedy is always subjective, but for me it was the most straightforwardly enjoyable Star Trek series for 20 years, with genuinely likeable characters too. I'd take more Lower Decks over Discovery or Picard any day.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Binged through the series this last week and really enjoyed it. Its silly but sometimes I just need that.

Some of the jokes are really great, especially if you know you're Trek. Loads of little nods. I love how Ransom looks like Chris Pine and fights like Kirk with a double handed smash. I also like how it calls the Federation out on their BS too.

I honestly think my favourite gag in the whole show though was the one about Enterprise and Archers team right at the end of episode 10. Such a great joke.

Looking forward to season 2.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The new series started today in the US. Since I happened to be in erm Texas. Yes Texas at the moment I've been able to watch it. V.good

Spoiler

Loved that they stopped Ransom by kicking him in the balls over and over again. Also Riker is insane.

I enjoyed that first episode quite a bit, makes sense they would open with something "exciting" to get you back in. Took a while to adjust to the tone again after watching so much DS9 recently mind.

I think it being slightly madcap and irreverent means the more modern pew pew and bombast doesn't quite harm it anywhere near as much as the equivalent nonsense in Discovery or Picard. And also the main thing is it seems to have better writers.

Spoiler

Riker's line at the end was honestly exactly something you would expect Riker could say, even if he would never actually say something like that in TNG. So it might be weird, but it still somehow feels like it fits his character. That's basically the fine line the whole show has been treading, with overall success I think.

17 hours ago, Benny said:

I enjoyed that first episode quite a bit, makes sense they would open with something "exciting" to get you back in. Took a while to adjust to the tone again after watching so much DS9 recently mind.

I think it being slightly madcap and irreverent means the more modern pew pew and bombast doesn't quite harm it anywhere near as much as the equivalent nonsense in Discovery or Picard. And also the main thing is it seems to have better writers.

Reveal hidden contents

Riker's line at the end was honestly exactly something you would expect Riker could say, even if he would never actually say something like that in TNG. So it might be weird, but it still somehow feels like it fits his character. That's basically the fine line the whole show has been treading, with overall success I think.

Spoiler

Don’t forget that Captain Riker is basically a blank slate at this point outside of the novels, so they can do what they like.  Plus I imagine Frakes had some input.

There's some good material that I feel they need to let simmer before bringing to the boil. It all feels a little rushed. Earn the laughs a little bit. 

You can see the jokes in Always Sunny a mile off - but they spend time folding those eggs gently into the cake mix on their way to delivering a beautiful cake from the oven. 

They're also going to run out of Trek lore gags in no time at all if they don't slow down. 

The opening credits and music are fantastic.